Starving Marvin?!? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Starving Marvin?!?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Wesley Walker » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:41 pm

Were we all watching the same game last night? Peyton looks to e like he's back on track. I think Marvin's and Reggie's numbers will normalize, though I am certain that Stokely will not approach anything remotely similar to last year's numbers.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 pm

I have always though Manning was a chump, I don't have any real reason for disliking him, and the only player that even comes to him for hatred is Alexander (doesn't stop me from owning him and reaping the benefits in a dynasty :-) ) so this opinion has to be taken with a grain of salt as I am somewhat biased.

Announcers (Madden in particular) always harp on how selfless he is (like when he lets Edge get a couple of carries near the goalline) but I think it is possible that not putting up numbers is bothering him more than he is letting on. I'm sure he is thrilled to be winning games, but he is being criticized by some for not putting up numbers against weak defenses (STL and SF in particular), and perhaps that is starting to bother him.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:26 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:Were we all watching the same game last night? Peyton looks to e like he's back on track. I think Marvin's and Reggie's numbers will normalize, though I am certain that Stokely will not approach anything remotely similar to last year's numbers.

Yeah, I'm wondering where all this is coming from. Peyton had another 100+ QB rating outing, 2 TDs, his minimum, but hey they're giving them the run, he'll take it, if they stuff the box, expect him to go off for 300+ yards and 3+ TDs.

Also, if you watched last nights game, I can't imagine you think Manning and Marvin are upset at each other. Of their 86 TD catches, Marvin has kept the first 85, but the first thing he did was give Manning the 86th after catching it. They had Manning miked up, and showed him and Marvin congratulating each other over the TD walking to the sidelines and Peyton saying "Nah, you can have it. ... How about this: we'll split it?"

That doesn't sound like a pair of players frustrated with each other to me.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:37 pm

maddog60 wrote:Also, if you watched last nights game, I can't imagine you think Manning and Marvin are upset at each other. Of their 86 TD catches, Marvin has kept the first 85, but the first thing he did was give Manning the 86th after catching it. They had Manning miked up, and showed him and Marvin congratulating each other over the TD walking to the sidelines and Peyton saying "Nah, you can have it. ... How about this: we'll split it?"

That doesn't sound like a pair of players frustrated with each other to me.

Hmmm...I didn't hear Marvin say a thing...maybe Peyton's Neanderthal voice drowned it out!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:41 pm

footballchick23 wrote:Hmmm...I didn't hear Marvin say a thing...maybe Peyton's Neanderthal voice drowned it out!

Well, Marvin wasn't miked up.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:41 pm

maddog60 wrote:
footballchick23 wrote:Hmmm...I didn't hear Marvin say a thing...maybe Peyton's Neanderthal voice drowned it out!

And he was soooo far away from the mike!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:54 pm

footballchick23 wrote:
maddog60 wrote:

And he was soooo far away from the mike!

He should be if he was running his route right :-D
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kilroy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:20 pm

footballchick23 wrote:Peyton definitely didn't look good throwing the ball last night...he seemed really frustrated after some of their possessions. He hasn't thrown for more than 300 yards this year...looks like they'll be relying on the run!

Kinda off-topic, but is Marvin usually so sullen? He showed no emotion the whole game and I was just wondering if that was just his personality or if something else was going on.....

He's always had a tendency to get a little aggravated if he's not getting (in his opinion) the ball enough. Which makes him pretty much just like every other star WR in the history of football.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:59 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Announcers (Madden in particular) always harp on how selfless he is (like when he lets Edge get a couple of carries near the goalline) but I think it is possible that not putting up numbers is bothering him more than he is letting on.

Marvin Harrison is a borderline psychopath IMO. The guy seems like a non-emotional, selfless, high character WR. Basically the Anti-TO, so the media loves him. They love him so much, that they overlooked a couple incidents earlier in his career when he choked some kids... A kid seeking his autograph at an untimely moment = choke. Ballboy did something that angered Marvin = choke. I didn't believe it at first, but when you see Marvin react to things he doesn't like during the game you can see that fire in his eyes.

Under the surface, you can tell the guy is a major hothead. That selflessness is just an act IMO. Like when he ran up to Manning and gave him the record ball like he was his lapdog, that was an act. What does the media remember though, the touching record breaking moment, or the incident where Marvin chokes a ball boy.

----
From a fantasy perspective I love the guy though. He gets open and makes plays when the ball is thrown his way. The real problem this season, and last season for that matter, is that Manning has too many options to throw to. Manning seems to forgets who made him a star/touchdown machine in the first place. Without Harrison, maybe Manning is just a "good" QB like we're seeing this season, and not a "great" QB like we are all lead to believe.

Fact is, Marvin could have easily had 3 touchdowns last night if Manning was on his game. One pass - Harrison was wide open in the endzone, and Manning throws it in the dirt. I'm talking wide open on a slant pattern, all day to throw the ball, Manning skips the rock while 20 other QBs in the league are connecting to Marvin on the touchdown.

Another time, Marvin beats double coverage down the field, he's wide open and Manning throws long. That's an understandable miss, but when Manning is only throwing the ball to his money man 5, 6 times a game you gotta make those throws.

There have been several instances this season where Manning hasn't looked Harrison's way like in the past and Harrison hasn't given the opportunity to make some catches. This can explain the season long funk that Manning has been in and the success that Edge has been seeing this season around the goalline and in general. Manning is treating Wayne like a #1B WR and defenses recognize this. Harrison isn't drawing the coverage. Wayne isn't making the big plays. Spreading the ball in Indy = bad thing.

I hope Manning shapes up soon, or Harrison might start choking some fans or something.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby ActiOnJunkie76 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:55 pm

I hope manning doesnt shape up and they keep on running the ball!!!!!!!!!!! Go Egde!!!!!!!!!!!
ActiOnJunkie76
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk