Buy-Low Candidates - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Buy-Low Candidates

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:06 pm

good post Kensat - lots of important things to take note of: the ypg he is getting, the easy schedule ahead, and WRs returning from injury (Burleson) and developing (Williamson).

As much as I thought Cpepp would be a bust this yr, his pricetag could be low enough to throw one of your bench players at him in a trade.

I still think Cpepp as a QB has major problems with reading defenses and accuracy, but the real key is Williamson. He was targeted something like 13 or 14 times in the last game, and that could be a sign of things to come. Clearly someone in the MIN organization was smart enough to realize that Cpepp needs a WR that can stretch the field and thats why they jumped for Williamson so early. My thinking is that Cpepps success is going to be determined by Williamsons development. We'll see.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:05 pm

Count me as part of the boat that doesn't think Cpepp is a good buy-low anymore. For starters, this notion that he can be had for bench players just doesn't seem plausible to me. Culpepper is still a big name, and an early pick, and I doubt his owners have given up on him enough at this point to give him away for something you don't even need. You're still going to have to sacrifice a quality starter at another position to garner him.

You can't rely on the rushing numbers of years past, because he's certainly not running as much as he did prior to this year. A proponent of the safeties not playing way off the line to cover Moss perhaps?

The schedule bit I'll buy into a bit. He did look good against the only bad D he's faced, but that makes when he plays average days even more scary.

In his 4 games against the average/good D's, he's gone:
956yds 1td 12int, 53 yards rushing

And to be fair, while some of the D's he has coming up are pretty bad, NO may very well be far and away the worst he'll face outside of maybe St. Louis.

If you can get him for super cheap then he'd be worth stashing, but due to his name recognition alone he won't come all that cheap.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:00 am

Free Bagel wrote:If you can get him for super cheap then he'd be worth stashing, but due to his name recognition alone he won't come all that cheap.

This is the long and short of this discussion. Some Cpepp owners may be feeling so frusterated that they may just want to get rid of him instead of looking at him on their bench every week. I also can see where FB is coming from in that some Cpepp owners simply wont give him away unless they get a starter in return, and if thats the case, then no - he is not worth it. Consider where you drafted your backup QB this preseason - thats about where Cpepps value should be.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Paladyr » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:06 am

Even if it's a good matchup, I don't think it's worth risking putting cpepp in there. His fantasy playoff schedule is also Pitt/baltimore. From what I heard about the Saints game, it's as if they didn't show up. I don't think many other teams are just going to roll over for the vikes.

I use that same philosophy of 3 bad games... and actually posted about that last year or the year before, I can't remember. I went back and looked at previous years and saw that most of the time, if a player had 3 bad fantasy games in a row, they wouldn't turn it around :-p.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:24 pm

well, in one td heavy league I have bulger and plummer. I have the indy defense and cincy defense (defenses scale a bit up in this league)

is it worth offering cincy d for culpepper, just to see? I don't think I have glaring weaknesses, but I ain't winning the championship with plummer.

worth a flyer?
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:08 pm

Id say that would be a pretty good trade for you. You have a strength at DEF and could easily deal CIN, so why not try and get Cpepp for a D you probably picked up off waivers since your top QB was just sidelined by injury? Good Luck.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Football Talk