Matt Schaub v. Mike Vick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matt Schaub v. Mike Vick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matt Schaub v. Mike Vick

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:34 pm

Is it just me, or is anyone else thinking that the Falcons might do very well for themselves to investigate trading Vick in the off-season?

I bet Detroit would give them an arm and a leg for him....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:55 pm

No. I think that with any good team you need two good qbs. The titans have had volek who has been good for a number of years. Volek is the reason people never shyed away from starting mason if mcnair was ever out. The Falcons built their entire offense around vick. The strong Rushing game with Dunn and Duckett, a dependable TE, good Defense. Vick doesn't need wrs to win, just for the occasional big play. Since Shaub is so different, I'd think that he would need the wrs more, and the Falcons would probably suck with him at the helm.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:02 pm

skibrett15 wrote:No. I think that with any good team you need two good qbs.

Actually, I'd say that the very best teams are quite the opposite.

Think about the Colts, or Pats, or Eagles. None of these teams could remain as dominant with their backup QB. And the past 4 years these teams have been the most consistently dangerous to play.

I think since there is no way Atlanta would ever trade Vick, they should spend the off-season developing a 2 QB system. Seriously, lineup Schaub and Vick in the backfield, the defense doesn't know who the snap is going to. You can an entirely different scheme. This would obviously be no small task to implement well, but if they pulled it off, they'd be using Vick to his fullest, having someone that can get him the ball in open space.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 pm

well, vick I think is such an injury risk (something I think I forgot to mention) that it's necessary to have a more competent backup than most. McNair was the same way. To be honest I'm in the dark why the Iggles don't get a good backup.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:16 pm

skibrett15 wrote:No. I think that with any good team you need two good qbs. The titans have had volek who has been good for a number of years. Volek is the reason people never shyed away from starting mason if mcnair was ever out. The Falcons built their entire offense around vick. The strong Rushing game with Dunn and Duckett, a dependable TE, good Defense. Vick doesn't need wrs to win, just for the occasional big play. Since Shaub is so different, I'd think that he would need the wrs more, and the Falcons would probably suck with him at the helm.

Why not trade Vick for a WR plus draft picks, then?

Like, for example, Mike Vick for Lee Evans and the Bills 1st round pick in '06....

Could work out nicely.... Especially if the Falcons then used that pick to draft a RB to replace Dunn.... Cause I'm not sure TJ Duckett can handle 30 carries....

Besides that, the Falcons have the wide receivers to get it done.... The reason the passing game struggles is because Mike Vick is a horrible passer....

How many times do we have to see the guy sail a ball 10 feet over a receiver's head before we're going to stop blaming the wideouts?

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:40 pm

What would you choose:

Drew Brees + LaDainian Tomlinson + Reche Caldwell

or

Michael Vick

Personally, I'd rather have just Brees than Michael Vick. But LT is arguably the best player in football.

Bad trade, Atlanta, bad trade.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:50 pm

Why trade Michael Vick? He's their best player and he wins games. The same thing can't be said for Matt Schaub.

Ever heard the military expression "reinforce victory, but never reinforce defeat". Sure you will get more in trade value for Vick (half the teams in the NFL would trade for the guy, no question), but why would you want to center your team around Schaub instead of Vick? It just doesn't make sense, no matter who or what you're getting for Vick.
---

Why does a team have to go the conventional route if they are winning anyways? Who needs a 4,000/30 type QB when they are winning @GB in the playoffs for the first time ever. When they are advancing to the Conference Championship a year after drafting in the top10, etc.

Michael Vick wins game, it's as simple as that.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Charlie24 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:02 pm

maddog60 wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:No. I think that with any good team you need two good qbs.

Actually, I'd say that the very best teams are quite the opposite.

Think about the Colts, or Pats, or Eagles. None of these teams could remain as dominant with their backup QB. And the past 4 years these teams have been the most consistently dangerous to play.

I think since there is no way Atlanta would ever trade Vick, they should spend the off-season developing a 2 QB system. Seriously, lineup Schaub and Vick in the backfield, the defense doesn't know who the snap is going to. You can an entirely different scheme. This would obviously be no small task to implement well, but if they pulled it off, they'd be using Vick to his fullest, having someone that can get him the ball in open space.

this would be extremely interesting, and funny to say the least, to watch... there's a problem though. When Schaub takes the snap, Vick can run it or catch it. When vick takes the snap, What the heck would Schaub do? just stand there around looking lost like a K does most of the game?? ;-7
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Michael Vick wins game, it's as simple as that.

No offense, but I can't stand it when people say Mike Vick wins games.

These same people say that defenses win championships and discredit Trent Dilfer. There's a lot of hypocrisy.

First of all, Atlanta had a pretty sick defense last year. #1 in sacks, #9 in INTs, #8 in rush defense, #8 in forced fumbles, tied for 3rd in defensive TDs. They were turnover machines.

Second of all, they had the best rushing attack in the NFL (I know Vick is part of that).

You simply don't know how a good pocket QB would do in Atlanta with that defense and that running game (a QB who doesn't turn the ball over much). No one really knows.

But to say that Mike Vick wins games is a slap in the face to that defense, that O-Line Coach, Dunn & Duckett, and the others in that organization. A football team wins games. And judging from Vick's stats, he's not really helping all that much. That's just my opinion.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:08 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Michael Vick wins game, it's as simple as that.

No offense, but I can't stand it when people say Mike Vick wins games.

These same people say that defenses win championships and discredit Trent Dilfer. There's a lot of hypocrisy.

First of all, Atlanta had a pretty sick defense last year. #1 in sacks, #9 in INTs, #8 in rush defense, #8 in forced fumbles, tied for 3rd in defensive TDs. They were turnover machines.

Second of all, they had the best rushing attack in the NFL (I know Vick is part of that).

You simply don't know how a good pocket QB would do in Atlanta with that defense and that running game (a QB who doesn't turn the ball over much). No one really knows.

But to say that Mike Vick wins games is a slap in the face to that defense, that O-Line Coach, Dunn & Duckett, and the others in that organization. A football team wins games. And judging from Vick's stats, he's not really helping all that much. That's just my opinion.

I'm gonna have to agree.

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Football Talk