Coach Belichick: Overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Coach Belichick: Overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Coach Belichick: Overrated?

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:52 pm

Come on... for the past 4 years, he has been seen as the model coach. No, it's been more than that. He has been an NFL Icon. A modern-day Lombardi, a king compared to Bill Walsh, and a genious at football. Had Vinateiri missed all the game-winning field goals he attempted this year, the Patriots would be 1-4. Now, I know that's a lot of what-if's, but I figured this could just as easily start up a worthy debate. So, was Belichick overrated or is this year's team underperforming?
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:16 pm

Don't be ridiculous. Teams go through valleys and they climb mountains. In this day and age it's a miracle any team can have successful back to back seasons, so what he's done is still quite impressive.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:19 pm

Yes. Overrated.

3 Superbowls in 4 years? What happened in 2003??????? They suck!
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bmonkey » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:34 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Yes. Overrated.

3 Superbowls in 4 years? What happened in 2003??????? They suck!

lol. ya he sucks... it's Vini who has made them champs.. not the whole team

with what the NFL did to the schedule this year for the Pats to make sure they don't repeat... of course they wont go 2-14 this year... doesn't mean they are out of it... even with there 84 injuries so far their still winning every other game
Bmonkey
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Re: Coach Belichick: Overrated?

Postby pappymojo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:35 pm

besides, even if Vinatieri had missed those field goals, the games would have been tied going into overtime. what makes you so sure the pats would have lost them?

Bennett4prez wrote:Had Vinateiri missed all the game-winning field goals he attempted this year, the Patriots would be 1-4.
'nuff said
pappymojo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dazedncnfz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:40 pm

this isn't a worthy topic to debate.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Halcyon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:42 pm

I think he's a tad overrated, but the reasons you suggest for it are pretty silly.

I think he's done a good job in New England, but he's been blessed with very good personnel. You can say that he's been able to plug in a lot of mismatched pieces, but he's had a fantastic core. Before Brady stepped in, they weren't winning games, even with a quarterback in Bledsoe that had taken a team to a Super Bowl before. Their receiving core is very deep and talented, Dillon (when he's been there) is a top-notch running back, and his defense has consistently had Pro Bowlers.

If you look at the job he did in Cleveland, with a squad that wasn't far removed from the AFC championship game, it's clear he's not perfect, at the very least. That team was run into the ground by the time he left there. It wasn't all his fault, of course, but some of it was. He's improved since then, but his forte is still mainly defensive schemes, and he's needed the pieces and coaches around him to make the team as a whole work.
Halcyon Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:44 pm

He's a very good coach. But I wouldn't call him a genius as most do. Unless he has all of a sudden becomew one in the past 4 years. The Patriots have a very deep team, with talent everywhere. What's his name, Scioli? Something like that. He can be credited with the Pats success just as much as Bill. But I don't think it's one person. I think it's about 60 people doing very well at what they do.
If I'm wrong, then Bill will win 80 % of his games for the rest of his career. If I'm right, we will see him "fall" back down to 60% winning percentage.
Don't get me wrong, he's a very good coach. Just not a genius. Therefore, overrated.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby saundman2000 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:47 pm

I doubt they miss the playoffs. At this point, that's all that matters.

How the Patriots play in the Playoffs determines whether this season is a success or failure. They have obviously set the bar high, so I would say anything short of playing in the superbowl will be viewed as a failure.

You can't say that just b/c the Pats are not undefeated at this point in the season that they are slipping. Bilichick is not overrated....To propose so is proposterous. He created the team culture and has recruited guys that fit his ideal profile. His system is awesome and he micromanages it...

So the Patriots largely owe their success to him and Kraft who does not interfere and lets Bill do his thing.

So he is not as innovative as a Bill Walsh or Enigmatic as a Lombardi, but football is about winning and his system fosters it, so the extent of Bilichicks greatness is yet to be determined, but he is indeed one of the greats based on what he has already done.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:49 pm

Well, there are some who consider him absolutely infallible, so technically, you might be able to call him overrated on those grounds... ;-) He still more than deserves a spot in the Hall even if he never wins another game, though.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk