Brandon Lloyd?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brandon Lloyd??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:18 am

Mudd wrote:Had the 9ers Oline been able to give Smith ANY kind of time, Lloyd would have had a LONG td. It ended up being underthrown and picked b/c Smith got hammered on the play and couldn't step into it.

I'd expect by the last 1/4 of the season that Lloyd will be worth starting again. If Jennings comes back for the 9ers, Smith should have some time and be able to hit some of his receivers.

Myth.. Alex Smith was making a lot of bad decisions out there. The running game had a lot of room because the Colt's were not bringing much pressure up front. Tom Brady would have picked that defense apart. And Rattay would have at least made a couple plays..

Alex Smith? 74 yards, 4 INTs, and a fumble. I think I saw him run for a couple gains though...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wizeguy2599 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:11 pm

They might as well start Smith the rest of the year, let him take his lumps, and then get another top draft pick...hopefully some OL help, a speedy RB, or some defense.

K-Wilkins
D-Pitt
Last edited by wizeguy2599 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizeguy2599
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mudd » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:33 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Mudd wrote:Had the 9ers Oline been able to give Smith ANY kind of time, Lloyd would have had a LONG td. It ended up being underthrown and picked b/c Smith got hammered on the play and couldn't step into it.

I'd expect by the last 1/4 of the season that Lloyd will be worth starting again. If Jennings comes back for the 9ers, Smith should have some time and be able to hit some of his receivers.

Myth.. Alex Smith was making a lot of bad decisions out there. The running game had a lot of room because the Colt's were not bringing much pressure up front. Tom Brady would have picked that defense apart. And Rattay would have at least made a couple plays..

Alex Smith? 74 yards, 4 INTs, and a fumble. I think I saw him run for a couple gains though...

You're comparing a guy who just started his first game, who is actually a college senior to Tom Brady? Ah, okay.

The problem is as much with the Oline as anything. They had to dedicate an RB or TE to the left side to help with Freeney, thus having one less pass catcher in the pattern. No doubt Smith made some bad decisions, but all things considering, he played relatively well.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby houstonoilers » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:38 pm

I think you have to let this kid play the rest of the year. 9ers gave all this money and the guy just went up against a GREAT defense in the Colts. He is plainly going to suck this year and his receivers are going to suck wiht him as well. I think the kid would have a chance if he maybe had the same Oline Big Ben had last year but he doesnt. Play Smith and let him get use to the speed.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:16 pm

Mudd wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

You're comparing a guy who just started his first game, who is actually a college senior to Tom Brady? Ah, okay.

The problem is as much with the Oline as anything. They had to dedicate an RB or TE to the left side to help with Freeney, thus having one less pass catcher in the pattern. No doubt Smith made some bad decisions, but all things considering, he played relatively well.

I was comparing an incompetent QB to a good one. Sure it's his first game and rookies usually suck, Alex Smith made that case. But does that statement make you feel better about his horrid play?

I cannot believe I just read you stating that Alex Smith "played well".. I can understand homerism, but are you really a fan of the game of football? That performance was beyond bad, I don't care what kind of qualifers you use to justify that statement, I don't care if it was Tom Brady's 83 year old grandma out there, there is NO WAY you can call that a good game. He played HORRIBLY.
----

Rattay would have done a lot better than 74/0/4 I can tell you that much. And I question whether or not you actually watched the entire game rather than listen to the media outlets who said the O-line played horrible and Alex Smith is just a rookie etc. etc.. Alex Smith made hurried throws when he didn't have to, and he checked down to the RBs and TEs instead of giving the WRs a chance to play. You know when they are giving their QB a DESIGNED QB SWEEP?!?! A FREAKING SWEEP!?!? on 3rd and long that something is majorly wrong.

Another thing, it's hard to see the secondary coverage without watching the actual game footage instead of what the TVs will give you, because they usually focus on the line of scrimmage. But I was at the game and I saw it happen.

Alex Smith had several opportunities to hit either Morton or Lloyd down the field in single coverage, but he instead opted to hurry a pass to the RB over the middle of the field for a short gain. Not only that, but when he did have enough time and pocket presence to throw the ball at the WR, he threw it to the wrong one! The only time down the field pass he attempted, from what I saw, was an ill-advised throw into double coverage, off his back foot, with 2 DL in his face on a sure sack, and it was picked off like they were playing a game of 3 flies up out there.

Alex Smith has it backwards... he chucks it up to his WRs when he's about to be sacked instead of checking down. And he checks down when he has all the time in the world, instead of taking shots down the field. By taking shots down the field, I mean a pass greater than 5 yards.

-----

I think Mike Nolan knows that Rattay gives this team a better chance to win. I think the Colt's game is close with Rattay in there and the SF defense playing well and creating turnovers.

The real reason Alex Smith is in there, is that SF has already given up on the playoffs this year after their loss to the Cardinal's. And because Tim Rattay has a clause in his contract that allows him to be an UFA after the season if he plays 50% of the snaps this year. We won't allow that to happen apparently, even if it costs us a chance to win.

The 2005 new and improved version of the Niner's has reverted back to the 2004 version where you don't want to own anyone on the team. Avoid all 49ers in fantasy.

-Lifelong 49er fan
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk