McCown or Warner? Who will be the starter in week 7 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McCown or Warner? Who will be the starter in week 7

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:10 pm

Yall just confused the hell outta me with this Mrs. Warner stuff.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:16 pm

The world needs grocery baggers too
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:37 pm

McCown is good for fantasy, but I think Warner gives the Cards a better chance to win. Have you seen how McCown locks onto Boldin/Fitz and ignores all other WRs? Warner was able to get the ball to his #3 and #4 WRs and didn't force it into coverage like McCown does.

At the same time though, Warner's lack of ball security and scrambling ability hurts him when compared to McCown. Behind that O-line, Warner is prone to a lot of sacks and fumbles... although he wasn't fairing too bad early in the season.
--------

Warner (sacks and fumbles) vs. McCown(forced throws, INTs)..

I'd rather take my chance on the O-line improving rather than my QB learning how to find an open WR 3rd down. From what is coming out of Arizona.. Denny may feel the same way. I think Warner gets another chance now that he is healthy, but once he screws it up, McCown is the permanent starter.

Arizona beat SF under McCown, woohoo.. that doesn't ensure him the starting job.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby biju » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:29 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I'd rather take my chance on the O-line improving rather than my QB learning how to find an open WR 3rd down. From what is coming out of Arizona.. Denny may feel the same way. I think Warner gets another chance now that he is healthy, but once he screws it up, McCown is the permanent starter.

Arizona beat SF under McCown, woohoo.. that doesn't ensure him the starting job.

What's the liklihood of the O-line suddenly improving vs. telling a young and fairly inexperienced QB to check down instead of forcing the ball?

And yes, the SF game probably wasn't too tough to manage. But they almost beat Carolina and he had nearly 400 yards passing against them. How many other QBs have mustered that against them?

So you have 3 games Warner lost badly (with the exception of the Rams, but that's because the Rams didn't score, not because of the Arizona offense) and 2 games that McCown played--one they won and the other they barely lost.

McCown in two games has lead the team to 51 points. Warner is three games has lead them to 43 points.

I guess I just don't agree that keeping Warner in gives them a better chance to win.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:43 pm

biju wrote:I guess I just don't agree that keeping Warner in gives them a better chance to win.

Nor do I. Also - at 1-4, is this really a playoff team? If not, wouldnt it be better to develop the future QB rather than play a QB who has no future in the NFL?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby gatorman1122 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:12 pm

biju wrote:
I guess I just don't agree that keeping Warner in gives them a better chance to win.

Nor do I. Also - at 1-4, is this really a playoff team? If not, wouldnt it be better to develop the future QB rather than play a QB who has no future in the NFL?

Denny Green just doesn't like McCown. PERIOD. Just look at last year's QB carousel. Green benched McCown numerous times for several chump change QBs (don't even remember their names....that's how bad they were). Green had multiple opportunities to groom McCown and help him mature into a better QB. I'm pretty sure Green will favor Warner (when healthy) over McCown.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:18 pm

arg. so right now the concensus says it's going to be warner? or at least mccown isn't a lock despite his far superior numebrs?

this is killing mebecuase tenesee's defence has allowed a 115 passer-rating-against this year....
George_Foreman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:49 pm

How can you not like a guy who can get the ball into the endzone. I mean dont get me wrong McClown played two horrible pass defenses in Carolina and San Fran but he gives himself more time than Warner can.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Warhawk » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:48 pm

I think it's up in the air who they will start. Who they should start is obvious though.

As I said, since McCown started getting starts in 2003, he's gone 8-10 as a starter. Alll other QBs have gone 3-16 total in that same time period. 8-10 on a team that is pretty poor otherwise is impressive as far as I'm concerned. Why do they not start this guy?
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:48 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
biju wrote:I guess I just don't agree that keeping Warner in gives them a better chance to win.

The problem I'm having is that in most cases, it's choosing between a veteran that gives you the best chance to be competitive now and a young guy who needs to develop. In this case, though, not only is McCown younger, but he also gives the Cardinals a better chance of winning NOW. I just can't understand why Warner is even in contention to be the starter. This is just ridiculous by Denny Green - not him being Johnny TightLips, but him even thinking he has something to hide. McCown should take 100% of the snaps...'nuff said.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk