What's the MAX you would start from 1 NFL team? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's the MAX you would start from 1 NFL team?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jason X

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:20 am

I rode LT2, Gates, and Kaeding all the way last year. I love watching Charger games because I'm not worried when they get near the endzone, it's either going to Tomlinson or Gates, and I'll take either.

But I would never play 2 WRs from the same team, however I think if you had a QB-WR combo, it wouldn't be a bad idea to play the kicker of that team as well. Kinda evens out the highs and the lows, I love being a consistant high scorer.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What's the MAX you would start from 1 NFL team?

Postby Always a winner » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:10 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:What's the max amount of players you would start from 1 NFL team?

I'm thinking of starting 3 from the Chiefs (Green, Holmes, and Tynes). Would you at least diversify the kicker?

I don't see a reason to change the kicker.

On a related note, there is a team in one of my leagues who is starting DALLAS COWBOYS at EVERY position. He's been winning. Has a 3-2 record and 6th out of 12th in points scored. I wouldn't do that though. The most players from one team I've ever had was in 2003 when I had a bunch of Packers: Javon Walker, Ahman Green, Bubba Franks, and Ryan Longwell. Worked out pretty well, but if the Packers stunk then I stunk. Since then I've made a point of drafting players from many different teams.
Always a winner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jonny Moxon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:12 pm

I'm starting boldin/fitzgerald. They've netted 100+ yds each in the last two games. I'm kind of uneasy about it though...
Jonny Moxon Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby biju » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:20 pm

I'm with one of the above posters in that I generally start only two from any team of the skill positions. As for K and D I don't care, it's fairly independent.

I will also note though that in extreme cases I would certainly start a TE from the same group as well, like in the case of Gates.

Personally I try to avoid these types of situations though. It just means you're going to hurt that much more when their BYE week comes up. Plus, in the case of my "bad" league I really killed myself by taking Deuce in the 1st round and then taking Horn when he slipped to me in the 4th...

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:57 pm

I don't understand why it matters. For example: If your team (hypothetically, extreme example) has Peyton Manning, TO, Steve Smith, LT, Antonio Gates, IND defense and Neil Rackers you would start them all every week and stomp the competition. But, if they were all on the same (real) NFL team, you would only start three?

There are reasons I wouldn't want a bunch of players from the same NFL team on my fantasy team, though: Byes, if a key player is injured (QB) your season is toast, etc. But if I had five studs from the same team, I would start every single one of them.
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby foulballstrike3 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:02 pm

I started Hasselbeck, Jurevicius and Stevens this week, were they any good?
foulballstrike3
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:09 pm

foulballstrike3 wrote:I started Hasselbeck, Jurevicius and Stevens this week, were they any good?

What if you started McNabb, Westbrook, TO, and LJ Smith?

They are all considered studs, but got SHUT DOWN hard.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Keyser_WV » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:10 pm

foulballstrike3 wrote:I started Hasselbeck, Jurevicius and Stevens this week, were they any good?

Are we talking 1 week or using this theory for an entire year?

Go ahead and start those 3 every week and I bet you will be on the outside looking in during the playoff's.

One week no big deal but to start multiple guys on a regular basis is risky imo.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Keyser_WV » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:13 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:

What if you started McNabb, Westbrook, TO, and LJ Smith?

They are all considered studs, but got SHUT DOWN hard.

You beat me to it BH.

As I said earlier. I played the top scorer in our league this week and he had McNabb, Westbrook, Owens, LJ Smith, and Philly def and I crushed him.

With a bye week and 1 or 2 down weeks for good teams like Philly and Indy you will have 3 losses.

Just too risky imo. 1 week not to bad an idea. All year is risky.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Always a winner » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:51 pm

Where's Ryan Leaf? wrote:I don't understand why it matters. For example: If your team (hypothetically, extreme example) has Peyton Manning, TO, Steve Smith, LT, Antonio Gates, IND defense and Neil Rackers you would start them all every week and stomp the competition. But, if they were all on the same (real) NFL team, you would only start three?

I wouldn't bench any of the above players just because they were on the same team, it's just that even studs have bad weeks and people on the same team tend to have good/bad games together. It's all about reducing the variation in your team's score.

However, that strategy is only good if you have a good lineup. If your team ends up sucking then getting players from the same team is actually a good strategy. A lot of scrubs from different teams will score consistently low points every week, but scrubs from one team will end up with two or three huge games a year.

Last year there was a guy from Buffalo in my league that was way out of the playoffs. He traded to get some key Buffalo players on his team and ended up winning a few games when Buffalo did well. He still missed the playoffs, but that strategy was pretty much his only shot.
Always a winner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk