How long until Steve Beuruelein is starting? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How long until Steve Beuruelein is starting?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How long until Steve Beuruelein is starting?

Postby Mike47 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:43 pm

I just don't see Jake Plummer cutting it for much longer. Steve knows the offense and has been a consistent passer in the NFL all-be-it a fews years ago.
Mike47
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:56 pm

As long as Portis keeps the Broncs winning, Plummer wil get time to adjust to the new system and settle into it. Plummer will probablb a better than average QB by mid-season. Lets not forget, Shanahan has a huge ego and will not be to quick to admit a mistake. I don't see Beurline starting anytime soon.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:57 pm

Shanahan realizes that Plummer will never be another Elway. Shanahan also is known for developing offenses that make average or less QB's look decent.
Mike will ride Jake out likely for the entire year ....especially if the Broncos continue to win without the necessity for the QB to rack up stats each week.
Jake is a bit of flake though ...and will need to adjust his chaotic tendencies before he gets his bell rung. Consequently, if Beuerlein does get starts ...it may be via a crushing hit on Plummer by an opposing teams defense.
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby Orange and Blue » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:42 pm

Originally posted by me in the AFC West forum:

I've been saying for the past 2 weeks don't put any stock in Plummer's performance until week 6. Just like you shouldn't look at the trouncing the Cowboys got and say that Parcell's is never going to be great there, you can't put too much stock in Plummer's first game in the new system. Preseason doesn't count- if you recall, Gannon and the raiders were the league's worst offense in preseason, and the Bengals were the best team.

Anyway, Shannahan and Gruden are perhaps the best playcalling coaches in the NFL right now. As a result, though, they both have hideously complex offenses. Shannahan's playbook is jokingly referred to as being 3 feet thick. Plummer will take a bit of time to get used to Denver's routes, its plays, and all of its subtleties.

I think the biggest cause for hope is looking at his recievers. By far his leading reciever was Portis, with the only denver WR to catch a single ball being Rod Smith. Sharpe also had a couple grabs. Portis and Sharpe run the most predictable routes and are the easiest dump-offs, which accounts for their grabs. Once Plummer realizes he has 3 WRs to throw to as well and starts to locate those three, the Broncos will start to stretch the field vertically as well as horizontally and he'll start reeling in 300 yard days. He'll still be plagued by a bit of an INT problem, but no worse than possessed by say, Manning, or Culpepper.

Just my take on matters, but look how spot on I was about Denver's huge sleeper Defense. By the way, it should go without saying that, as big of a sleeper its D is, you are NOT going to want to start it against Oakland or Kansas City.

There you go. Take it to the bank.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:29 am

I think that Shanahan will be more patient wiht Plummer because he is the guy replacing Brian Griese.

Unfortunately for Griese, he was the guy replacing John Elway. Not the easiest of tasks. Griese was doomed to fail even before he started.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jbird669 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:05 pm

I am a Broncos fan, a HUGE fan, for over 18 years, and I was skeptical of Plummer's signing from Day 1. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, and while I have seen many things that I like, I have seen many things I dislike.

First off, he forces too many things, which I can't blame him for, given his playing in AZ for many years. He has the capability of being an exciting player, and with the weapons here he can flourish.

While the season is only a week old, I have reason to worry, because he threw three picks against the BENGALS! I know no one is in midseason form, but for the Bengals, losing is their form, so I take it as a very bad thing. The Bengals will play like they did this week for much of the year, so I am very worried.

I know the Ravens proved that you can win a Super Bowl with a terrible QB if you have a great defense, but Denver's D isn't there yet. All the weapons in the world won't help you if you can't get the ball to them.

With playoffs on the line later in the year (the orange and blue WILL make it) and his job possibly on the line, Steve Beurlein will make a start not too long after the bye week.

Moochman, how does Shanahan have a big ego? I would say that about Mike Martz definitely, but not Shanahan.
My titles
2007 - 12 team 1/2 PPR Keeper League - Untitled JJ Abrams Project
2009 - 12 team ESPN PPR league - Fightin' Amish

Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
jbird669
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ben_ffc » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:17 pm

i think plummer will be fine. it's going to take a couple weeks for him to realize that the game doesn't rest squarely on his shoulders. those weapons around him are there to ease his burden. once he acclimates, i think lelie will be his man. i think this will happen in less than 6 weeks.

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Orange and Blue » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:24 pm

As I said, Plummer only sent 5 passes to a WR, all of them to Smith. That is why he performed so poorly. Once he starts involving The Easy and Lelie in the game, he's... not golden, but at the least sterling.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Chopper » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:23 pm

Does any of this mean that Rod Smith is a safe play as early as week 2? I (and others) drafted him to be a number 2, but I'm more than a little concerned for the time being. I'm currently thinking that guys like Chambers, Galloway, QMorgan, DJackson, Tim Brown who were generally drafted later might be safer starters for now. And I don't even have Lelie on the radar yet.
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:31 pm

Plummer wasn't brought over to sit the bench,barring injury,he starts.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk