I'm new to F Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I'm new to F Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

I'm new to F Football

Postby djack909 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:11 am

So new, that I had only ever heard of 3 of the players on my team. Could you list some sites a beginner should see ?
djack909
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:09 am

This one is a good start.

I've been a long time football fan, and was aware of most of the players on the cheat sheets, but this is my first year in FF as well. What I did to prepare was start googling player rankings from all manner of sources, and settled on a couple sites cheat sheets (your guess is as good as mine on which ones at this point) and then I sort of guessed who would be available by my draft position in the first 2 rounds, and started building a team by getting the best available at a given position, or the player who I thought had the best chance to do well.

It ends up being about the same, on most sites, IMO. Draft cheat sheets with any depth tend to be similar.

Now that you're playing, you just need to read as much as you can, news-wise, and tip-wise. Learn who is full of crap and who has a legitimate point. Try and play matchups, etc.

Here's a thread with some good links:
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=165422

Good luck, and remember to keep trying no matter what... even if you think you're out of it, you never know, and you owe it to your league not to abandon ship if you're sinking!
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:14 am

FatFoot wrote:This one is a good start.

I've been a long time football fan, and was aware of most of the players on the cheat sheets, but this is my first year in FF as well. What I did to prepare was start googling player rankings from all manner of sources, and settled on a couple sites cheat sheets (your guess is as good as mine on which ones at this point) and then I sort of guessed who would be available by my draft position in the first 2 rounds, and started building a team by getting the best available at a given position, or the player who I thought had the best chance to do well.

It ends up being about the same, on most sites, IMO. Draft cheat sheets with any depth tend to be similar.

Now that you're playing, you just need to read as much as you can, news-wise, and tip-wise. Learn who is full of crap and who has a legitimate point. Try and play matchups, etc.

Here's a thread with some good links:
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=165422

Good luck, and remember to keep trying no matter what... even if you think you're out of it, you never know, and you owe it to your league not to abandon ship if you're sinking!

FatFoot summed it up pretty well.

Do your homework, Do your best, and hope it works out.

And Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Two Sites

Postby DraftDodger » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:33 am

NFL.com and here. On NFL.com you can click on Stats then bring up all kinds of useful info like how teams rate on passing defense or rushing defense. There are also injury reports, career statistics, etc. It's a great resource for schedules, depth charts, and lots more.

Although there are lots of fantasy football sites on the net, the Cafe is -- quite simply -- the best. A lot of sites do little more than tell you to start LT and P. Manning every week. Pay sites basically offer to make all your decisions for you. The Cafe is a great boot camp for new fantasy football recruits, and an excellent watering hole for fantasy football gurus.

People here are usually ahead of the pack in spotting good waiver wire pickups. By the time most sites mention that a player is "on the rise" he's already been snatched up in most leagues.

Come on in. The water's fine.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby BigMusky » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:56 am

I good way to start learning your players is watching the games they are in. I have sat through an entire game of two teams which I could care less about just to watch one or two guys on my team. Nothing quite like sitting in a bar yelling at the screen for them to pass on 1st and Goal just so your receiver gets the TD points!
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:22 am

That's also the bad side of FF... it can make you watch 3 football games on Sunday and one on Monday, causing your wife to throw frying pans in your general direction.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby aerodan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:32 am

NFL Sunday ticket is the best purchase ever. One you get to watch all your fantasy player , 2 you get to watch the ending of all the exciting games when you've got a blowout on your local broadcast... I love it!! Also you can avoid the frying pan incidents by dating a girl that also loves football!
aerodan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Vikings Rube » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:53 am

Pay Brutally Huge for some consultations. It worked for me!
"Super Bowl, Homeboy."
Vikings Rube
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk