My sleeper WR of the week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My sleeper WR of the week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:45 am

So it seem to me that the consensus of opinion here is that Houston's recv's don't have a bat's chance even against a poor Seattle pass D (19th) We were trying to discover the sleeper of the week. KJ has been shot at and missed and shit at and hit. JJ was last weeks sleeper. Why not Eric Parker this week in a shootout? Because of people lke LT Gates and McCardell. Personally I like Patrick Crayton this week V NYG.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:13 am

If Schaub is in at QB again this week, I'm liking Brian Finneran to have a good game. 5 catches for 100 yards last week against New England, and this week they play New Orleans.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:24 am

PSU All Day wrote:If Roy Williams can't get it done in Detroit no one will. The only reason to pick up a Detroit WR is if you believe that Detroits problems in the air are due to one of two things:

1. The current WR's have been the problem not the QB

2. The D's they have played concentrated so much at stopping the WR's in the past and now won't because they think the WR's are not worth covering.

Personally, I think it is the QB.

Couple of things - the current WRs have been a MAJOR problem in DET. Neither Roy or CRog have been able to get off the line cleanly all yr - this is an ongoing problem. BMW is still too inexperienced to make a serious contribution. So, to answer the first part, yes the WRs in DET have absolutely contributed to the problem. This in no means should be taken that I am trying to absolve Joey - he's been pretty poor as well.

Secondly - defenses have not been focusing their effort to stop the pass at all actually. Just the opposite. They are placing their DEs in bump coverage and daring the Lions to throw over the top since they know that Joey's deep passing issues combined with a Mariucci dink and dunk offense the best way to face DET is to break up the timing of the WRs and concentrate on stopping the run. This allows for more pass rushing and stacking the box with an extra safety.

Those who watch DET games know that Kevin Johnson has clearly been the best WR on this team even though he doesnt get half the reps that the top 2 have gotten this yr. Joey has a nice repore with KJohnson since he's the only guy actually getting open within Joey's comfort level. How that will change now that KJohnson is the only viable WR, I dont know, but I did want to dispell a couple rumors about the DET situation.

Joey is a poor QB, but that does not take the blame off of the WRs who have seriously underperformed and an offensive scheme that archaic and easily defendable.

Kevin Johnson is a sleeper WR this week fellas - he will get a ton of looks as the only viable WR in an offense that more than likely is going to have to play from behind.

Oh yeah - the downside - as I believe someone else mentioned: KJohnson is the only viable WR but he isnt the only downfield target - Marcus Pollard will be a major part of the offense this week too. Joey looks for Pollard in the redzone more than any other target.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk