Worst BCS year yet? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Worst BCS year yet?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Worst BCS year yet?

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:39 pm

Looking at college football right now, there are currently 9 teams undefeated (USC, Texas, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Florida St., Alabama, Penn St., Texas Tech, and UCLA). These are not teams like Utah and Bowling Green that are in weak conferences. On the other hand, these are all programs that could go to the national championship game if they were to go undefeated.

Not all 9 of these teams will go undefeated, but a bunch of them have a really good shot at finishing the regular season up without a blemish on their records. What would happen if, for example, USC, Texas, Alabama, and Virginia Tech were all to go undefeated? I don't think we have seen more than 3 teams have a real case to be in the national championship game before. All four of those teams have already beaten strong opponents, and all four have potential heiman trophy finalist QBs.

My point is that this year is going to pose the biggest problems the BCS has seen thusfar.....
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:23 pm

I personally don't think we (VT) will go undefeated. We're just now getting to the toughest part of the schedule.

It could definitely turn ugly, though. Just imagine if an undefeated Georgia or Alabama were to be left out. The SEC would have a fit after having undefeated teams not make the NC game 2 years in a row (and rightfully so).
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:47 pm

If USC and Texas go undefeated they will be in and everyone else will be left out. There have been plenty of years where it looks like several teams will be undefeated only to see them lose. I really think USC will lose a game this year to someone. I like VT's chances....if they can beat Miami they have a good shot. Alabama will lose as well. Now if alot of teams have 1 loss and get left out that is when the fun begins.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:58 pm

Gunslinger wrote:It could definitely turn ugly, though. Just imagine if an undefeated Georgia or Alabama were to be left out. The SEC would have a fit after having undefeated teams not make the NC game 2 years in a row (and rightfully so).

Yeah, this is the situation that is the most realistic and most frightening for the BCS. Assuming one of USC, Texas, and VT loses, and either Alabama or Georgia wins out, we have a messy situation.

Especially after the Auburn debacle last year, it would a crime to leave Bama or UGA out, especially considering that the SEC is the strongest conference (based on popular opinion, record, and number of teams in the top 25) and both of those teams would have beaten teams like Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, and each other. That's five top 25 teams.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:35 pm

I doubt Alabama or VT wins out....

But I could easily see Texas, USC, and Georgia all being undefeated....

If that happens, I can't see how the pollsters would leave GA out of the big game, considering the fact that they will have survived by far the toughest schedule of the three....

Honestly, I think USC SHOULD be the team left out if those three schools go undefeated.... But that'll never happen....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:20 pm

I know it is unlikely, but if Penn St wins out, it would be a crime to leave them out, considering their schedule (Michigan, Oh. St., Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan St., Wisconsin)....

It will end up being a mess, thats for sure.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Flockers » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:23 pm

I'd actually love to see this happen. Then we can finally get rid of the BCS for good and have a playoff.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:48 am

USC will lose this weekend.
Penn State will lose this weekend.
Bama will lose.
VA Tech will lose.

Texas vs. Georgia for the National Championship.

You heard it here first.

Disclaimer: This is all wishes and guesses so I wouldn't take it too seriously.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cards24 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:54 am

It is still to early to make that assumption. Believe me the losses will come. When its all said and done USC and Texas will be at the big one.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby VaderFin » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:59 am

Georgia has beat Tenn and absolutely no one else. They still have to play Florida, Auburn, and Georgia Tech not to mention the SEC Championship game. They will not go undefeated.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football