Question regarding next yrs draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Question regarding next yrs draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Question regarding next yrs draft

Postby aussieboy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 am

I'm assuming that Matt Leinart will be the consensus #1 pick in next years NFL draft.

I was wondering what would happen if a team that already had a good young QB landed the #1 spot. Teams like Houston, Green Bay, SanFransico etc.

Is Leinart that good that these teams would shelve their current young QBs and take the USC QB, or would they trade out of the #1spot?

What would Houston do? Not only do they have a former 1st round QB, they also have a good RB, would they take one of the stud college RBs even?

Interested in your opinions.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:16 am

If a team that has it's franchise QB set has the #1 pick, they will almost certainly try to trade down. It's not always easy, though. Teams are reluctant to trade up since it would cost major $$$. CC would be best to comment on this. I'm not sure who the consensus #2 is right now and that could change things.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:51 am

I could see a team that already has a QB going with a tackle like D'Brickshaw Ferguson with the #1 pick to protect their young QB. A team like Houston in particular has problems with their pass blocking.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Re: Question regarding next yrs draft

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 am

aussieboy wrote:I'm assuming that Matt Leinart will be the consensus #1 pick in next years NFL draft.

I was wondering what would happen if a team that already had a good young QB landed the #1 spot. Teams like Houston, Green Bay, SanFransico etc.

Didn't you say good young QB? That should rule out Carr right there. :-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:19 am

If the Texans are smart, they will draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson.....

Or they could trade down, and take one of: Marcus McNeill, Eric Winston or Jonathan Scott, and pick up another draft pick to work with....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:59 am

Yeah, D'Brickashaw would be a very good move for them...Wasn't he rumored to be entering last year's draft? Whatever happened with that? Or was he ineligible for it?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:21 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Yeah, D'Brickashaw would be a very good move for them...Wasn't he rumored to be entering last year's draft? Whatever happened with that? Or was he ineligible for it?

He considered it, and almost surely would have been a top 7 pick, if he had, but he decided to go back to school.... Wise move, IMO, because he seems to have gotten to the point where he is anticipating defender's moves even better this year...

He'll almost definitely going be a top 5 pick in '06, and I think he'd make a GREAT acquisition for the Texans.... HOWEVER, there is a possibility if they wind up with the first overall pick that they could trade down to about number 5, and still pick him up... If that happens, they could probably also scoop up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder....

OR, they could drop down to the mid-1st round and take a guy like Winston, and pick up some even better compensation....

I'm thinking we'll see it shape up something like this:

1) Houston
2) San Francisco
3) Baltimore
4) Buffalo
5) Chicago

If that happens, the Texans would be wise to trade Buffalo their #1 so the Bills could draft Leinart... The Bills would probably also throw in their 2nd round pick, and possibly even their third rounder, if the Texans would toss in their fourth...

Then the Bills would go with Leinart....

The Niners would take Reggie Bush....

Baltimore would likely take Vince Young....

The Texans would take D'Brickashaw Ferguson....

And Chicago would likely draft the best available WR....

Seem about right?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:26 pm

It's gotta be D'Brickashaw for Houston.
For GB I would probably recommend Ahmad Brooks.

For anyone who cares about this kind of stuff I will be putting out my top 32 prospects for next years draft with an explanation for each one and likely a look at the players long-term potential in the NFL sometime in the next ten days most likely.

I was going to submit it as a POV, but I will likely just post it in the Leftovers forum.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:35 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Yeah, D'Brickashaw would be a very good move for them...Wasn't he rumored to be entering last year's draft? Whatever happened with that? Or was he ineligible for it?

He was eligible but decided to stay for whatever reason. Hasn't turned out so well though as he's had some injury problems.

Plinds: I think that's about right although if Chicago got the 5th pick I doubt they would take a WR. There just aren't any WR worth taking that high, they'd likely look at taking one of the Tackles or maybe even Hawk/Greenway/Brooks. If not they'll trade down.

CC: Defenitely looking forward to what you have to say, probably one of my favorite parts about the Cafe is this forum and your yearly draft previews. Oh and love the CJ sig, probably the most talented WR to come out since Andre Johnson. Was just thinking about making a sig of him actually.
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:43 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:It's gotta be D'Brickashaw for Houston.
For GB I would probably recommend Ahmad Brooks.

For anyone who cares about this kind of stuff I will be putting out my top 32 prospects for next years draft with an explanation for each one and likely a look at the players long-term potential in the NFL sometime in the next ten days most likely.

I was going to submit it as a POV, but I will likely just post it in the Leftovers forum.

Lookin forward to that CC ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football