McCown or Warner? Who will be the starter in week 7 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

McCown or Warner? Who will be the starter in week 7

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:29 am

biju wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I'd rather take my chance on the O-line improving rather than my QB learning how to find an open WR 3rd down. From what is coming out of Arizona.. Denny may feel the same way. I think Warner gets another chance now that he is healthy, but once he screws it up, McCown is the permanent starter.

Arizona beat SF under McCown, woohoo.. that doesn't ensure him the starting job.


What's the liklihood of the O-line suddenly improving vs. telling a young and fairly inexperienced QB to check down instead of forcing the ball?



Didn't work so great when the Buffalo Bill's dropped Bledsoe for Losman huh? I recall last year Buffalo's O-line was one of the worst in the league early in the season, but the team stuck with Bledsoe and nearly made the playoffs. Fast forward to 2005, Losman already on the bench after a few games.

And yes, the SF game probably wasn't too tough to manage. But they almost beat Carolina and he had nearly 400 yards passing against them. How many other QBs have mustered that against them?

So you have 3 games Warner lost badly (with the exception of the Rams, but that's because the Rams didn't score, not because of the Arizona offense) and 2 games that McCown played--one they won and the other they barely lost.



Ok first off the SF game was an easy victory for any QB. The Niner's had a JV squad out there due to injuries.. They were missing for that game: #1 WR, LT, Best LB, 2nd best LB, #1/#2/#3/#4 CB (Yes FOUR CBs were out). So basically the passing game had no possession WR, our TE has been out for the year, we had no experience at LT, our 2 best linebackers were out, our entire secondary and THEIR BACKUPS were out. You get the picture. My grandma coulda dropped 400/3 on that team.


Against Carolina, McCown racked up the yardage but he only passed for 2 scores. Along with THREE interceptions, including a GAME-LOSING interception he forced into double coverage. Warner hasn't been as impressive on paper, but he did lead Arizona down the field in the last few seconds against the Ram's only to lose due to a false start penalty on one of his linemen. In that drive he was hitting the #1, #2, #3, #4 WRs something that McCown hasn't shown himself capable of doing.

At 1-4, the Cardinal's STILL have a chance in the NFC West. Maybe at 1-7 you start looking to develop players, but this is the NFL and you try to win your games until you're done IMO especially when you're in a weak conference in the NFC. (Exception: if you spent a very high pick: top10, top5 on a guy you better get him in there).
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warhawk » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:50 am

Kensat30 wrote:At 1-4, the Cardinal's STILL have a chance in the NFC West. Maybe at 1-7 you start looking to develop players, but this is the NFL and you try to win your games until you're done IMO especially when you're in a weak conference in the NFC. (Exception: if you spent a very high pick: top10, top5 on a guy you better get him in there).


Fine, so you go with the player who can win the most games for you.

McCown has already shown he is the only one who can win games for Arizona, 8-10 since 2003. Warner has already lost 3 in a row as starter. Explain to me how McCown doesn't give the Cardinals the best chance to win.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1819
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:02 am

Horrible move if Denny "Gary Coleman" Green starts Warner....makes no sense what-so-ever
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2139
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby DrSpackle » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:59 am

Deeny Green comes from that old school football mentality where one of the unwritten rules is that the starter doesn't lose his fon to injury -- even if the backup out-performs him. I think Warner will be starting until the Cardinals are 1-10.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 821
Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: atop Vail riding 3 ft of powder

Postby HighOctane » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:00 am

What sucks is the Cards play at 4;00 and all my other qbs play at 1.....damn you Denny Green
HighOctane
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 212
Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On the couch with the Direct t.v. remote.

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:45 am

Kensat30 wrote:
biju wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I'd rather take my chance on the O-line improving rather than my QB learning how to find an open WR 3rd down. From what is coming out of Arizona.. Denny may feel the same way. I think Warner gets another chance now that he is healthy, but once he screws it up, McCown is the permanent starter.

Arizona beat SF under McCown, woohoo.. that doesn't ensure him the starting job.


What's the liklihood of the O-line suddenly improving vs. telling a young and fairly inexperienced QB to check down instead of forcing the ball?



Didn't work so great when the Buffalo Bill's dropped Bledsoe for Losman huh? I recall last year Buffalo's O-line was one of the worst in the league early in the season, but the team stuck with Bledsoe and nearly made the playoffs. Fast forward to 2005, Losman already on the bench after a few games.


Mccown did more in his first game than Losman has done all year. Meanwhile, Bledsoe has been lighting up secondaries in Dallas.

Comparing Mccown to Losman is unfair, as is comparing Warner Bledsoe.

Mccown >>>> Losman
Bledsoe >>>> Warner

The analogy doesn't fit the present situation at all except for the fact that one guy was old.

Kensat30 wrote:
And yes, the SF game probably wasn't too tough to manage. But they almost beat Carolina and he had nearly 400 yards passing against them. How many other QBs have mustered that against them?

So you have 3 games Warner lost badly (with the exception of the Rams, but that's because the Rams didn't score, not because of the Arizona offense) and 2 games that McCown played--one they won and the other they barely lost.



Ok first off the SF game was an easy victory for any QB. The Niner's had a JV squad out there due to injuries.. They were missing for that game: #1 WR, LT, Best LB, 2nd best LB, #1/#2/#3/#4 CB (Yes FOUR CBs were out). So basically the passing game had no possession WR, our TE has been out for the year, we had no experience at LT, our 2 best linebackers were out, our entire secondary and THEIR BACKUPS were out. You get the picture. My grandma coulda dropped 400/3 on that team.


Against Carolina, McCown racked up the yardage but he only passed for 2 scores. Along with THREE interceptions, including a GAME-LOSING interception he forced into double coverage. Warner hasn't been as impressive on paper, but he did lead Arizona down the field in the last few seconds against the Ram's only to lose due to a false start penalty on one of his linemen. In that drive he was hitting the #1, #2, #3, #4 WRs something that McCown hasn't shown himself capable of doing.

At 1-4, the Cardinal's STILL have a chance in the NFC West. Maybe at 1-7 you start looking to develop players, but this is the NFL and you try to win your games until you're done IMO especially when you're in a weak conference in the NFC. (Exception: if you spent a very high pick: top10, top5 on a guy you better get him in there).


ONLY passed for two scores against Carolina? ONLY 2??!?! Well, if only throwing for 2 TDs in one game isn't any good, what would you call Warner's 1 TD in almost THREE games? Sure, Warner only threw 2 picks in his games, but he also fumbled 3 times, and was sacked NINE times in 2 and a half games against purely bad defenses.

Mccown wins a blowout over a bad team and loses a close one to a good team, meanwhile Warner gets blown out twice and loses another by 5 against three mediocre teams.

Meanwhile, Warner didn't exactly play against many top defenses. The Rams have only allowed less than TWENTY FOUR points one time, and that was against the Warner led Cards who put up a pitiful 12 points.

Yes, the Cards are still alive in the West. But even a still developing Mccown gives the Cards a better chance to win RIGHT NOW than joker Warner does. Again as someone else mentioned, the Cards are 8-10 with Mccown, 4-16 without him. That's pretty clearcut.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby Warhawk » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:44 pm

3-16.

Plus, the Bledsoe/Losman analogy doesn't work, because McCown is the one who's been in AZ for longer than Warner - you would have to compare McCown to Bledsoe, because he's the one who had been with the team and was forced out of the starting position.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1819
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:11 pm

it's going to be mccown.

i had to decide between the sure start of trent green and the maybe start of mccown, and i went with green.

so it'll be mccown, and he'll go for 250 with 2TDs.
George_Foreman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 123
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:51 pm

Well, the smart play would be McCown, so this being the Cardinals (why can't they move to San Antonio or LA? I'm in AZ. No one would care.) I fully expect to see Fumbler under center Sunday.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby warrick95 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:59 am

Warner's overhyped, but is it really his fault that he's overhyped? I mean, you've got to give him credit for going from grocery bagger to Pro Bowl QB (lol, yes, I had to say it one more time and the media is obviously going to be all over that kind of story.

I think it's going to be McCown. You just can't bench the hot hand. Of course, knowing Denny Green, it's possible, but I still doubt it. He's going to have a horribly short leash, though.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1038
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 4:52 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact