Am I being a jerk? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Am I being a jerk?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Am I being a jerk?

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:29 pm

This week, I play the worst team in the league, so I was looking ahead to next week's matchup. His team has McNabb at QB who has a bye that week and his other QB is Warner (who also has a bye and may not even start anyway). There were only a few starting QBs on the FA list: Brunell, Wright, McCown and Losman (it's a deep league).

I had an empty spot on my roster, so eventhough I don't need another QB, I picked up Brunell. Is this a smart move or am I just being a d**k?

I think it's sound strategy. He could have picked up another QB anytime after Warner went down.
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1crzydmnd » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:32 pm

Wise move IMO. If the owner doesn't have the foresight to look and see when bye weeks will cause problems, then it's their loss.
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:33 pm

Well, you're really reaching.

I wouldn't say your tactic is unethical, but I wouldn't say it is effective either.

You can't pick up all the starters... He will be ok if he picks up McCown IMO.

Now if you were to talk to other teams and get them all to pick up the remaining starting QB's from the wire, THEN I would say you're a jerk. Don't do that by the way....
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:35 pm

Its shrewd, but I don't see anything ethically wrong with it. I mean, it'd be one thing if you went through every possible start at QB on the FA, and picked them up and dropped them, so they now were waivers, and if your opponent was planning on picking up a QB on saturday they'd be screwed, that would be one uncalled for, but this is just business.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:35 pm

If you're playing in a Yahoo public, then it's not legal.

Yahoo! Fantasy Football Rules wrote:No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

If it's a private league, then it says only the commissioner can enforce the rules. So, as long as he doesn't, you can do whatever basically.

Personally, I don't like to do that sort of stuff...but I guess it's up to the individual to do it or not.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:38 pm

Planning ahead for bye weeks is just sound strategy. I'm not even sure what you're doing will be effective, since the other guy can still just pick up a guy like McCown or Holcomb just as easily.

But sometimes it can really work out for you.. like back in Week 2, I looked ahead and saw Baltimore D would be off the next week, so I wanted to get an early pick on D's for that week without going through waivers.. I ended up scooping up TB (still available at the time), and now I have the best 1-2 defence combo in the league.. ;-D
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:39 pm

I personally don't think their is anything wrong with that. Its just hindsight and strategy when preparing for the team you are facing. I mean I personally havent done that but its a decent strategy but it could backfire b/c McCown might have a good game.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:43 pm

McCown's got a bye that week, too.
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:47 pm

All I can say is "Smooth!" ;-D Screw em if he's a lazy owner.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:50 pm

Hmm you mean week 6 then?

Yeah, it may help. His options will be pretty limited. I don't feel sorry for the guy. The way he is managing his team, he may not pick up any WW QB.

Like Mercerboy said though... I would check your league rules to see if there is some clause that forbids this. Otherwise I see no problem with it.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach