My sleeper WR of the week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My sleeper WR of the week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:32 pm

I am a true Texans fan and it sucks. I just think Carr doesnt get rid of the dang ball....he sucks. he has a cannon and all the right tools but he has NO confidence. I also think the Oline needs major improvement but c'mon guys....Carr needs to pony up and take the dang blame.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:50 pm

well i picked up Kevin Johnson. I just dont see the texans being able to throw the ball with all the troulbe they have been having with protecting David Carr. Especially since AJs numbers have been so low.

Even though Harrington isnt an all star he gets enough time to throw and hopefully should be able to hit an open wr. The running game should get stuffed by Carolina and detriot should be passing a good deal in this game.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:51 pm

I don't understand calling a Texans WR a great play this week. Sure AJ is out, but what was he doing when he was playing? This is not a fantasy friendly posistion (Texans WR). Jurevisious was and is a good play because in that system recievers produce. In Houston if AJ hasn't done anything, as he is much more talented than his back ups, what makes you think they will?

I know people like to find the great play to make them the FF genius of the week, but you wont find that player in Houston.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:22 pm

I like Chris Henry alot this week if TJ can't play.....
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My sleeper WR of the week

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:28 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:If you are having problems with your WR's, Andre Johnson is very likely out and Bradford was demoted to the 3 spot, leaving Gaffney and D Davis as the only real receiving options on the Texans. He won't go off like Joe Jurevicius last week, but he just might put up some needed points for all you AJ, Brandon Lloyd, and Donald Driver owners out there who are fed up with a range of 0-4 points a week. If you were smart you grabbed Joe J last week, pairing him up with Gaffney in a battle of two teams that can be passed on (Houston vs Seattle) might be a good option.

The problem in Houston isn't the fact that their WR's are no good.... The problem is that David Carr has all of 0.5 seconds to throw the ball before the entire defensive line of the opposition does a riverdance on his face....

Switching WR's will not do anything to change that... Give him T.O. and Randy Moss, and the Texans would still have the worst passing game in the NFL....

Give them a real QB and maybe the Texan's wouldn't suck so bad. David Carr is worse than Harrington.

The Texans are looking at the #1 overall pick this year in the draft.... I wonder if they go Leinart or trade down for D'Brickashaw Ferguson....

Personally, I think the ideal situation would be if they traded Andre Johnson and their #1 to Atlanta for Mike Vick and Atlanta's first rounder....

Atlanta could then pick up Lawrence Maroney (or the back of their choice) and the Texans would not only pick up Vick, but could also use the first rounder they get from the Falcons to pick up the best available tackle.... Maybe a guy like Winston (MIA)....

The Falcons would be crazy to trade Michael Vick. ;-7
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:43 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:well i picked up Kevin Johnson. I just dont see the texans being able to throw the ball with all the troulbe they have been having with protecting David Carr. Especially since AJs numbers have been so low.

Even though Harrington isnt an all star he gets enough time to throw and hopefully should be able to hit an open wr. The running game should get stuffed by Carolina and detriot should be passing a good deal in this game.

ok, thanks to brutally huge I got some target info, and Kevin Johnson was targeted 7 times last week. He's gotten some looks, and still done nothing. Granted 7 looks from harrington, isn't the same as 7 from bulger or Manning, but he's in the game, and hasn't done much.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby PSU All Day » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:11 am

If Roy Williams can't get it done in Detroit no one will. The only reason to pick up a Detroit WR is if you believe that Detroits problems in the air are due to one of two things:

1. The current WR's have been the problem not the QB

2. The D's they have played concentrated so much at stopping the WR's in the past and now won't because they think the WR's are not worth covering.

Personally, I think it is the QB.
"There are Lies, Big Lies, and then Statistics"

"Value Based Drafting is your friend!"
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: My sleeper WR of the week

Postby Mr. Copernicus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:14 am

kingctb27 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:If you are having problems with your WR's, Andre Johnson is very likely out and Bradford was demoted to the 3 spot, leaving Gaffney and D Davis as the only real receiving options on the Texans. He won't go off like Joe Jurevicius last week, but he just might put up some needed points for all you AJ, Brandon Lloyd, and Donald Driver owners out there who are fed up with a range of 0-4 points a week. If you were smart you grabbed Joe J last week, pairing him up with Gaffney in a battle of two teams that can be passed on (Houston vs Seattle) might be a good option.

The problem in Houston isn't the fact that their WR's are no good.... The problem is that David Carr has all of 0.5 seconds to throw the ball before the entire defensive line of the opposition does a riverdance on his face....

Switching WR's will not do anything to change that... Give him T.O. and Randy Moss, and the Texans would still have the worst passing game in the NFL....

Give them a real QB and maybe the Texan's wouldn't suck so bad. David Carr is worse than Harrington.

The Texans are looking at the #1 overall pick this year in the draft.... I wonder if they go Leinart or trade down for D'Brickashaw Ferguson....

Personally, I think the ideal situation would be if they traded Andre Johnson and their #1 to Atlanta for Mike Vick and Atlanta's first rounder....

Atlanta could then pick up Lawrence Maroney (or the back of their choice) and the Texans would not only pick up Vick, but could also use the first rounder they get from the Falcons to pick up the best available tackle.... Maybe a guy like Winston (MIA)....

The Falcons would be crazy to trade Michael Vick. ;-7

The Falcons would be crazy smart if they did it but it'll NEVER happen. I like what I've seen of Shaub and think their team is on the verge and the package it'd take to get Vick would definitely be Herschell Walker esque. However, that'd be like the bears trading Urlacher or something. He's the face of the organization, in or entering his prime, and surely is the reason for many current ATL fans rooting for the Falcons... I don't think fans would ever forgive them. Who knows though, the Moss trade worked wonders for the Vikes so I suppose anything is possible. ;-D

back on topic: I'll go with a non-Steve Smith Carolina WR. Seems to be an every other week trend that Steve shows up and this week someone has to pick up the slack due to some injuries that'll slow the running game.
Mr. Copernicus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

WR Scoring This Week vs. Opposing Pass Defenses

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:39 am

I'll probably post this elsewhere so it will be easier to find, but here's a chart that shows which WR's have the best shot at a touchdown this week, by position alone -- i.e. Burress is playing a team that has given up 6 touchdowns to #1 receivers.

This doesn't factor in receptions or yards allowed, just receiver scores. If your stud WR isn't on this list, don't panic. Some teams haven't faced many great receivers yet this year, and we're working with only 4-5 weeks of data.

P. Burress - Dallas has allowed 6 #1 WR scores, the most in the league.

J. Galloway - Whatever happened to that Clayton kid?
T. Glenn - Two careers resurrected for the price of one.
T. Housh or C. Henry (Housh if he gets the start.)
T. Taylor - Somebody's not missing Burleson.

M. Harrison - Eli torched the Rams ... expect Peyton to do less?
C. Johnson - You didn't think Housh would have all the fun did ya?
R. Smith - Rod Smith hasn't done much but the matchup is right.

C. Bradford - Matchup is decent but Houston's passing game is %?#!
B. Finneran - He's coming alive and the matchup is good.
J. Jurevicius - This guy was money before getting the redzone all to himself.
S. Moss - The only Moss with a good matchup this week.
R. Wayne - Harrison and Edge can't have all the fun.
Roy Williams - He's due.

J. Porter
D. Gabriel
K. McCardell
D. Givens
H. Ward
K. Colbert
E. Kennison
J. Gaffney

Noteworthy: If Henry should start in place of Housh, he has a great matchup, but as a third receiver he doesn't. Even in a reduced role, however, he's probably a better play than most other free agent pickups.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:07 am

No Randy Moss eh DD?

Seems to me that coming off a bye week and going up against a team that has allowed 7 WR TDs so far this yr Moss may be the WR of the week quite easily.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk