TB is NOT going to win the Super Bowl - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TB is NOT going to win the Super Bowl

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby josebach » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:53 am

What are the Buc's odds of winning the Superbowl?... 6 to 1? Where 6 to 1 makes the Bucs the overall favorite to win the Super Bowl, it still means that there is an 83.34 percent chance that they won't win it. The league is simply too competitive. With that being said, the same factors that go against the Bucs winning go against every other team too. If I had to bet, I'd be an idiot if I bet on any team other than the Bucs.

The coin flip analogy is very appropriate in this situation. I don't think having a "Bullseye" on their back is going to make any team rise to another level. They say it will, but I personally think these guys try their hardest all of the time. Let's say Mike Tyson bites the ear off my kid sister. Wil I be motivated to kick Tyson's ass?... Hell, yes!!!!! Will it happen?... Uhhhhhhhh, no.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:34 am

I think this year's Super Bowl winner will be someone who was decent last year, but has got it all together now.

I'm thinking the Chiefs or the Bills--whoever's defense is better come December. I'm thinking it might be the Bills. At least, I'm rooting for Bledsoe and Milloy.

And yes, I think both these teams can put up points against TB.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yoda83 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:09 am

yeah, KC and BUF are good choices. i like TEN, too.

the coin flip is completely inappropriate. when a coin is flipped, it is an independent event (eg. the wind doesnt blow harder BECAUSE heads turned up last time). when a team begins a title defense, their opponents react differently BECAUSE of the previous year's championship. their opponents' fans react differently BECAUSE of that championship. and even the super bowl winner has to deal w/ increased media attention, arrogance, complacency BECAUSE of the title win.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby greatgretzky » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:37 am

not to mention in many cases a schedule that is harder or different than the previous year...
greatgretzky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 49ers Forever » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:14 pm

first of all, at the beginning of the football season, the 9ers are always the favorite to win it all. That being said..... "Was I the only one who watched MNF?" No, I watched it too. I watched Philly struggle up and down the field. I saw a clear-cut tuck rule situation that was ruled a fumble. I saw a late-game interception that was a tipped ball. Two things. These things happen for good defenses, which tampa has. BUT, Tampa didn't score a TD until the second half. Don't make it sound like the bucs stomped the eagles all game, because it just isn't so. AND, the two TDs they did score were both on insane Jurevicious catches. Not saying they don't deserve the points, just putting things in perspective. That second catch we will be seeing on sportscenter all year long. will the bucs repeat.... no.
49ers Forever
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtarail » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:17 pm

Listen we all know that the "parity is the word in NFL football". And we know that "any team can win." (This was proven by the Patriots). And we know that "TB's defense might have actually improved this offseason." These are all just soundbites. The fact of the matter is TB' defense was and is pretty dominant and they don't need to have a great offense. TB ripped through some pretty good offenses last year to get toand win the SuperBowl. Is there a good chance that another team will win this year? Yep, KC and Buffalo (if there D's come together), and you could make arguments for some other squads. But at this early point in the year TB is the favorite. Circus catches by Jurevicious aside, they didn't let Phillie's offense even get close to scoring. As I recall, they were in field goal range one time during the game and then McNabb got intercepted.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby yoda83 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:38 pm

what about the FG fake in the first half that smith should have caught? the one that would have put the eagles on top and kept the momentum going for philly?
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mtarail » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:21 pm

yoda83 wrote:what about the FG fake in the first half that smith should have caught? the one that would have put the eagles on top and kept the momentum going for philly?

Let me get this right. TB is not the favorite because Philly's player should have caught a ball, which would have given them their first score (instead of getting SHUT OUT at home), and based on that, they would have won?
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby greatgretzky » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:55 pm

no, that is not accurate which is what he is saying. but they did get close, on the fake fg, the previous drive with thrash's end around and the interception. If I am not mistaken they got inside their fifty ona drive, and it stalled due to apenalty. Tampa does look the team to beat, but the MNf game was a lot closer than the score represents...
greatgretzky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

go Tampa

Postby jlarge_25 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:43 pm

well see at the end of the yr if all the hype is valid. I think Tampa is great and I hope they repeat.
Representing them down south boys from central Florida!
jlarge_25
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk