Cadillac Williams - overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cadillac Williams - overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cadillac Williams - overrated?

Postby caneblood » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:40 pm

OK so I just looked at his games and he played Minnesota, Buffalo, Green Bay and Detroit

Looking at defensive stats, Buffalo and Minnesota have the worst run defenses in the league (total yards allowed and YPC). Against GB (not a great run defense either), Caddy got 37 carries to achieve his numbers.

Initially, everyone thought he was great because of the way he ran over Buffalo but now it turns out everyone runs all over Buffalo. Same with Minnesota.

The only average run defense he faced was Detroit and he had 11 carries for 13 yards (though he may have been hurt so I don't really count that game). Detroit is just average.

Moving forward he needs to play Carolina twice (one of the best run defenses), Atlanta twice and Miami (#1 run defense YPC), Washington (#5 run defense yards per game) and NE once each. Plus he's hurt and won't play this week and when he gets back they may reduce his load.

What do you guys think? Right now people are valuing him as a top 5 type RB and I'm thinking his value moving forward may be significantly less.
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:57 pm

Some very good points Cane but in my eyes Caddy is a top 12 back. I think its still good but I can actual name 12 backs in the league , IMO , better than him. Now my top 11 may not have the same numbers right now as him but I dont put him in the top 5.
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby benjapage » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:00 pm

yes, i tried to get rudi for him straight up and was staunchly declined.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Roseman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:00 pm

I would say he is over valued he has put up his #s against some of the softer run Ds in the league and only time will tell what his real value is. He has a tough schedule coming up and his true colours will show through.

Remember he is still a rookie so he has a lot to learn
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Kingctb27 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:06 pm

Of course he is over-rated. Any Rookie that had 450 yards after 3 games is always going to be over-rated.
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warhawk » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:22 pm

Yes he's overrated, but the problem is, a lot of people who don't like the fact that he's overrated have resorted to saying that he's not a good running back at all, and that's not true either. He's played in four games, let's not start calling his career a hall-of-fame success or a horrible failure just yet. ;-D
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby sappisgod » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:04 am

As a Bucs fan I must say, yes he's been highly overrated. He's still a very good back, and I do believe he'll still produce very well. But after the GB game, the sports media made him out to be the greatest thing since Mike Vick(aka Jesus). Especially in fantasy football, where everyone overreacts to performances and stats. He has 3 good games and Brandon Funston is ready to crown him king of the world, the next week everyone is yelling "SELL! SELL!"

I think, as long as the injury doesn't linger, this will be good for him. He's had three 3-game streaks like that at Auburn, and let's just say he was well rested in the games before and after that. He just didn't seem like the same back on Sunday. He didn't have the same burst, he wasn't finishing runs as well. Maybe this will send the message to Gruden that he doesn't need that many carries!

Ironically my main concern about Caddy, aside from Gruden running him 50 times a game, is the Anthony Davis comes back strong. Todd Steussie just doesn't open holes like him. With a healthy Caddy, Buenning and Davis opening holes for him, he should be good.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby caneblood » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:40 am

Thanks guys,

At least I know I'm not crazy. I agree he's good but unlike the pundits, I just can't crown him as the next Payton just yet.

In my main league I offered Mike Anderson for him straight up just because I'm worried about Anderson losing more carries to Bell.
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby gatorman1122 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:19 pm

Gruden does seem to overuse Cadillac quite a bit. Gruden needs to put Pittman more in the game to help reduce the Caddy's workload so the Cadillac won't run out of gas come playoff time.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:45 pm

Every player in the history of the game that has had a good game, a good stretch of games, a good season or a good career has been accused of being overrated at some point. Overrating people is overrated. If he gets the job done for you, it's good enough. Can you overrate a player after 3 games? No. You need to watch the whole season and base it on that. Overrated is the player that gets hyped before he ever touches the ball, then consistently fails you when you need him (Cough cough...Michael Vick...cough cough).
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk