Saints moving to S.A. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Saints moving to S.A.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:36 pm

louddonkey wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
drsteuss wrote:....Everyone knows Benson wants to move the team there, but it'll be a cold day in hell before the NFL lets it happen....

I dunno, when your entire city is destroyed by a natural disaster, including your stadium, it kind of leaves the NFL without many valid objections....

Especially when you see the reaction that the people of San Antonio are having to the Saints...

It looks like it is making more and more sense....

LA is out of the running until they build proper facilities.... No NFL franchise is going to sign on to play in the Colliseum or the Rose Bowl....

Personally, I think it's lousy to give Texas OR California another team....

I say they move the Saints to Birmingham.... It's not too far from where they currently are, and Alabama could use a team.... ;-D

I wonder where Birmingham ranks relative to San Antonio as far as Market Size.

I wouldn't be shocked (I would be disappointed) to see the Saints move, but San Antonio would surprise me. A third team in Texas, in a market not that much bigger than New Orleans, just doesn't make a lot of financial sense. And the NFL is ALL about the Benjamins.

Actually San Antonio is much bigger than New Orleans, easily over twice the size, and im sure Birmingham isnt even on the radar. But I think trying to spread franchises to as many states as possible would be lucrative even if the city itself is a slightly smaller market.

You people have obviously not visited Birmingham or Alabama in general... There is no more football-crazed place on Earth.... Birmingham itself might be a smaller city, but the team would not have to compete with other teams for the fan-base... Take San Antonio, for example.... A good portion of the people there are and always will be Cowboys fans.... And I'd venture a guess that some might even be Houston fans.... Hell, you might even have some Arizona Cardinals fans...

In Birmingham, you've got a whole pool of football crazed individuals with no one to root for... I mean everything is about the Crimson Tide or Auburn, and you can't imagine how crazy that whole state is about one or the other... If a pro team tapped into that market, you would have to consider the enitre state of Alabama as your fan base, and not just the city of Birmingham...

And I challenge you to drive two blocks in Alabama without rolling by at least 10 pieces of paraphrenalia that display either the University of Alabama or Auburn logo on it... These people buy licensed football products like nothing you've ever seen... They're worse than Packers fans...

Speaking of that, the Packers situation is very much like what you would get in Birmingham... Sure it's a smaller city (like Green Bay), but you'd have an entire State's worth of football crazed rednecks as your fan base.... Just like you do in Wisconsin....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Count_Rugen » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:32 pm

Some comments:

Yeah, Alabama could definitely support an NFL team.

N.O. will prolly be able to support a team in 2006 and definitely 2007. As someone else mentioned, the portion of the populace unlikely to move back are the poor. The cash base that throws down the big change at the Saints games will be back soon enough.

Yeah, both CA and TX don't need anymore teams! Saturated markets, hello?

And oh yeah, for god's sake, give Norfolk, VA a darn NFL team already! It's not quite as extreme as Birmingham or Green Bay, but fer god's sake, they'd have no trouble filling a stadium in the Hampton Roads area...
H-dinck:[i]"I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped."[/i]
Count Rugen:[i]"Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything."[/i]
Count_Rugen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby vitalogist » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:35 pm

MrStrange wrote:I dont think its a done deal, but the Saints and the city of S.A. are trying to make it happen:
Mayor wants Saints in San Antonio

i like the quote where he asks for "the cleveland plan," for the cities that hate their owner!

that way, they wouldnt have to watch a brooks any longer, anyway.

seriously, though, that sucks... :-t
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dplymkr88 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:56 pm

Count_Rugen wrote:Some comments:

And oh yeah, for god's sake, give Norfolk, VA a darn NFL team already! It's not quite as extreme as Birmingham or Green Bay, but fer god's sake, they'd have no trouble filling a stadium in the Hampton Roads area...

Amen brother. Probably never happen but it'd be nice.
Still looking for that Eagles trophy case...

Dplymkr88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:03 pm

Count_Rugen wrote:Some comments:

Yeah, Alabama could definitely support an NFL team.

N.O. will prolly be able to support a team in 2006 and definitely 2007. As someone else mentioned, the portion of the populace unlikely to move back are the poor. The cash base that throws down the big change at the Saints games will be back soon enough.

Yeah, both CA and TX don't need anymore teams! Saturated markets, hello?

Being from Richmond, myself, I think you know as well as I that that team would have too much competition for audience from the 'Skins....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:57 pm

I think they should go to San Antonio and get rid of Haslett and hire Dumb Capers from the Texans along w/ Charlie Casserly and treat it as an expansion team. I will do anything to get rid of these two bone heads.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:57 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
louddonkey wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:
drsteuss wrote:....Everyone knows Benson wants to move the team there, but it'll be a cold day in hell before the NFL lets it happen....

I dunno, when your entire city is destroyed by a natural disaster, including your stadium, it kind of leaves the NFL without many valid objections....

Especially when you see the reaction that the people of San Antonio are having to the Saints...

It looks like it is making more and more sense....

LA is out of the running until they build proper facilities.... No NFL franchise is going to sign on to play in the Colliseum or the Rose Bowl....

Personally, I think it's lousy to give Texas OR California another team....

I say they move the Saints to Birmingham.... It's not too far from where they currently are, and Alabama could use a team.... ;-D

I wonder where Birmingham ranks relative to San Antonio as far as Market Size.

I wouldn't be shocked (I would be disappointed) to see the Saints move, but San Antonio would surprise me. A third team in Texas, in a market not that much bigger than New Orleans, just doesn't make a lot of financial sense. And the NFL is ALL about the Benjamins.

Actually San Antonio is much bigger than New Orleans, easily over twice the size, and im sure Birmingham isnt even on the radar. But I think trying to spread franchises to as many states as possible would be lucrative even if the city itself is a slightly smaller market.

You people have obviously not visited Birmingham or Alabama in general... There is no more football-crazed place on Earth.... Birmingham itself might be a smaller city, but the team would not have to compete with other teams for the fan-base... Take San Antonio, for example.... A good portion of the people there are and always will be Cowboys fans.... And I'd venture a guess that some might even be Houston fans.... Hell, you might even have some Arizona Cardinals fans...

In Birmingham, you've got a whole pool of football crazed individuals with no one to root for... I mean everything is about the Crimson Tide or Auburn, and you can't imagine how crazy that whole state is about one or the other... If a pro team tapped into that market, you would have to consider the enitre state of Alabama as your fan base, and not just the city of Birmingham...

And I challenge you to drive two blocks in Alabama without rolling by at least 10 pieces of paraphrenalia that display either the University of Alabama or Auburn logo on it... These people buy licensed football products like nothing you've ever seen...

Unfortunately for Alabama and the NFL, ticket sellers can't accept "yur sistur" as currency.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:17 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:You people have obviously not visited Birmingham or Alabama in general... There is no more football-crazed place on Earth.... Birmingham itself might be a smaller city, but the team would not have to compete with other teams for the fan-base... Take San Antonio, for example.... A good portion of the people there are and always will be Cowboys fans.... And I'd venture a guess that some might even be Houston fans.... Hell, you might even have some Arizona Cardinals fans...

And I challenge you to drive two blocks in Alabama without rolling by at least 10 pieces of paraphrenalia that display either the University of Alabama or Auburn logo on it... These people buy licensed football products like nothing you've ever seen... They're worse than Packers fans...

Speaking of that, the Packers situation is very much like what you would get in Birmingham... Sure it's a smaller city (like Green Bay), but you'd have an entire State's worth of football crazed rednecks as your fan base.... Just like you do in Wisconsin....

From someone who lived a portion of their life in Alabama and whose family still lives there, I couldn't agree more. Alabama is the football capital of the world with the fanaticism over Alabama/Auburn, I think it's absurd that Birmingham doesn't have an NFL team. The city itself has a million plus, but like Plindsey said, you have to consider that basically the entire state would be coming to the games.

If small towns like Tuscaloosa and Auburn can consistently fill up 80,000 seat stadiums on Saturdays, there's no doubt that Birmingham could on Sundays.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:27 am

Kensat30 wrote:Unfortunately for Alabama and the NFL, ticket sellers can't accept "yur sistur" as currency.

More stereotypes, huh?

Well, look at the luxury boxes in Tuscaloosa... They're as state of the art as anything you'll find in any pro-Stadium and they're all sold out permanently.... Alabama home games NEVER fail to sell out, in general... Even when the team stinks... Hell, you can't find a HIGH SCHOOL stadium with seats for a Friday night game.... I'm telling you there is no more football-crazed place on this planet... Any NFL team that moved to an area like Birmingham would immediately sell out their stadium, and all its luxury boxes for the foreseeable future...

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby octagon999 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:44 am

Sounds like Texas, where there's only two sports.

Football and Spring Football.

Maybe they could combine the Texans and the Saints and come up with a single really good team.

(of course, that might be admitting that the NFL has grown too large to maintain quality football)
octagon999
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 8)

Previous

Return to Football Talk