TB is NOT going to win the Super Bowl - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

TB is NOT going to win the Super Bowl

Moderator: Football Moderators

TB is NOT going to win the Super Bowl

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:05 am

Is this bothering anyone else? Everyone seems to be picking Tampa Bay to repeat. Do they forget how hard it is to repeat in the new parity NFL?

Don Banks (CNNSI) talks about who could possibly stop the Bucs on the road back to the Super Bowl. ESPN's crew nearly all picked TB to repeat. Only Peter King seems to have tossed them out solely because of their status as current champions. (Which statisticians and logicians would do.)

Look, TB is a great team, and has a chance to win it. But the reality is, a repeat is highly unlikely.

After three games last year, no one thought the Pats could be stopped. Belichick was a genius for bringing Bill Russell in; Tom Brady was unstoppable, etc.

Then they couldn't stop losing. Super Bowl winners in the NFL largely emerge in November and December, and remain injury free. If Brad Johnson, Warren Sapp, Brooks, etc. go down, the Bucs are done.

Anyone agree with me? This is really starting to bother me...
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 711
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yoda83 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:19 am

the thing that bothers me is how people are picking TB by saying, "well, they were the best team last year and won it. so why shouldnt they win it again?". tampa was barely a top 5 squad last year. and that's including their playoff performance.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 522
Joined: 1 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:00 am

I will agree and say that Tampa Bay won't win it.

The teams that I feel have the best bet to win the Super Bowl are the Eagles and Steelers.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1829
Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:15 am

Was I the only one that watched MNF?
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1863
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Portland, Oregon

Postby Homeless » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:32 am

That D is so far ahead of EVERY other defensive unit its sickening, with an average offense they will win in style. Only bad luck can stop them. (Injuries, bad calls etc)
Image
Image
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 10011
Joined: 21 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:35 am

9er Fan wrote:Was I the only one that watched MNF?


Remember watching the Pats dismantle (then) Super Bowl-bound Pittsburgh? It's one week.

I think TB has a great team. They will not win the Super Bowl, however, the odds are stacked against them.

And, Homeless, bad luck is rife in the NFL.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 711
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:42 am

the odds are stacked against them

Yes, if your claim is that one of the other 31 teams will win the superbowl, the odds are stacked against Tampa, but I'd happily put $100 on Tampa against any other single team to win the superbowl.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1863
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: TB is NOT going to win the Super Bowl

Postby LBJackal » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:44 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Only Peter King seems to have tossed them out solely because of their status as current champions. (Which statisticians and logicians would do.)


Obviously you're not a statistician......I took a grade 13 Stats class here in Canada (about equivalent to a US year 1 college class) and one of the first things we earn is that although something is not likely to happen, it can still be the MOST likely to happen.

One can say that not one individual team is likely to win the Super Bowl. But of all the teams that have a slim chance, TB's chances are least-slimmest. Sure it's hard to repeat, but that has NO effect on their chances to win compared to everybody else. If they have a 13% chance (hypothetically), then they probably won't win the Super Bowl, since there is an 87% chance that they won't win it. Not because they won it last year, those are independant from each other. But no team has a better chance to win it (again, hypothetically), so TB would be the best choice, since there are no better choices.

it can be compared to flipping a coin......it's next to impossible to flip heads 15 times in a row (i know some of you will try - you will not succeed, no matter how long you try), but if you get heads the first time (a 50% chance), that doesn't lower the chances of getting heads the next time - it's still 50%.

That being said, I'm not a real statistician, and I think TB will win the super bowl.
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 530
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: TB is NOT going to win the Super Bowl

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:08 pm

lbjackal wrote:although something is not likely to happen, it can still be the MOST likely to happen.


isn't that "Murphys Law"?!
Image

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5783
Joined: 6 Nov 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Bada Bing

Postby yoda83 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:11 pm

no, going for a super bowl repeat is not an independent event. there are way too many factors that arise b/c of the fact a team won it all the year before (eg. bullseye on the back; lethargy in the players, etc.). nothing like the coin flip.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 522
Joined: 1 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:41 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact