A stupid rule about blocked FGs costs me the game!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

A stupid rule about blocked FGs costs me the game!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

A stupid rule about blocked FGs costs me the game!!

Postby A Flannel Shirt » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:36 am

this is the reply from yahoo

Quote:

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Fantasy Sports.

Blocked kicks are counted only in instances where a kick (FG or punt) is touched by the defense and remains behind the original line of scrimmage.

If a FG is touched by the defense, but goes beyond the line of
scrimmage, it is counted as a missed FG only.

Similarly, if a punt is touched by the defense, but goes beyond the line of scrimmage, the punter is credited with a punt of that yardage.

It is only blocked if the ball doesn't go beyond the los? That is the single most ignorant thing i've ever heard. If the ball wasn't blocked or misdirected, then the FG would be good. So it is blocked, as in misdirected, as in a result of the FG not being good.

Is this a fantasy rule or a NFL rule too?

If I were to get the two pts for the blocked kicked, I would have tied instead of lost.
This is only my opinion, if you play the players I suggest and they do not perform well, please don't yell at me.
A Flannel Shirt
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: A stupid rule about blocked FGs costs me the game!!

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:52 am

A Flannel Shirt wrote:It is only blocked if the ball doesn't go beyond the los? That is the single most ignorant thing i've ever heard.

How is it ignorant? It's an NFL rule. It's only a block if it doesn't pass the line of scrimmage.

I bet if you won and your opponent had this ruling against him, you would be praising this rule. Sounds like sour grapes to me.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Flannel Shirt » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:01 pm

Hardly, it is a dumb rule. If I won that way I'd understand his gripe.

Blocked is blocked. It was blocked as in moved away from not being scored by a means that wasn't a kickers, holders, linemans, or referees fault.

Dumb rule or not, I have to live with it

[sigh]
This is only my opinion, if you play the players I suggest and they do not perform well, please don't yell at me.
A Flannel Shirt
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby servoled » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:00 pm

IF the ball gets past the defense how exactly would it have been blocked? This is a pretty common sense rule if you ask me.
Last edited by servoled on Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
servoled
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: A stupid rule about blocked FGs costs me the game!!

Postby maddog60 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:39 pm

A Flannel Shirt wrote:If the ball wasn't blocked or misdirected, then the FG would be good.

Not quite. That would assume 100% accuracy on the part of the kicker, and that's simply illogical. However, if the defense tips the ball, I agree that would be blocking it.

To use someone elses example, if a CB tips a ball, resulting in an incomplete pass, recorded as a pass defended whether it goes beyond him or stays in front.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby echo8287 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:11 am

NFL rules have changed and this IS a dumb one. Blocked is the defense touchs the ball and it doesn't go thru the uprights. No matter where it goes it doesn't pass thru the uprights. It could still be touched by the defense and go thru the uprights and NOT be blocked.David
David
echo8287
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kilroy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:36 am

A "tipped" Field Goal Attempt that still travels 25 (or 10, or 5) yards and a "blocked" Field Goal Attempt are not the same thing.

Dem's da Breaks.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby CapitalGoofBall » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:43 pm

Are you in my league? That sounds like the kind of pissing and moaning I hear from alot of my players on a daily basis.

i.e. Carolina defense only gave up 6 points. The other 14 points were scored against the offense- becuase the defense wasnt on the field.

This I swear was an actual type of argument that happened in my league a few years ago. In that case it involved what one team thought was a shut out because his defense didnt give up the TD, it was a returned interception. So he thought that he should get the points (10) for a shut out. Of course it involved me (The Comissioner and another owner. The other comissioner step in and said- while the 6 points are in question- the extra point was scored against the special teams (since they (ST) had a channce to block it for 2 points.) so his defense/special teams gave up 1 point and only recieved 5 points. The reult was a tie- and I won the tie breaker (a sudden death match of One player (LT2 for me) Vs One player (Culpepper for him) the following week.)

The next year we removed the points against scoring from the defense/special teams- because it was still a 5-5 vote on when defense is defense and not blamed on the offense.

2 years later and even though I won it is still a sore subject.
The chief enemy of creativity is 'good' taste

Pablo Picasso
CapitalGoofBall
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting