Texas offensive line shakeup (interest for DD, Carr, Sea D) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Texas offensive line shakeup (interest for DD, Carr, Sea D)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Texas offensive line shakeup (interest for DD, Carr, Sea D)

Postby Challie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:32 am

This isn't earth shattering info, but it's interesting to football starved junkies between Sundays. From Yahoo this morning ...

Oct 12 Surrendering 27 sacks in four games has led the Texans to shuffle their offensive line, and the unit that takes the field Sunday night against the Seahawks could have just one starter in the same position he occupied a week ago. "You will see some changes at the end of the week, but right now I can't say what they are," Texans coach Dom Capers told the Houston Chronicle. "We're going to do what's best for the team. I think weith where we are right now, we have to make an attempt to become more productive and do a better job in the passing game." Right guard Zach Wiegert remains entrenched at right guard, but the current plan has center Steve McKinney shifting to left guard, Chester Pitts moving from left guard to left tackle, Victor Riley from left tackle to right tackle to compete with incumbent Todd Wade, and rookie fifth-round pick Drew Hodgdon taking over at center.

Views: On pace to surrender a record-shattering 108 sacks and currently ranked last in total offense with a meager 213 yards per game, the Texans simply had to do something. The changes aren't quite as dramatic as they appear; Pitts played left tackle during his first two seasons in the NFL, McKinney played left guard for four years in Indianapolis, and Riley has more experience at right tackle than at left. The wild card is Hodgdon, a rookie who has been inactive for the first four games of the season. Run blocking shouldn't be a problem, because the Texans' zone-blocking scheme won't require much change in assignments. Pass protection, however, could remain a problem as players adjust to the man next to him. At least they're trying to do something to keep David Carr upright, because allowing seven sacks in each of the past two games wasn't getting it done.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SniperShot » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:34 am

Any O-Line would need time to gel together anyway. I figure Houston to have the crappiest O-Line all year. Problem is they had these problems in 2004 and did nothing to change it in the offseason.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:24 pm

I'm sorry, but this seems like a smoke-screen pandering to those that don't pay attention.

I highly doubt their offensive line sucks so much because of where they're playing and that moving a bad left guard to left tackle and a bad left tackle to right tackle is going to magically fix the gushing wound that is their lack of pass protection.

I don't see this having any real positive effect. They need better linemen, and possibly a better O-line coach, not musical chairs.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby monkey69 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:01 pm

If you stir sh** around, it is still sh**
This was a problem they were aware of last year and did nothing to fix - I think Capers is going to get canned - not that that will help the O-line problems
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:03 pm

Aaagggghhh ... the sky is falling! Bench all your Seahawks!
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Alkaholik » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:17 pm

Hugh M. Griz wrote:Aaagggghhh ... the sky is falling! Bench all your Seahawks!

Bench all your Seahawks? I like the "if you stir ****, its still ****" but I have to agree that it will improv their O line, it's not like they are all new to the new pos. 4 of them that have been moved have all had experience in the NFL at that position.

It will be interesting to watch though since i have Dom Davis on my FF team and my home team is the Hawks.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby biju » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:13 pm

Alkaholik wrote:
Hugh M. Griz wrote:Aaagggghhh ... the sky is falling! Bench all your Seahawks!

Bench all your Seahawks? I like the "if you stir ****, its still ****" but I have to agree that it will improv their O line, it's not like they are all new to the new pos. 4 of them that have been moved have all had experience in the NFL at that position.

It will be interesting to watch though since i have Dom Davis on my FF team and my home team is the Hawks.

This is true, but they've been practicing and memorizing the blocking schemes of plays for a different position all year long. I don't see this as a way to make things better at all. If anything it's just going to be confusing at first and ok at best.

I guess "ok" is better than what they're currently doing though. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:39 pm

maddog60 wrote:I'm sorry, but this seems like a smoke-screen pandering to those that don't pay attention.

I highly doubt their offensive line sucks so much because of where they're playing and that moving a bad left guard to left tackle and a bad left tackle to right tackle is going to magically fix the gushing wound that is their lack of pass protection.

I don't see this having any real positive effect. They need better linemen, and possibly a better O-line coach, not musical chairs.

The Texan's need a QB that knows how to throw the ball. It's as simple as that. Pass the blame to the O-line, but David Carr has been getting sacked like crazy for his entire career. IT'S THE QUARTERBACK!!! Ever notice how all the critics say that Andre Johnson would be a stud IF this and IF that. But no one blames Carr? No one calls for his job like Harrington even now that the Texan's are the worst team in the entire NFL? Everyone passes the blame because Carr is supposedly a good QB, but I just don't see it.
---

The Texan's need a QB that doesn't tuck it away at the first sign of pressure. They need a QB that actually steps up in the pocket and delivers the ball. They need a QB that actually trusts his WRs and will let the make a play. Seriously, David Carr looks at his WRs for like 1 second, and then when he feels even the slightest hint of pressure, he gets happy feet and scrambles. Now this might work if that was the strength of his game, like a guy like Jeff Garcia... but David Carr becomes a HORRIBLE QB when he starts scrambling. He's inaccurate, he makes bad decisions, and more often than not.... he doesn't get away from the pressure.

Throw the damn ball, get 30 INTS this season, but gain experience as a passer and come back better next year. Carr is doing nothing.Houston's need to draft/trade up for Leinhart and move on.
----

I'll play any defense that faces the Texan's this year.. just like San Francisco. They are just a horrible offensive team and their QB makes rookie mistakes.

Stay away from all Texans outside of Domanic Davis. Andre Johnson is not a buy low, he's a bust.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Challie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:10 pm

Good analysis, Kensat.

This would also explain what's mysterious to me - how can that line manage to get DD good yardage, but not be able to pass block. One of these things is true, and only one:

1) The line is actually solid and Carr is awful
2) The line stinks and DD is a great back.

I haven't seen a Texans game all year (thank God), so I can't really weigh in on this.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby onnestabe » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:19 pm

Challie wrote:Good analysis, Kensat.

This would also explain what's mysterious to me - how can that line manage to get DD good yardage, but not be able to pass block. One of these things is true, and only one:

1) The line is actually solid and Carr is awful
2) The line stinks and DD is a great back.

I haven't seen a Texans game all year (thank God), so I can't really weigh in on this.

Since being displaced by Katrina to Houston, I have had to watch the Texans - you have the right idea being thankful that you haven't had to watch them.

I would say that neither of your theories are entirely true. That line is nowhere near solid. Their big acquisition in the offseason was Victor "false start" Riley. He was terrible as a right tackle with the Saints, and I have no idea why they thought he would be able to play left tackle - the more difficult and important of the two positions. Also, run blocking is much easier to do than pass blocking, considering how complicated blitz schemes are these days.

It seems that most of DD's yards come off dump off passes and a couple big runs a game. The line lets a free rusher at least 1/3 of the pass plays they run, and most of the time, Carr just tosses it over to DD, and that's how he gets his yardage totals. Carr usually doesn't have time to make reads or go through progressions, and when he does, he is so used to being hurried, he feels pressure that isn't there (you would too if you had been sacked as many times as Carr) and makes poor throws. Culpepper was having the same problem early this year when Birk's backup was letting guys blow up the middle of the line every play.

I think Carr does well considering the situation, but he's been hit so many times that he is broken right now. He is not going to realize his potential (which is to be a solid starter, think Dilfer or Bledsoe) until he can play behind a line that reliably gives him times to make decisions that are based on defensive coverages - as opposed to his own survival.

My two cents after watching a few Texan games.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk