a league question. looking for opinions. this is messed up. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

a league question. looking for opinions. this is messed up.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ngub12 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:25 am

wow not one opinion to support my side. i guess thats the way it goes then. thanks for your input guys.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ngub12 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:40 am

one more litle tidbit i would like to throw in.

this is an 8 man league that starts 3 qbs. qbs get very very scarce. so scarce that we made up a rule that if your qb gets injured then you have 24 hours to pick up his back up before another owner can even think about it. however, any owener can keep a backup qb on their team if the starter is not injured. (EG i can have volek on my bench even if i dont have mcnair, i just cannot pickup volek when i see that mcnair has broken his sternum again)

well, when pennington went down a few weeks ago it was said that bollinger was to be his back up now that fiedler was out too. he got bollinger. a few days later there was word that testaverde was signed however he was not inputed into yahoos free agent pool yet. when he was added, he was put on waivers. he put up a fit and said he should get testa becuase he was his qbs backup. this techincally was not true because bollinger was the backup at the time. so basically a few people in our league (including myself) could have used testaverde but decided to be nice guys about it and let him pick him up. funny part is, the same guy who wanted testa is defnitly not showing the same understnanding -- he is the one who picked up smith.

just thought id throw that in. ahh boy, this league is rediculous.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bowie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:44 am

Your league is filled with whiners (and a cheat).

Edit: The other guy should have been stuck with Bollinger. If you were willing to make an exception like that, than you might as well play team QBs instead of individuals.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cooner » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:55 am

Seems like Yahoo has an issue/bug/glitch with their management software, and unfortunately, you fell victim to it. There's no reason for other owners, however, to be hurt by this. In a league with all friends, explaining the situation and asking what others think might work (I've had this work for me... thanks to a Yahoo glitch with "current" and "permanent" lineups and DLs in baseball), but if the guy isn't gonna be understanding, you can't force him to give up Smith.

That said, I would write a nasty email to Yahoo asking them to fix their darn software...
Last edited by Cooner on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:14 am

This is why I do not play in yahoo public leagues anymore. It is only known leagues for me from now on.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby josebach » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:18 am

I'm suprised you didn't go to the player page and at least look at the other running backs. Then you would have seen Smith was a free agent.

Anyway, this whole thing might be a blessing in disguise. I don't thing A Smith is worthy of your #1 waiver priority. I have Deuce also and passed on both Smith and Stecker. I picked up Bettis instead. Besides, now that they're trading for a running back, it's possible that neither Stecker or Smith will start. On top of that, the way the Saints defense sucks so bad, they're going to be throwing the ball like crazy anyway.

If I were you, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:22 am

You know how I look at it? Use Yahoo and go by their rules. Period. You got burned? You know not to put your hand in the fire next time. The 24 hour rule on picking up QB's is not a good one. QB's are scarce, yes. But say I need a bye week filler and no one is available? A guy gets hurt and opens up a good player. Besides, Antowain Smith is a bum and isn't worth getting upset over.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby swyck » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:19 am

In the NFL, and most other sports, a team that puts a player on waivers can pull him back before waivers clears.

This is the same situation. The team that had him dropped him, then pulled him from waivers before it cleared.

This is not a bug or a glitch, and makes perfect sense based on how most real leagues work.

"If you place a player on waivers, you cannot reclaim that player until after the waiver period has expired. If, however, you decide that you do not wish to waive the player, you can cancel the transaction -- provided it has not yet been processed -- by viewing it from your team page and clicking on the Cancel button."

It is not well understood by most, including me, and would fall under reading the fine print of league rules. :-D
swyck
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:41 am

swyck wrote:In the NFL, and most other sports, a team that puts a player on waivers can pull him back before waivers clears.

This is the same situation. The team that had him dropped him, then pulled him from waivers before it cleared.

This is not a bug or a glitch, and makes perfect sense based on how most real leagues work.

"If you place a player on waivers, you cannot reclaim that player until after the waiver period has expired. If, however, you decide that you do not wish to waive the player, you can cancel the transaction -- provided it has not yet been processed -- by viewing it from your team page and clicking on the Cancel button."

It is not well understood by most, including me, and would fall under reading the fine print of league rules. :-D

I'm not sure you understand what he was saying. Smith was never on waivers. If you pick up a player and drop him the same day, he stays a free agent. They do this so that an jerk-off owner can't use one roster spot to put 10 different quarterbacks on waivers. The original posters complaint was that Yahoo said the player was dropped to waivers which was inaccurate. At this point, he was in no rush to pick up Smith because he had the #1 waiver priority. The problem was, Smith wasn't on waivers and the guy that dropped him the same day picked him back up.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby FatFoot » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:15 pm

Honestly, I think the fault is yours for not picking Smith up immediately when Deuce was hurt. You potentially had 2 chances to do this... the first one you were too late, and the second you decided to wait. That decision is why you don't have Smith. It's not the software's fault.

On the pool of RBs, did Smith show up as a FA or on Waivers? If he showed up on Waivers, you have at least some legitimate reason to make a stink. If not, or if you don't know, I really don't think you have a leg to stand on.

One of your studs went down... you MUST have looked at all available RBs, thinking there might be someone more viable in an 8 man league than Smith (even Stecker or Chatman may be more valuable.)

I see this as a clear cut case of ____ or get off the pot. You knew there was a chance Smith would be gone, because you were beaten to the punch the first time. You knew there was some demand on the guy. And Yahoo makes it clear that this rule is in place. It does come down to your mistakes, and not a software glitch, or rule violation on the opponent's part.

Unless...

Unless he has no intention of playing Smith and just picked him up to prevent you from filling your spot. If he's just holding Smith, and has too much RB depth to even possibly make it reasonable to play the guy, then he's in violation of a Yahoo league rule against picking up players just so that others can't.

IMO, I'd let this go. I wouldn't make a fuss over it. I don't know that there's any reason to care that you didn't get Smith... he may not be the starter for long anyway.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk