I think its to the point where drafting is less important... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I think its to the point where drafting is less important...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DrSpackle » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:54 pm

Ha! I like that idea of taking nothing but RBs. I kinda tried that in one of my leagues this year. I ended up with S. Alexander, C. Dillon, JJ Arrington, Kevan Barlow, Chester Taylor and Marcel Shipp. I didn't draft a TE (took Cooley off WW) and took SeaBass with my last pick. I hit the WW weekly for my starting DEF. Obviously Barlow, Arrington and Shipp are garbage so I guess you could argue I wasted those picks. But the fact is you just don't know who is going to pan out as the season goes on.

The draft is to find two stud players; two players you can count on every week to put up points (T. Holt and Alexander for me). You work the WW and trades to get to the playoffs (picked up Cooley, Galloway and Antwoine Smith). From there, you just roll the dice and hope for the best.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:33 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:It's almost to the point that it wouldn't be a bad idea to draft nothing but running backs, and then drop the ones who don't get off to a fast start for WR's off the wire....

You just summed up the way I've been drafting for three years... and with some success... I have Edge, Jamal, Cmart and Jackson at RB and the WR cadre I ended up with: Steve Smith, Branch, and Housh... and Joe J. and Engram off of waivers...

RB, RB, RB, RB, WR, QB, WR/RB, WR/RB, WR, WR...... The Dude abides...

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby BadgerBengal » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:01 pm

Dude thats good strategy but doesnt anybody else in your league ever try and pick up anyone off the WW? Seems like every good wideout that was on the WW in most leagues you got.
Thanks to WickedSmaat for the Grrreat sig
BadgerBengal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby chchelse » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:32 pm

I don't know if the draft is less important or not. What I do know is if you were lucky enough to draft LT or SA you have a definite advantage this year over everybody else. I also know that drafting at the #8 spot I got neither of those guys. Most telling for me is the fact that out of the original fifteen players I drafted I have only 3 remaining. It's been a real struggle to piece together a team this year (been decimated by injuries e.g. Javon Walker, J Horn, now Moss). If I make the playoffs, it will surely be the best job of managing a team I have ever done. I just keep telling myself that it's good that people who normally don't even sniff the playoffs are doing well. It will keep them interested for next year.................
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kevininvegas » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:50 pm

As long as LT, and Alexander are in their prime, and on good offensive teams a different strategy may be needed. It is so hard two counterbalance these two guys :~( when they are having monster weeks with regularity. If you picked #3 thru 12 in your league you better get some explosive receivers such as Steve Smith or a real steal like galloway, or you are probably getting run over by teams with one of thes two players. Many players including myself who picked later in a 12 team draft went RB, RB What they usually got were a combo of of several midlevel backs, trying to guess which ones had the most upside. Unfortunately some weeks even after solid weeks from both your guys you look at the stat line to find out that LT or Alexander singlehandedly outscored both your backs.
kevininvegas
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Bowie » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:53 pm

High draft position can be an advantage, but it is certainly no guarantee. I am in two 10 team leagues. Going into this week, there was one undefeated team (mine ;-D ) in my first league which drafted 9th out of ten, and two in my other league which drafted 6th and 10th out of ten. Teams with LT2 and Alexander are doing well, but are by no means dominant, especially when those two do not have great games.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Paladyr » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:31 am

In my money league (keeper), one team sold his team for LT, and he already had SA. So now he has both. Needless to say we all think the guy who gave him LT is an idiot.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mushman05 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:10 am

chchelse wrote: If I make the playoffs, it will surely be the best job of managing a team I have ever done. I just keep telling myself that it's good that people who normally don't even sniff the playoffs are doing well. It will keep them interested for next year.................

That's a really good point...The 2 or 3 guys who generally stink are all off to red hot starts and all of a sudden they're in to the trash talk, coming out for the games, etc...I havent really looked at my losing that way but it is good to see some fresh blood out there instead of the same old guys winning each year ;-D
Mushman's 2006 FF conquests:

2006 B&L League Champion
2006 WK Memorial Pts. League Champion
2006 'Burg Keeper League Runner Up

"I'm the Ziggy of Fantasy Football"
mushman05
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:17 am

Paladyr wrote:In my money league (keeper), one team sold his team for LT, and he already had SA. So now he has both. Needless to say we all think the guy who gave him LT is an idiot.
Yow. I can't imagine having to play a team with both SA and LT.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Football Talk