Coach Belichick: Overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Coach Belichick: Overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Over-rated?

Postby DraftDodger » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:45 pm

The early schedule fostered this type of talk, but after the bye (when they get to start smacking around their division opponents) it will be clear to all that the Pats are playoff bound once again.

I think we all know the Brady-led Patriots' playoff record. Okay, maybe somebody doesn't. It's 9-0.

Threepeat.

There, I said it. Let Indy jockey for home field (like the Pats haven't waltzed through the playoffs on the road before) and let Cinci, Denver, Jacksonville, and the rest dream.

A threepeat, with four superbowls in five years, makes Bill B. the greatest coach in NFL history.

Let's see how 'over-rated' he is then!
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:05 pm

The fact that something like this is being debated is sad. Give it up :-t
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:32 pm

Pete123444 wrote:He's a very good coach. But I wouldn't call him a genius as most do. Unless he has all of a sudden becomew one in the past 4 years. The Patriots have a very deep team, with talent everywhere. What's his name, Scioli? Something like that. He can be credited with the Pats success just as much as Bill. But I don't think it's one person. I think it's about 60 people doing very well at what they do.
If I'm wrong, then Bill will win 80 % of his games for the rest of his career. If I'm right, we will see him "fall" back down to 60% winning percentage.
Don't get me wrong, he's a very good coach. Just not a genius. Therefore, overrated.

You dont think Belicheck had any say in who they drafted?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:05 pm

Yes I do.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby stoner420 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:25 pm

how dare you for even making this thread.
stoner420
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gablefan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:27 pm

Yes he is over-rated to some. Very valid question to ask, not going to hold up too well though, but...

For those that think he is the best ever, yes he is over-rated. If he were the best coach ever he would have done a hair more in Cleveland. To those that think he belongs in the Hall, and is a top 1-15 coach, you are probably right on the money.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Shader » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:38 pm

Only jealous fans think he is overrated. They are probably the same fans who think Brady is overrated. Jealousy ruins objectivity.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby irishclown » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:49 pm

The definition ov overrated:

"To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly"

Just one question, how can you rate him too highly?? 3 out of 4 isn't good enough? Sorry folks, this isn't even a debate. this is what is called a joke.

Definition of joke:

a humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter.

Hey Pete....would you rather have Cowher.....oh wait, you do!!!
Now thats funny!! If he coaches got judged on what kind of goofy looking faces they made, Cower would be the best hands don't. (why does he look like he's taking a dump 24/7 ??)
irishclown
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:00 pm

No I dont think Belichek is overrated, but I do think he's showing flaw this season, and the suggestion that he might be feeling swamped a bit without Weis and Crennel has merit.

Take for instance last weekend. When he called a timeout after an Atlanta TD, but had his red flag out. Now the announcers pointed out he was intelligently waiting on the timeout to see how the Falcons would line up for the 2 point conversion. But this is Belichek, the genius that found a good time to take a safety. Surely, the Belichek that rightly belongs in the hall would've thrown the red flag instead of calling the time out. I mean, if he lost the challenge (and would've by the looks of the replay), he would've been charged the timeout that he took anyway.

Why didn't he throw the flag, and make a typical genius Belichek move? Honestly, I think he's a bit overwhelmed, without his supporting cast, and its showing. I mean, seriously, if he had thrown the flag after letting them lineup for the 2 point, every analyst on ESPN would be using that as a prime example of why he's the best coach currently possibly ever.

He's slipping a little this year in my opinion. It doesn't take anything away from what he's done in the past, but Belichek himself does not seem to be the unbeatable mastermind anymore.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby drsteuss » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:51 pm

What a stupid topic. If Belichick is overrated, then so is every other coach ever.
aka Big Daddy Drew, Kissing Suzy Kolber
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk