Would this be crazy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Would this be crazy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Would this be crazy?

Postby CC » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:52 pm

With the Saints being a generally pretty crappy team, and having lost their best player for the year to an ACL injury, there is a fairly slim chance that they will make the playoffs or even come close for the rest of the year.

Aaron Brooks is obviously not the answer at QB, but they do have a great young prospect that they grabbed in the draft this year, Adrian McPherson. Since McPherson has already played in the AFL it probably would not stunt his growth to toss him in and let him get some reps and possibly even evolve into the player many think he will be (I am a huge fan, the guy has all the tools and 4.4 to 4.5 speed).

I know it's kind of crazy to throw the season this early on, but I think it would be a good call for the future to let McPherson get some time.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Would this be crazy?

Postby PACKman1144 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:02 pm

But did you see him play at FSU. He was not a player that I saw having a future in the NFL. Sure he's fast, so is Dante Hall, that doesn't make you a good QB. There are so many assets required to be a successful NFL quarterback, and I don't see many of them in Peterson.

I could be wrong here. It was awhile back that he playing in college. But IMO he won't make it far. It would be fun to watch though.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby gatorman1122 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:10 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me...even QBs with below average college stats can succeed in the NFL...
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TTTBone » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:14 pm

Yeah, thats kinda crazy.
As much as fans and FFootball guys love to rip on Brooks, the guy has put up decent to very good #'s. Top 10 QB statistically, four years running.
However his inconsistancy is what kills everyone.
But, believe me when I say this, Brooks is a proven NFL starter... really he is. ;-)

I'd love to see Adrian McPherson get a shot, but he's stuck at #3 until further notice. Now if the Saints drop a couple more, then I expect him to move up to #2, just so he can gain some reps.

QB of the future, sure, but most likely not this year. Hopefully he will get a shot somewhere down the line this year.
We can hope... with the Saints sucking, Deuce out, Bouman sucking, and seeing Brooks icing both shoulders... well McPherson may yet get a shot this year. ;-D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CC » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:23 pm

Brooks always has nice numbers, but he doesn't win games.

McPherson is 6'5, runs a 4.51 40 and can absolutely hurl the ball. With enough coaching I could see him developing into a good NFL QB.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:51 am

Well, you have to think McPherson will see some time this year, just so the team can find out what they have in him. Probably not yet, though...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aussieboy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:13 am

I doubt McPhearson would produce better results than Brooks at this stage. Thus benching Brooks this early in the season would be an indication that the Saints were tanking the season, I don't know how well that would go down.

I am however looking forward to seeing McPhearson play. I heard some awesome things about this athelete, and some not so awesome things. He was the one guy I was very keen on seeing where he'd go in this years draft.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dave416 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:15 am

The real question is: Can he remember to line-up behind the center? :-b
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby Bowie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:41 am

Why would the Saints care if people thought they were tanking the season. It is pretty clear they are not going anywhere this year, and more importantly, they don't have a stadium to fill (they will fill San Antonio on novelty alone). If McPhearson is so talented (I have no idea), why wouldn't they "rest" Brooks' sore shoulder for a few games?
Last edited by Bowie on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:42 am

McPherson isn't ready.

Maybe next year....or maybe they get Leinart.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk