What's the MAX you would start from 1 NFL team? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's the MAX you would start from 1 NFL team?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby giants! » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:05 pm

I played against a team tghat started 4 colts this week( peyton, harrison,wayne, vanderjact) and won by a lot( I had edge.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:06 pm

One point I want to add:

There has been a myth circulating among fantasy players that its a good idea to target QB/WR combos because you get "double points". This theory is bunk and has been proven that QB/WR combos give absolutely no advantage whatsoever - I do not have the link, but I remember reading a thorough report on this topic this past offseason which pretty much debunked the myth.

Much like the contract yr myth, the combo myth still lives - neither have any merit.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:31 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:One point I want to add:

There has been a myth circulating among fantasy players that its a good idea to target QB/WR combos because you get "double points". This theory is bunk and has been proven that QB/WR combos give absolutely no advantage whatsoever - I do not have the link, but I remember reading a thorough report on this topic this past offseason which pretty much debunked the myth.

Much like the contract yr myth, the combo myth still lives - neither have any merit.

i'd like to see that link if you could remember where you found it....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:47 pm

Jayday - I apologize, but Im not an archivist like some of these guys. Maybe Mercer can help you track it down. If I had to guess, it was either a footballguys or cbssportsline article.

The study's debunking the contract yr theory can be found here:
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... c&&start=0
Journal of Applied Psychology ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:56 pm

It's a myth because you don't get double points. The guys still score the same. It's more like a double whammy. The advantage it gives you is if you can find a QB and a WR that are going to produce very well, you also basically lock up them producing well at the same time, which will go a long way towards you winning that week. I have 2 perfect examples with a couple teams of mine. One team has the McNabb/Owens combo. In weeks 1 and 5, I've lost and weeks 2,3, and 4 I've won going away. Nearly the same thing with Delhomme/S.Smith combo I have in another league. Weeks 1,3, and 5 I crushed. Week 2 I think I won slimly and week 4 I got beat.

As long as you have a few other solid producers on your team, that combo goes a long way towards you winning or losing.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby jayday » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:40 pm

Azrael wrote:

It's a myth because you don't get double points. The guys still score the same. It's more like a double whammy. The advantage it gives you is if you can find a QB and a WR that are going to produce very well, you also basically lock up them producing well at the same time, which will go a long way towards you winning that week. I have 2 perfect examples with a couple teams of mine. One team has the McNabb/Owens combo. In weeks 1 and 5, I've lost and weeks 2,3, and 4 I've won going away. Nearly the same thing with Delhomme/S.Smith combo I have in another league. Weeks 1,3, and 5 I crushed. Week 2 I think I won slimly and week 4 I got beat.

As long as you have a few other solid producers on your team, that combo goes a long way towards you winning or losing.

well put ;-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Previous

Return to Football Talk