a league question. looking for opinions. this is messed up. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

a league question. looking for opinions. this is messed up.

Moderator: Football Moderators

a league question. looking for opinions. this is messed up.

Postby ngub12 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:43 pm

ok. so this is a messed up situation and i would like some input.

in my yahoo league some one picked up atowain smith after they saw duece got injured. about 2 hours later he was then dropped because the owner must have thought the injury was not too serious. apparently, according to yahoo, if you pick up and drop a player on sunday he does not go to waivers, he goes back to the free agent list. was anyone aware of this rediculous glitch???

ok, so monday rolls around and i see that duece has a torn acl (i am a duece owner by the way). i see that smith has been dropped to waivers and am somewhat happy becuase i have the #1 waiver priority. i decided that i would hold off to put my waiver request in to see if mccallister's second opinion wouild prove him to be out for the season (to see if i could drop mcallister for smith strait up). i also held off becuase i was unsure who to drop. when i saw he in fact was out for the season, i tried to put in my request but saw that the owner that dropped him actaully picked him up again!

you can understand my frustration. so i posted numerous messages to the league wondering how the hell this could happen. i also have been lobbying to have smith returned to the waiver wire so i can pick him up, which i feel is fair becuase he should have been placed on waivers (after all it did say thats where he was dropped to on the recent transactions board). what do u guys think about this? right now the league is at a stalemate.

im looking for opinions and also some for more possible arguments i can use to substantiate my case (if u in fact agree with me).
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:49 pm

I've noticed this too with Yahoo! Fantasy Football. I think its to keep players from picking up and dropping players rapidly so other owners cant use them, its a fair rule. I personally think you dropped the ball on this one (no pun intended) and the owner who dropped then re-picked him up should hold onto Smith. Whenever one of your studs go down, should almost pick up the replacement just in case. Hope you found this post useful and I cant wait to read what other people think also. Later man!
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ngub12 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:54 pm

yeah i understand you but in my thinking i thought i had 2 days like the waiver rules say. the recent transactions board said that he was dropped to waivers. if he was not dropped there then it should say he was dropped to free agents.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:58 pm

ngub12 wrote:yeah i understand you but in my thinking i thought i had 2 days like the waiver rules say. the recent transactions board said that he was dropped to waivers. if he was not dropped there then it should say he was dropped to free agents.

This actually happened today in my league someone picked up Ferguson and then dropped him to pick up Taylor. I then picked him up today cause I did a 3 for 2 trade and had an open spot left open. It could just be a rule whenever teams play this rule goes into an effect or might depend on how long the owner had the player and then dropped him. Dont know but again its a fair rule I will argue.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bowie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:01 am

Rules are rules. I knew about this rule before, even though I could definitely see forgeting about or mis-understanding it. While I can understand that you are annoyed by this, I can't see making the other guy give up Smith since he did not break any rules himself. It's a tough situation, but you probably need to just accept it.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ngub12 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:04 am

im not arguing whether that is a good or bad idea. however, how was i supposed to know? yahoo SAID that smith was dropped to waivers NOT free agents.

if thats the reasoing why yahoo has this rule then it should say that the player being dropped at that time is being dropped BACK to the free agent pool and NOT to waivers.

also not one person knew about this "rule" in the league. everyone was like "uh, what happened to waivers". the other kid just got lucky.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bowie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:08 am

Maybe Yahoo is not set up well for cases like this, but it still isn't the other owners fault. I don't see why he should be penalized over this. I should note as well that they have not yet decided who will carry the load in NO. Why don't you pick up Stecker and hope for the best?
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ISLAS3000 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:11 am

I say it is a touugh break for you. But sometimes thats the way the ball rolls. It's a ridiculous rule but a rule at that. It is not the guys fault that he was able to drop him and pick him up again. Now if your wish happens he will be punished for it. I say just bite the bullet and move on. Pick up stecker because I'm hearing he might be fighting for touches if he's healthy. Or even more of a hint watch eddie george the saints talked to him today about contracts.
ISLAS3000
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby matmat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:21 am

it is a great rule, IMO. i do think that on the main league page it should say 'to free agents' instead of 'to waivers' but...

it prevents people from cycling players for the sole purpose of preventing others from picking them up. i.e. someone picking up all viable quarterbacks and dropping them before their opponent that week has a chance to put in a bye week sub.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:24 am

There should be no way Deuce could have been reacquired by his owner off of FA, though...he should have went to waivers as soon as he was dropped. If this did happen on Sunday and Deuce went back to FA and was reacquired, then that is a stupid Yahoo glitch that should not have happened. :-B

However, in the case of Smith, he could have been picked up and dropped to FA due to the Yahoo anti-churning solution (meaning a player just picked up and dropped is put back to FA to avoid a player from picking up and dropping all players). Therefore, he should have been a FA and could have been picked up by anyone.

Are you absolutely sure that Smith was on waivers and not a free agent? Ask the guy who picked him up if he had to use a waiver on him, or see if his waiver priority is now last.

You know what probably happened...the "Recent Transaction" list could have said he was on waivers, but it doesn't take the anti-churning thing into account. It probably kicked Smith to FA after realizing that he was dropped sometime earlier today in order to prevent churning. But, the "Recent Transactions" board doesn't know this (it updates as soon as a player is dropped/added), so it just says that he went to waivers when in reality he was put back to FA.

I think that is the answer to your question. Yahoo does a good job in preventing churning, but in this case, it made things a little unclear. I don't think you have much of an argument because Smith was probably on FA. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk