The Cafe's "sleeper" column - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Cafe's "sleeper" column

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Cafe's "sleeper" column

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:18 pm

Should we rename this the "defensive sleeper" column? Or maybe the "deep, deep, so-deep-you'd-never-have-the-guy-on-your-roster-in-1,000,000-years sleeper" column?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dave416 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:28 pm

Odell Thurman - Defense
Michael Pittman - Offense
Angelo Crowell - D
Patrick Crayton - O
Kelly Holcomb - O
Neil Rackers - O (Special Teams)
Joe Jurevicius - O
Kirk Morrison - D
Kerry Rhodes - D
Ben Utecht - O
Robert Ferguson - O
Kick Returners - N/A
Courtney Anderson - O
Paul Edinger - O
Peerless Price - O
Jermaine Wiggins - O
Willie Parker - O
Mewelde Moore - O
Brian Westbrook - O
Greg Lewis - O
DD Lewis - D
Minnesota Defense - not an IDP, but I'll give it to ya
Sebastian Janikowski - O
Detroit Defense - D
Frank Gore - O
LaMont Jordan- O

Only 7 of the last 26 are defense, and 2 of those 7 are team defenses. And if you look back further, the correlation is more of the same. Pretty baseless argument IMO, unless I am missing something.

Also, the majority of these players could be very valuable pieces on a fantasy team. The young defeners could also be valuable in keeper leagues and/or down the road.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:33 pm

I have some gripes about the sleeper column, but mostly in that the "sleepers" tend to be guys that have already busted out for a big game/games. The distribution/availability/deepness of the sleepers seems to be fine.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:16 pm

dave416 wrote:Only 7 of the last 26 are defense, and 2 of those 7 are team defenses. And if you look back further, the correlation is more of the same. Pretty baseless argument IMO, unless I am missing something.

7 of 26 overall, but 4 of the last 9 are defense. Before that zero of 11. So it's a trend.

It's just dissapointing to me to see reference to sleepers that will be of valuable only to leagues with IDP's, since every league uses offensive players.

This is constructive critisicm, or so it is intended to be.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby onnestabe » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:15 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:
dave416 wrote:Only 7 of the last 26 are defense, and 2 of those 7 are team defenses. And if you look back further, the correlation is more of the same. Pretty baseless argument IMO, unless I am missing something.

7 of 26 overall, but 4 of the last 9 are defense. Before that zero of 11. So it's a trend.

It's just dissapointing to me to see reference to sleepers that will be of valuable only to leagues with IDP's, since every league uses offensive players.

I understand where you are coming from, because a couple times last year the sleeper column seemed to get in an IDP rut. But this year, I am participating in an IDP-only league, so I have a greater appreciation for the IDP content here.

The fact is, the moment any news comes (be it a big game, injury, suspension, etc.) out that may lead to there being a potential offensive sleeper out there, the forums here at the Cafe have a thread with two pages of posts on the subject. The forums are generally so up-to-date that the only sleepers that wouldn't be old news to most Cafe-ers are IDPs. I see your issue more as a testament to the timeliness all of the posters in the Football Leftovers forum.

Anyway, just wanted to get my two cents in and throw a little love the Cafe's way.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby dave416 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:28 pm

onnestabe wrote:
Wesley Walker wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, because a couple times last year the sleeper column seemed to get in an IDP rut. But this year, I am participating in an IDP-only league, so I have a greater appreciation for the IDP content here.

The fact is, the moment any news comes (be it a big game, injury, suspension, etc.) out that may lead to there being a potential offensive sleeper out there, the forums here at the Cafe have a thread with two pages of posts on the subject. The forums are generally so up-to-date that the only sleepers that wouldn't be old news to most Cafe-ers are IDPs. I see your issue more as a testament to the timeliness all of the posters in the Football Leftovers forum.
Anyway, just wanted to get my two cents in and throw a little love the Cafe's way.

This is also good reason in my opinion. And, I don't think it is always for fantasy purposes (although it primarily is). But, for example, many may not know a name like Kirk Morrison. But, after you read about him and maybe see him during the game, you know the name and his impact/place on the team. I appreciate that aspect as well.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby s0meguy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:29 am

Yeah I've always been pretty disappointed with the sleeper column on this site. Very happy with everything else, but you are right about the sleeper column. It seems like every time I check it, listed there is either an IDP or a player that I wouldn't have on my roster in a 20 team league.
Ragin Cajuns on year #4
s0meguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby awwchrist » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:39 am

Allow me to preface my following response. It's not a jaded retort. It's ment to be as critically constructive as your comments.

Ready?

If you don't like the boston creme filled donuts or the glazed twists, then feel free to stop off in the morning and buy your own.

The Cafe is, and will always be, a community effort. By all means, submit a regular sleeper column. Let's see what YOU got.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:21 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:7 of 26 overall, but 4 of the last 9 are defense. Before that zero of 11. So it's a trend.

It's a random distribution, not a trend. ;-)

Seriously, though, I don't see five IDPs in the last 29 sleepers as an overwhelming number, particularly with more and more leagues using individual defenders. Finding good IDP information isn't easy, and I think doing something to support owners who play that format is important.

We've expanded the ever-more-inappropriately-named Sleeper of the Week column to include more and more players, which means we have room to spotlight players relevant to all sorts of formats and depths. Not so long ago, we probably only would have run a piece on Michael Pittman this week; instead, there were features on Pittman, Odell Thurman, and Najeh Davenport. I think this benefits everyone, both IDP leaguers and those who play in more traditional formats.

And aww's right: anybody can influence the direction the Sleepers column takes. If anyone would like to write up a particular player as a sleeper, just shoot me a PM. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:14 pm

IDPs are the future of fantasy football, in a few years there will be almost no teams without IDPs.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk