Trading Deadline Tonight? What do we know? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading Deadline Tonight? What do we know?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:41 am

Okay, so I am far less familiar with the trading functions in the NFL than in baseball.

Do I understand correctly that from this point out, there is no way that a team like Washington can trade Ramsey or San Diego's Rivers until the off season? Or is there a function for late waiver claims like in baseball, where things can go down until late in the season?

How do dis' work? My team would be in immediate need of a guy like Rivers if he ended up on one of the many NFL teams that are in immediate need of a guy like Rivers.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MiniDitkas » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:42 pm

Football doesn't have big blockbuster trades like MLB and the NBA because football is more of a team sport. Players need to practice together and gel before they become good. Baseball is more of an individual sport (except for the double play). You can plug anyone in and they will be able to produce because their performance is not dependent on someone else.
MiniDitkas
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:49 pm

I understand this, but it doesn't change player values. The Rattay trade proves that it can happen... it's the exception rather than the rule, I understand. But what I'm specifically asking is:

Is it all done now, or are there means by which players will change teams throughout the year, the way they can in baseball due to waivers?

What I'm unfamiliar with is how trades and waivers work in the NFL, not how a team plays together on the field.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:38 pm

FatFoot wrote:I understand this, but it doesn't change player values. The Rattay trade proves that it can happen... it's the exception rather than the rule, I understand. But what I'm specifically asking is:

Is it all done now, or are there means by which players will change teams throughout the year, the way they can in baseball due to waivers?

What I'm unfamiliar with is how trades and waivers work in the NFL, not how a team plays together on the field.

I think this is a really good question and I'd like to know if someone has an answer to this, too. If you can't make trades after this deadline, then what in the world was San Diego doing trading for Feeley? That makes no sense.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gnu314 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:09 pm

The San Diego trade was in before the deadline. I'm almost postive that teams can sign players and bring them up from the practice squad at any time but they absolutely cannot trade after the deadline. For fantasy purposes everyone that is with a team now is with the team for the season.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk