NU still not ranked? Guess their name recoginition is gone. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

NU still not ranked? Guess their name recoginition is gone.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:35 am

Wow, the Texas fans sure are ready to pile on the Huskers now that we're rebuilding the program. I guess when you've had an endless supply of some of the best High School talent for the last four or five decades but still can't come close to sniffing a Championship your shorts get into a bit of a bunch, huh?

Win three out of the next four titles Longhorns Fans, and then you can spout off about the Huskers.

Nebraska’s last National Championship = 1997
Texas’ last National Championship = 1969

PS - Enjoy these last few games of Vince Young's career, guys. You won't find another like him in 20 years. When you make it to the Title game I'll be rooting for you, so you better not choke again!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:07 am

These arguments are just like the ones my Dallas Cowboy friends have brought up for the last few years when I say my Eagles are better. Whenever a "storied" franchise is having a bad year, fans refuse to acknowledge how bad their team is doing because of success they've had in the past. As far as I know, the college polls are weighted pretty heavily on the current year's performance, and the fact that the Huskers recently won a championship shouldn't play into the discussion of this year's polls. Just my two cents; don't hate me.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:10 am

knapplc wrote:PS - Enjoy these last few games of Vince Young's career, guys. You won't find another like him in 20 years. When you make it to the Title game I'll be rooting for you, so you better not choke again!

Agreed totally! ;-D Before Vince Young you heard little from Texas fans. It'll be interesting to see if they can hold serve once he's gone. I put LSU fans in this same boat. LSU has NEVER been a consistent NC threat throught their history (not saying they didnt have some good team), but since Saban took em to the title 2 years ago, LSU fans seem to think that they have one of the greatest programs ever. No humility now that their team is good. Nary a peep when their team wasnt.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:24 am

daullaz wrote:These arguments are just like the ones my Dallas Cowboy friends have brought up for the last few years when I say my Eagles are better. Whenever a "storied" franchise is having a bad year, fans refuse to acknowledge how bad their team is doing because of success they've had in the past. As far as I know, the college polls are weighted pretty heavily on the current year's performance, and the fact that the Huskers recently won a championship shouldn't play into the discussion of this year's polls. Just my two cents; don't hate me.

Very well said, although I'm not making any excuses for the Huskers poor seasons.

In the annals of College Football there are many teams that deserve our respect, whether they are currently "in power" or not. You should never disrespect Notre Dame - they are THE pre-eminent program in college football over the past 100 years or so. Similarly, Oklahoma always deserves the mystique of a champion; even when they were down in the 90's (and boy, were they down!), they were still Oklahoma. Others in this category are USC (although currently back in vogue), UCLA, Alabama, Miami, FSU, Michigan and Ohio State (off the top of my head).

Nebraska is certainly in that company, which is why when people disrespect a traditional power you get threads like this defending them.

Mostly the people bashing these programs are kids who don't know the history of a Michigan or a UCLA. You take their comments with a grain of salt, but it's annoying nonetheless.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:54 am

daullaz wrote:These arguments are just like the ones my Dallas Cowboy friends have brought up for the last few years when I say my Eagles are better. Whenever a "storied" franchise is having a bad year, fans refuse to acknowledge how bad their team is doing because of success they've had in the past. As far as I know, the college polls are weighted pretty heavily on the current year's performance, and the fact that the Huskers recently won a championship shouldn't play into the discussion of this year's polls. Just my two cents; don't hate me.

I totally agree with you! I started this post because I thought NU was being treated unfairly by the pollsters. No NU isnt/wasnt gonna win the NC, but I thought they deservered to be in the bottom of the rankings. The Mizzou game obviously made my arguement moot. When some post stuff like "nobody cares" or "they suck and my team is so great", I sometimes feel compelled to respond to them. I like to have well thought out conversations when I discuss college football. Juvenile type responses that seem to be posted just to try to iritate one fan or another instead of adding anything valuable to the discussion just arent as much fun.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:56 am

knapplc wrote:Wow, the Texas fans sure are ready to pile on the Huskers now that we're rebuilding the program. I guess when you've had an endless supply of some of the best High School talent for the last four or five decades but still can't come close to sniffing a Championship your shorts get into a bit of a bunch, huh?

Uh, read through the thread man. It wasn't like a bunch of Texas just started a thread about how bad Nebraska is. This thread was started by Nebraska fans, complaining about how good they are this year. And now when someone responds to it, they're "piling on the Huskers now that we're a rebuilding program"? Make up your minds.

Logic is as follows:
-We're good this year.
-No you're not.
-Stop piling on we're rebuilding this year.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:42 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Logic is as follows:
-We're good this year. (Based on what?)
-No you're not. (Based on what?)
-Stop piling on we're rebuilding this year. (I cant argue this point.)

Your thoughts may be logical but you provide no substance as to why you feel the way you do. Thats the difference between adding to a discussion versus just spouting off. Do some take things more personally than they should? I would think yes. But I could see where some (Husker fans or otherwise) could take exception to some comments based on how they're worded and/or how they choose to interpret them.
I stay off message boards like espn or sportsline cuz all you read is people cussin and name callin, and rarely discussing anything.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:33 pm

FB your still here?? i thought you didnt care about the Huskers?

knapplc very well put. ;-D
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:04 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:I stay off message boards like espn or sportsline cuz all you read is people cussin and name callin, and rarely discussing anything.

I'll second that - man, I can't stand those boards. Rivals' free boards are almost as bad, but the pay boards usually stay reasonably level-headed.

Anyway - Nebraska has a way to go before they're back up to the level they used to be at. I still don't see why they ran off Solich. Wasn't he averaging 9 wins a season? It will be tough to recreate the Osborne magic, but maybe Callahan (sp?) can turn things around when he has a full roster of players better suited for his style of play.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:19 pm

Gunslinger wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:I stay off message boards like espn or sportsline cuz all you read is people cussin and name callin, and rarely discussing anything.

I'll second that - man, I can't stand those boards. Rivals' free boards are almost as bad, but the pay boards usually stay reasonably level-headed.

Anyway - Nebraska has a way to go before they're back up to the level they used to be at. I still don't see why they ran off Solich. Wasn't he averaging 9 wins a season? It will be tough to recreate the Osborne magic, but maybe Callahan (sp?) can turn things around when he has a full roster of players better suited for his style of play.

I agree. Unfortunately someone like Osborne is a once-in-a-lifetime type coach. The reason why Osborne's teams were so good was due to the discipline that he preached. According to the "experts" Osborne rarely had a big time regarding class. He just knew how to get the most out of his players. It looks like Callahan is the exact opposite. Seems he may put together great recruiting classes, but doesnt teach discipline to the level he should. I prefer Osborne's way, but if Callahan can win conference titles and compete for NCs, then I'll take it.

I'll try to be brief on Solich. AD Pederson is the reason NU is in its current mess. After NU went 7-7, after getting pasted by CU and Miami to end the season before that, Solich made the neccesary changes and put together a wonderful staff. With Dailey running Solich's/Barney Cotton's offense, we'd be in the top10 right now and everyone would be talking about how great of a job Solich did by firing the old guard and bringing in, new, but still Husker blood. There may have been the proverbial "personality clash" between Solich and Pederson when he came in, but ultimately Pederson rode Solich out of down because Pederson felt that Solich didnt have the personality to drum up financial support. Its hard to understand why Pederson, being from Nebraska, would feel this way. In Nebraska, if you win football games, you'll get the financial support, regardless of sound bites. Instead, Pederson runs out a great coach, maybe still rough around the edges as a head coach, but great coach none the less, to bring in a puppet, bull-shit artist, that looks the part, and says all the right things, named Callahan. Simply put, Pederson is a politician who wanted another politician running his program. His actions are not indicative of the "Nebraska way" and therefore Husker fans dont like him. Unfortunately, Callahan will never get a completely fair shake from Husker fans due to the actions of Pederson unless he hangs around for 20 years and achieves success similar to Osborne's.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to College Football