Hines Ward... out of his depth in a wading pool? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hines Ward... out of his depth in a wading pool?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hines Ward... out of his depth in a wading pool?

Postby Cooner » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:31 pm

Ok, I must preface this by saying that Hines Ward is probably my favorite player in the NFL. He plays the game with more tenacity than pretty much anyone, and you'll never see a player smile and laugh more in a game than this guy. I love watching him play, and he's the guy everyone wants to root for.

That said, did anyone else see the pregame show segment last night on ESPN and notice how absolutely slow Ward seemed? I mean, they had him reading little segments on previous plays, relating who was where and why the play worked or didn't work. He sounded like he had trouble reading the script. He didn't really have anything to add that was interesting. He really just came out sounding like a dolt. Was it just the script, or is Hines none too bright? I love the guy, but it really seems he's not the sharpest tool in the shed...
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:35 pm

I don't know what he got on his SATs but as long as he makes plays like he did on that TD that got called back he can start for me. If he had a pulled hammy and played as well as he did, it makes you wonder how much these guys really want to play who get pulled hammy's and sit out 4-8 weeks.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bklik » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:56 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem like he spikes the ball EVERY TIME he touches it?
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:16 pm

He must've been pretty smart. He played hardball with the Steelers in negotiations, won, got a big fat contract, and is still loved.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:22 pm

maddog60 wrote:He must've been pretty smart. He played hardball with the Steelers in negotiations, won, got a big fat contract, and is still loved.

I heard agents handle contract negotiations.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Hines Ward... out of his depth in a wading pool?

Postby biju » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:23 pm

Cooner wrote:Ok, I must preface this by saying that Hines Ward is probably my favorite player in the NFL. He plays the game with more tenacity than pretty much anyone, and you'll never see a player smile and laugh more in a game than this guy. I love watching him play, and he's the guy everyone wants to root for.

That said, did anyone else see the pregame show segment last night on ESPN and notice how absolutely slow Ward seemed? I mean, they had him reading little segments on previous plays, relating who was where and why the play worked or didn't work. He sounded like he had trouble reading the script. He didn't really have anything to add that was interesting. He really just came out sounding like a dolt. Was it just the script, or is Hines none too bright? I love the guy, but it really seems he's not the sharpest tool in the shed...

Not to sound too high and mighty but I've scored over 140 on most IQ tests I've ever taken which is considered genius level (in some cases even above 160).

I cannot read out loud.

I don't believe that makes me stupid (or conversely Hines Ward smart) but I do believe it takes a special skill to read and speak at the same time. Even more so to make it look natural like sports commentators do.

-M

* now I'm sure I'm going to get every post reviewed and made fun of every time I have a grammar or spelling mistake. :-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Rick James » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:28 pm

I'm not going to make fun of your spelling or grammer, but I will say it is pretty strange that you've taken what sounds like numerous IQ tests. Who takes those things after age 10????

Not to mention the fact that your score fluctuates from 140 to 160....are you tellign me that your IQ fluctuates 20 points on a daily basis???

get over yourself
Rick James
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:29 pm

I didn't see it.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby octagon999 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:01 pm

I had a totally different take from that segment. I thought is showed that he took his job very seriously. Studies the game and his opponents, as well as what he did right, wrong, and could improve in the future.

Perhaps you are confusing glibness with intelligence. A common mistake.
octagon999
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 8)

Postby maddog60 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:05 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
maddog60 wrote:He must've been pretty smart. He played hardball with the Steelers in negotiations, won, got a big fat contract, and is still loved.

I heard agents handle contract negotiations.

Shh, we're trying to get rid of them by pretending they don't exist ;-)

I was referring more to that delicate situation of threatening hold out and all of that, not the negotiations itself. And that, unlike other WRs in the NFL, he did not cause any contempt within the organization and still played hardball. That I think does take a degree of intelligence, though certainly not necessarily book smarts.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk