I hate the polls - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

I hate the polls

Moderator: Football Moderators

I hate the polls

Postby gogogadget » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:16 pm

Georgia in the top 5?! As an Auburn fan living in Georgia I can't stand it. Every article I have read on ESPN or any analyst on the television proclaims how good the Tennessee team was that they beat so badly but the truth is, Tennessee is horrible. They can't score points. Whenever I try to talk about this with a georgia or Tennessee fan they always go back to the UT LSU game but LSU gave them that win, they were caught sleeping.

This year is a bad year for the SEC. I don't think there is a single team in the SEC that deserves a top 5 placement right now. The best SEC team is...cringe...Alabama...it hurts to say that.

As I stated above, I am an Auburn fan so my hatred of the polls stems from last year and the problems with the polling system continue to be ignored. What coach is really going to take time away from their schedule to truly analyze the rest of the NCAA, I dont even know of a coach that has seen other teams outside of their schedule even play. Media is just as bad, why should their vote mean so much to the outcome of the season.

I know there isn't a perfect way, but the polls we have now can't be the best.

My rant.
"When I know nothing, the possibilities are endless."
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flockers » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:39 pm

Go Bulldogs!
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:30 pm

They are undefeated in what is traditionally the most difficult conference in college football. I don't understand why they shouldn't be top 5. Until they lose, they are DEFINITELY a top 5 team.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby gogogadget » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:05 pm

because the SEC is traditionally the best doesnt mean it is now, but that doesn't really matter. Vandy was undefeated, I believe 4-0. They weren't in the top 5 for one simple reason...they hadn't played anybody. Neither has Georgia...
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:07 pm

gogogadget wrote:because the SEC is traditionally the best doesnt mean it is now, but that doesn't really matter. Vandy was undefeated, I believe 4-0. They weren't in the top 5 for one simple reason...they hadn't played anybody. Neither has Georgia...

The SEC is the best conference in football right now. The only reason you don't see three or four teams ranked in the top 10 is because they beat each other up. The SEC currently has the best record of any conference overall, and has the most number of teams in the top 25, with six. What's your argument that they aren't as strong this year?

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby gogogadget » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:42 pm

VHawk15 wrote:The SEC is the best conference in football right now. The only reason you don't see three or four teams ranked in the top 10 is because they beat each other up. The SEC currently has the best record of any conference overall, and has the most number of teams in the top 25, with six. What's your argument that they aren't as strong this year?

My points were more directed towards the polls and how that it was ridiculous that Georgia was ranked in the top 5. Like I said in my second post, even if the SEC was clearly the best conference Georgia hasn't played the good teams from that conference yet. Tennessee is not a great team this year. Randy Sanders' offense is not even above average in the NCAA. The best teams in the conference are Alabama, LSU(i cant explain their loss to UT...but they must have already packed their bags during halftime, didnt want to play anymore...and didn't.) and Florida is a good team. Auburn might be at the same level that Georgia is right now, but I wouldn't know because they havent been tested yet. They have improved each week and will continue to do so....anyway, my point is that Georgia hasnt played those teams yet. This is a premature ranking. They aren't #5 in the nation.
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:17 am

I guess my only response to this would be "Who cares who is ranked where on October 14th?" Really, it's great for talking smack to your buddys, but it doesn't mean anything. I have friends that are Michigan fans and Ohio State fans and it is great to say Notre Dame is #9 and Ohio state is #16 and Michigan isn't ranked, but the TRUE rankings come out on January 6th (approx.) The only rankings that come even close to those are the rankings before Bowl Selections. So you only have two sets of rankings the entire year that really matter. Your opinion is Georgia doesn't deserve to be top 5. Your opinion is that Georgia will lose along the way. If you are correct, they probably won't be top 5 at the end of the year.

The SEC isn't strong? First of all, you are wrong. Second of all, USC is a prime example that strength of conference doesn't determine your ranking. If you are in a major conference and you win out, you are going to be top 5.

I personally like the rankings and I don't feel bad for Auburn last year or USC the year before that. The only argument I have against the BCS is that coaches are supposed to automatically vote for the winner of the BCS Chamionship game. The BCS, should be just the BCS, and if a coach thought Auburn was better than USC even after the BCS they should be able to vote that way. The chances of an exact split in the voting are slim, and if they do tie, that is when a playoff should come in (just between the two teams that tied).
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:37 am

While I agree that Georgia hasn't looked that great, I certainly can't disagree with them being ranked in the top 5. Their wins are always ugly, they've beaten a pair of ranked teams in very convincing fashion and are sitting undefeated.

I can't really see who would replace them in the top 25. Bama is done without Prothro, and then you're looking at either replacing them with some teams with losses (some of which were quite ugly losses) in Miami/LSU, or teams that still have a lot to prove in PSU/TT/UCLA.

I don't trust Shockley to not give away at least one game this year, but I don't see anyone that should replace them in the top 5. And the good part for you is, if they do lose a game this year (which according to your analysis should be a given), they're basically done for in the national title picture since they haven't been able to creep past the other similarly tiered teams when they have the same number of losses, and with USC and Texas' cakewalk schedules the rest of the way there will almost certainly be a pair of undefeateds left.

And all this discussion, all the arguing throughout the year, every year, in college football is why I love the rankings system.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby gogogadget » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:07 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:I guess my only response to this would be "Who cares who is ranked where on October 14th?"

I agree with that and it only fuels my hatred even more. So much emphasis is put on where your team is at and I personally usually dont know where even my team is at...if I hear where we are it normally goes in one ear and out the other. Because I don't care. The fact that Georgia was in the top 5 was really becoming aggravating though because they have nothing to earn that spot and they shouldn't have that spot when teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, and even UCLA have played as good, or tougher opponents and are still undefeated. Or in Notre Dame's case, had a much much tougher schedule so far and have gone through that stretch of games 4-1.

Let me reiterate I never said that the SEC was a bad conference. It may very well be the best...but that is irrelevant to my rant and it shouldnt be a reason for Georgia to be in the top 5.
gogogadget
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Crimedogg32 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:48 pm

sec best conference in football :-? ACC is the best and Big 10 is better than SEC
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to College Football