I think its to the point where drafting is less important... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I think its to the point where drafting is less important...

Moderator: Football Moderators

I think its to the point where drafting is less important...

Postby jblank » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:37 am

and paying attention to who Chris Mortensen says is playing is more important.

I am to the point where next year I am gonna REALLY focus on my first 5 picks, get my 2 solid RB's, QB, and 2 WR's, then after that just build up depth. Anymore, it seems like whoever I draft, they get hurt, and I end up building a team from the WW or Free Agent pool.

All of these coaches keeping things hushed is really hurting fantasy football, it means that you have to watch the pre game shows or you are flat out farked. Did you guys ever think we would come to a time where Chris Mortensen is your fantasy MVP? I know of at least 3 times this season where he has helped me avoid a loss. Sort of wish that the coaches weren't so secretive and deceptive with injuries as they are. I feel sorry today for the Thomas Jones owners that benched him, based off the information that had been reported as late as Sunday morning.
jblank
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I think its to the point where drafting is less important...

Postby The_Dude » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:57 am

jblank wrote:and paying attention to who Chris Mortensen says is playing is more important.

I am to the point where next year I am gonna REALLY focus on my first 5 picks, get my 2 solid RB's, QB, and 2 WR's, then after that just build up depth. Anymore, it seems like whoever I draft, they get hurt, and I end up building a team from the WW or Free Agent pool.

All of these coaches keeping things hushed is really hurting fantasy football, it means that you have to watch the pre game shows or you are flat out farked. Did you guys ever think we would come to a time where Chris Mortensen is your fantasy MVP? I know of at least 3 times this season where he has helped me avoid a loss. Sort of wish that the coaches weren't so secretive and deceptive with injuries as they are. I feel sorry today for the Thomas Jones owners that benched him, based off the information that had been reported as late as Sunday morning.

You just learned the most important lesson in fantasy football. ;-D

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby mushman05 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:32 pm

I couldn't agree more man...I think it's actually the main reason that I prefer fantasy baseball, which over the course of a long and brutal season requires some skill. Fantasy football is 99.9% based on luck and matchups and for as long as I can remember mine have been S*it on bouth counts!!!! :-t
Mushman's 2006 FF conquests:

2006 B&L League Champion
2006 WK Memorial Pts. League Champion
2006 'Burg Keeper League Runner Up

"I'm the Ziggy of Fantasy Football"
mushman05
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The_Dude » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:38 pm

mushman05 wrote:I couldn't agree more man...I think it's actually the main reason that I prefer fantasy baseball, which over the course of a long and brutal season requires some skill. Fantasy football is 99.9% based on luck and matchups and for as lnog as I can remember mine have been S*it!!!! :-t

I don't think that's what he said at all -- and you're certainly not agreeing with me.

What it does say is that getting the #1 draft pick and taking LT2 takes no skill at all. The skill in fantasy football is that you actually have to be a football fan to succeed. Outside of the Dillon garbage this week (Bill Belichick sucks, in a hes-the-bane-of-fantasy-football-owners-existence-everywhere), I watch Countdown every week, and if I have a player that's questionable, I make moves ahead of time to go after his backup or have a bye-week fill in. Its complex enough of a game that you can't just check your team one day a week and update it. This forces you to have a deep team.

Sure, there's luck involved, as with all fantasy sports, but to say that injuries make it so that it is all luck-based is just flatly wrong. You can always improve your probability and chances by being an active owner.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby mushman05 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:46 pm

The_Dude wrote:
mushman05 wrote:I couldn't agree more man...I think it's actually the main reason that I prefer fantasy baseball, which over the course of a long and brutal season requires some skill. Fantasy football is 99.9% based on luck and matchups and for as lnog as I can remember mine have been S*it!!!! :-t

I don't think that's what he said at all -- and you're certainly not agreeing with me.

What it does say is that getting the #1 draft pick and taking LT2 takes no skill at all. The skill in fantasy football is that you actually have to be a football fan to succeed. Outside of the Dillon garbage this week (Bill Belichick sucks, in a hes-the-bane-of-fantasy-football-owners-existence-everywhere), I watch Countdown every week, and if I have a player that's questionable, I make moves ahead of time to go after his backup or have a bye-week fill in. Its complex enough of a game that you can't just check your team one day a week and update it. This forces you to have a deep team.

Sure, there's luck involved, as with all fantasy sports, but to say that injuries make it so that it is all luck-based is just flatly wrong. You can always improve your probability and chances by being an active owner.

I've been and done all of this all season long...I've been decimated by injuries in a number of leagues and despite my depth and some actually decent WW moves for once, that doesn't change the fact that I wasn't LUCKY enough to draw the #1 or #2 picks...As a result in my four leagues I've lost six times (and counting) to LT and Alexander this year.

I hear where you're coming from I'm just not having a fun year man. I'm an 8 year fantasy football vet and I've simply run out of answers...Therefore I'm blaming it all on luck!!!
Mushman's 2006 FF conquests:

2006 B&L League Champion
2006 WK Memorial Pts. League Champion
2006 'Burg Keeper League Runner Up

"I'm the Ziggy of Fantasy Football"
mushman05
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:37 pm

In a way I agree... I know that I have missed out on several good waiver wire pickups because I was hoping my underperforming studs would get their act together.... I mean, I would have LOVED to have dropped Michael Clayton for Joey Galloway at this point, but I missed the boat on that one.... It's almost to the point that it wouldn't be a bad idea to draft nothing but running backs, and then drop the ones who don't get off to a fast start for WR's off the wire....

I'm thinking I might give that a shot next year.... Draft 1 QB and nothing but RB's through the first six rounds... Then pick up a TE in the 7th and sleeper WR's through the mid-rounds... Not even bother with a b/u QB, K, or D, as they can always be had off the wire....

Finish up my draft with something like 1 qb, 3 wrs, 1 TE and 11 RB's....

It's very possible that a strategy like that would have netted something like this this year:

1) Edge
2) Tiki
3) Caddy
4) Westbrook
5) Dunn
6) F. Taylor
7) Carson Palmer
8) Randy McMichael
9) Santana Moss
10) Eddie Kennison
11) TJ Houshmanzadeh
12) Ricky Williams
13) Stephen Davis
14) Mike Anderson
15) Mewelde Moore
16) Willie Parker

Odds are good, though, that you would end up with a few misses like Lee Suggs and Michael Bennett, but those are the guys you would in turn drop for the Joey Galloways and Joe Jurevicious' of the world....

The point is, though, that it seems like there is no good reason to draft WR's, anymore, when even the most highly touted ones bust, and you can ALWAYS snag something off the wire that's better than what you drafted....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BadgerBengal » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:37 pm

I have to say that FF is still very fun to me but it does seem that getting the 1st or 2cd pick is so much of an advantage that it almost makes the draft position the single most important event of the season. One does still have to keep up on matchups and injuries but with the fooling around some coaches do with the injury report it just sucks. I had Dillon and had to decide wheather to play him by the time the first games started because my backups all played in the early game. Everything said Dillon was going to play so I played him instead of C. Brown and then Dillon doesnt play and I was screwed.
Thanks to WickedSmaat for the Grrreat sig
BadgerBengal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Fool42 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:41 pm

I think that H2H scoring is very much luck based but you can certainly do things to sway the odds in your favor. This is why fantasy baseball vets stay far away from H2H and play ROTO or points leagues.
Winning isn't everything...It's the only thing!

Vince Lombardi
Fool42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm

mushman05 wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

I've been and done all of this all season long...I've been decimated by injuries in a number of leagues and despite my depth and some actually decent WW moves for once, that doesn't change the fact that I wasn't LUCKY enough to draw the #1 or #2 picks...As a result in my four leagues I've lost six times (and counting) to LT and Alexander this year.

I hear where you're coming from I'm just not having a fun year man. I'm an 8 year fantasy football vet and I've simply run out of answers...Therefore I'm blaming it all on luck!!!

I feel you... I'm taking a pounding, too...

In my keeper league I started with Kevin Jones and Nate Burleson slated as starters... Then I had the combo of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams eating up some bench spots.... And of course I had Isaac Bruce scheduled to be my number 3 WR....

In my auction league, I spent a good chunk of change on Rudi Johnson and Dom Davis.... Neither of which has been very successful at carrying my team, my QB was Trent Green, and my number 1 WR was Michael Clayton, so I definitely got screwed there... The one bright spot on that team is Antonio Gates..... But he still hasn't led me to a single victory this season....

And in the Cafe League of Champions, I guess I'm just having bad luck... My team isn't all that bad, but Reggie Wayne certainly hasn't done much for me... I also have Rudi at RB in that league, and he hasn't helped me too much... And of course, I have Cadillac Williams riding the pine.... I've got one win in that one, and I'm not expecting good things in the future if my luck keeps folding on me like it has been....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby caneblood » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:38 pm

Yeah draft position is just too valuable for it to be a luck of the draw thing.

I've been saying for a while that my money league should switch to an auction style because it's the only way everyone has an even shot at guys.
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk