NFC Norris Division - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFC Norris Division

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby jayday » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:38 pm

why is it called the nfc Norris division? where do they come up with norris?
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:45 pm

jayday wrote:why is it called the nfc Norris division? where do they come up with norris?

It's another tired Berman-ism...there was a division in hockey called the Norris division that had teams from the north in it, so he just transplanted it to football. :-B

Anyway, the Lions are sitting pretty right now...all they have to do is beat the other opponents once each, and they could win this division.

The Pack is now 1-5 with very little margin for error. Luckily, that margin is larger when every team is fairly pathetic.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: NFC Norris Division

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:49 pm

The_Dude wrote:I think this was a question on the ESPN Sunday Morning show this weekend, and I thought I'd open it up to the Cafe...

The NFC North has to be the most pathetic division in professional sports right now. You have 4 teams, all with losing records (well, the Lions are .500, but they've played like they should have a losing record). Who wins this division? And, how many games do they win? (will they have a better record than the San Diego Padres?)

Right now, I honestly have to say that Green Bay has gotta be the favorite at 1-4... how ridiculous is that?

Please opine...

Dude

Are you serious? Green Bay is the worst of the bunch. And come on, its not like the AFC East is head and shoulders above this division. The Patriots lead at 3-3, and the other teams are under .500. Anyways, the Bears will win the sadsack division with an 8-8 record.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jayday » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:26 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
jayday wrote:why is it called the nfc Norris division? where do they come up with norris?

It's another tired Berman-ism...there was a division in hockey called the Norris division that had teams from the north in it, so he just transplanted it to football. :-B

Anyway, the Lions are sitting pretty right now...all they have to do is beat the other opponents once each, and they could win this division.

The Pack is now 1-5 with very little margin for error. Luckily, that margin is larger when every team is fairly pathetic.

thanks...i heard Boomer say it like 5 times on primetime....had no clue what he was talking about....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:22 pm

One more win for the Bears, and I'll take the bag off my head...
Anyways, who would've thought the Bears and Lions would be atop the "division". With all their injuries, it's hard to say the Lions have the best shot, so at this point I would actually give the Bears the edge, as they are already 2-0 in divisional play. However, they will NOT beat the Packers twice...one win would be wonderful, because no matter how bad they are, the Packers and Favre will always get up for Da Bears.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:35 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:

Actually one of my favorite Bermanisms, since Hockey dismantled its named divisions in favor of bland directions (north, south, etc.)

Norris to me is a bit of welcome nostalgia.

And honestly, of all the bad football announcers/commentators, Boomer doesn't even make the bottom 10.
Last edited by The_Dude on Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:39 pm

The_Dude wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:

[quote]

Actually one of my favorite Bermanisms, since Hockey dismantled its named divisions in favor of bland directions (north, south, etc.)

Norris to me is a bit of welcome nostalgia.

And honestly, of all the bad football announcers/commentators, Boomer doesn't even make the bottom 10.[/quote]

Does Joe Buck?

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:54 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:
Does Joe Buck?

Joe Buck rocks! I'll even watch baseball (for a while) when he's calling the game.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ateam » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:59 pm

Da Bears.

They are the Ravens of '05.

Fantastic Defense, great running game, and a QB who won't lose the game for you.

The rook gets better every week, and Grossman will be back soon as well.
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dmville » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:45 am

ateam wrote:Da Bears.

They are the Ravens of '05.

Fantastic Defense, great running game, and a QB who won't lose the game for you.

The rook gets better every week, and Grossman will be back soon as well.

Except the CIN game where he threw 5 INT. :-? But he does learn and improve. A lot of throw aways yesterday instead of trying to force it into coverage on a poor throwing day. He looked absolutely baffled by the BAL D yesterday, wisely using timeouts instead of doing something stupid. But he had the luxury of a lead and didn't need to save the TO's.

They still have 5 games before Rex is back able to play but they do have a pretty soft schedule coming up. Hopefully Orton improves enough to give Rex all the time he needs. Seeing Rex hasn't played a NFL game in over a year, and then it was only three games, I don't look for him to be a savior by any means.
Dmville
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk