Trading Deadline Tonight? What do we know? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading Deadline Tonight? What do we know?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading Deadline Tonight? What do we know?

Postby FatFoot » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:48 pm

Tonight is the trading deadline, and there are lots of teams with needs, and lots of players who are pretty much without a role on their teams. I am not expecting any huge moves to be made, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything, or expects anything to be done?

Guys like Staley, Ramsey, Volek, Bennett, etc... probably won't be traded, but if any were, it could really make things interesting, for WWs that are currently sludge. Is anyone picking up any of these guys (or any players MORE likely to be traded) as speculation?
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:02 pm

nothing will happen....in my opinion...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:08 pm

Football sucks in this way. No big deals like MLB and stuff. Everyone keeps what they have.
chadlincoln
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:09 pm

Not a huge trade, but the Chargers dealt offensive lineman T.Fonoti to the Vikes for a conditional 6th round pick. Nothing confirmed yet, but they're reporting it on the SD sports channel here!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:13 pm

One of the few disappointing things about the NFL. The nature of contracts, salary cap issues, and injuries make trades rarer than
coherent Lions game plan.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:15 pm

footballchick23 wrote:Not a huge trade, but the Chargers dealt offensive lineman T.Fonoti to the Vikes for a conditional 6th round pick. Nothing confirmed yet, but they're reporting it on the SD sports channel here!

wow - I think thats a relatively big deal personally. Fonoti has a pretty high ceiling doesnt he? I thought he came on strong last yr after being injured or starting slow or something along those lines the first couple yrs. Was he benched in SD for some reason? He was a pretty big name when he was drafted.

Anyway - considering the massive issues the MIN Oline is having, that seems like a really nice deal for the Queens.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:23 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
footballchick23 wrote:Not a huge trade, but the Chargers dealt offensive lineman T.Fonoti to the Vikes for a conditional 6th round pick. Nothing confirmed yet, but they're reporting it on the SD sports channel here!

wow - I think thats a relatively big deal personally. Fonoti has a pretty high ceiling doesnt he? I thought he came on strong last yr after being injured or starting slow or something along those lines the first couple yrs. Was he benched in SD for some reason? He was a pretty big name when he was drafted.

Anyway - considering the massive issues the MIN Oline is having, that seems like a really nice deal for the Queens.

Dielman (sp?) has been in for Fonoti after he broke his hand and he's meshed well so far with the o-line. I really like Fonoti because he's basically a huge brick wall...I think the Chargers are dealing him because he's had some issues with management (i.e. weight, attitude, etc.). He always comes in to training camp about 50-80 lbs. overweight and refuses to work with the SD trainers to lose it. He played with the broken hand for one game and then Marty has sat him since, even though he's okay to go. I'm curious to see who'll the Bolts will end up getting.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Dude » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:37 pm

moochman wrote:One of the few disappointing things about the NFL. The nature of contracts, salary cap issues, and injuries make trades rarer than

Right, it is disappointing, but also a necessary consequence of the primary cause as to why the NFL is the best sport around. The parity that we see in football is a direct result of the contracts and caps. So, I'll take an uneventful trade deadline for the hope that on any given Sunday...

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:11 pm

The_Dude wrote:
moochman wrote:One of the few disappointing things about the NFL. The nature of contracts, salary cap issues, and injuries make trades rarer than

Right, it is disappointing, but also a necessary consequence of the primary cause as to why the NFL is the best sport around. The parity that we see in football is a direct result of the contracts and caps. So, I'll take an uneventful trade deadline for the hope that on any given Sunday...

no.

The NFLs popularity has nothing to do with parity or contract issues. Its popularity stems from the fact that each team only plays 16 games and then only on Sundays - the day most people have off. There are other things involved too - marketing, the sport itself, etc... but make no mistake - the NFLs popularity has nothing to do with its contract situation or salary cap.

This is a tired argument that neither side will budge on - but look up MLB's rating and revenue - they continue to climb, yet they have no salary cap and there is the myth that it has no parity.

One can easily argue that MLB actually has more parity than the NFL - especially when we see dynasties like PHI, NE, IND, and GB.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The_Dude » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:28 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:This is a tired argument that neither side will budge on - but look up MLB's rating and revenue - they continue to climb, yet they have no salary cap and there is the myth that it has no parity.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but suffice it to say, that I respectfully disagree.

Instead, let's focus on the trading that actually is happening!

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Next

Return to Football Talk