Am I being a jerk? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Am I being a jerk?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:12 am

There are some things that I for sure think are unethical...others not so much. This is a not so much.

In one of my money leagues, my friend and commish basically did this same thing to me. He knew I had Favre coming up on a bye week, so he grabbed Eli off the waivers as his 3rd QB. Eli has yes looked good so far and I knew he would probably get picked up anyway, but I was banking on being able to grab him after this week, as Gonzo has a bye, and I dont allow for tons of open roster spots for crappy TEs, Ks and QBs.

I didnt think anything of it, I called him a prick while laughing and we went back to watching our MNF game and our beer.

Since you did in fact leave starting QBs for him to pick up then I see nothing wrong. I mean hell, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes. The guys you left out there still could have a really good game against you.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:22 am

I see nothing wrong with picking up players to keep them out of opponents' hands ... as long as you use roster spots to do so.

Picking up players and immediately dropping them just to extend their stay on the waiver wire is a different matter, though. That's something I'd stay away from.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:44 pm

Arlo wrote:I see nothing wrong with picking up players to keep them out of opponents' hands ... as long as you use roster spots to do so.

Picking up players and immediately dropping them just to extend their stay on the waiver wire is a different matter, though. That's something I'd stay away from.

I agree, our roster has 14 spots 8 starters and 6 bench players.
If you want to have 6 QBs on your bench thats fine with me. But you will give up your depth at RB WR etc.

Now someone who just drops the same spot over and over (aka churning) really is taking up many more spots than they should. If someone did that to me I would respond by churning 100 players a wk. Believe me by next yr. my league would have a rule against churning.

Yes we do have a rule against it. My advice don't do it. Its bs plain and simple.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ampant » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:41 pm

Nothing wrong with it, as far as I am concerned. Basically, you are picking up a player who has value. Even if you would never start him, if a player has value to another owner, then he has tangential value to you. Besides, think of it as a defensive move. It directly benefits you to prevent him from using that player against you.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Previous

Return to Football Talk