Roy Williams, dud? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Roy Williams, dud?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:49 pm

Paladyr wrote:I checked the forum before my draft and didn't see anything on roy williams.

Didn't roy start doing well in the second half of the season? Maybe they'll figure something out. G0d even when I typed that I knew I was lying through my teeth!

In regards to preseason Roy talk here - most Lions fans mentioned that he wasnt good value in relation to his ADP due to the uncertainty surrounding this team.

Actually last yr Roy did well at the beginning of the season then got injured and was held in check for the majority of the 2nd half - save the game against MIN.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:23 pm

Well, I'm gonna stick with him for now, since I've got the bench spot and anyone I pick off FA at this point will be stuck on that same bench anyway.
If something starts clicking for that offense in the second half, great. If not ... well, a trade and WW work have helped me fill the role I thought he'd occupy.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby sleepers3 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:49 pm

Anybody that has Harrington throwing them the ball is a dud.Harrington sucks so bad it isn't funny.
Dominick Davis 1500 yards you watch!!!!
sleepers3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fantasizing » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:25 pm

sleepers3 wrote:Anybody that has Harrington throwing them the ball is a dud.Harrington sucks so bad it isn't funny.

that's the whole problem in Detroit, and that's why I avoided any Detroit WRs. R. Williams can be a huge fantasy stud, but his QB is really bad. I had Williams last year and got pissed off with Harringtons' lack of passing ability.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Vixtor » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:07 am

Should hang on to Roy if you can afford a "wasted" roster spot as he might be out a couple weeks. The Lions have faced some tough defenses so far and struggled but have much better matchups down the road and hopefully (probably) a new quarterback at some point (Garcia or Orlovsky). It all depends on how severe the injury is if you should hang on to him or not.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DolphinsAllTheWay » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:28 pm

Its not just Harrington.....Garcia said that the Lions receivers are lazy and act as the stars, that has a little bit of something to do w/ it...
Patrick Surtain the best DB in the NFL.....period!
DolphinsAllTheWay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:29 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Garcia is done. Those of you expecting him to revive the offense when he returns are going to be severely disapointed. If you think Joey's long passes are bad, just wait until the Velvet Lion floats one up there.

Velvet Lion, you're killing me, CBM! :-b ;-D

I wouldn't rule out Garthia, the Velvet Lion, getting a chance to start for Mariucci. He can't throw deep, at all. So he can't be a serious canidate to replace Scareington, right? Then I think, when in the hell does Mariucci ever ask his QB to throw long? The Velvet Lion would fit right into what Mariucci wants: short timing routes.

So the question isn't if the Velvet Lion can throw deep, but can he hit a moving target? If he can hit the receivers at speed on short routes he could actually have more success that Bloey. Like that is saying much.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:44 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Roy has Moss tendencies it seems. He has all the talent in the world - but he also has huge mental lapses as well. He seems to practice well from reports, but then he'll quit on a play or disapear during games. He also had one of the highest drop % in the NFL last yr.

Then you factor in the injury situation - is he soft, or just unfortunate? With his disapearing acts its hard not to think he is just soft and has mental issues.

Joey isnt really helping his cause, but then again, he's not as bad as people think once he releases the ball - Joey is a decent passer. A lot of the problem comes from a conservative playbook - they simply arent going to stretch the field while Mooch is the coach there.

Coaching can't force Joey to throw within 10 feet of his WRs' heads.

Bottom line: Roy is talented, but he isnt helping himself on the field. He is extremely inexperienced and it shows. He is also in a poor situation with the offense that Marriucci uses and the QB who doesnt exactly help him. Fantasy wise - if you drafted him, and were a regular at the Cafe this preseason - you were warned. If you do have him, there is nothing to do but bench him until he returns - you cannot drop him and his trade value isnt worth it either.

Injury situation: too early to tell. Chances are doubtful for Sunday against CAR.

Agreed, bench Roy Williams until he is fully healthy again. Maybe Garcia heals quickly and will turn around the QB situation in Detroit. Joey can't hit the broadside of a barn every other play it seems. There is just no excuse for some of the terrible throws and lapses in judgement he's making.

For those lambasting Garcia's arm, I fully agree. But then again, he doesn't even attempt to throw the ball down the field. He scrambles, dinks and dunks, but very rarely will he throw it 20 feet away from an open WR like Harrington does.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk