Jets round-up - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets round-up

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets round-up

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:52 am

Jet's 6-time pro-bowl center and generally nice guy Kevin Mawae is done for the season. As is, of course, Chad Pennington. The Mawae loss is a further blow to the passing game. But despite Mawae's absence, Vinny Testaverde can get the ball into the hands of his receivers with more reliability than many bonified NFL starters right now.

But this is sure to add to the confusion behind center and in the O-line in general.

It could hurt the running game too.

But here's my thought: C-Mart will be the Jets offense for the rest of the season. It may he harder to run with a replacement center, but it will be more necessary for C-Mart to succeed. And I think he will.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:58 am

i agree on martin. my first instinct after hearing about mawae yesterday was to sell martin quick. considering he had two solid games in a row his value would be pretty high. but i decided i was going to hang onto him. i think he will carry a pretty heavy load for a while and his shedule is fairly promising overall as well. solid number two.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:12 am

I disagree about CMart and I would sell now. The Jets O-line has been getting dominated almost every week except last week and Buffalo run defense was ranked near the bottom of the league.

Jets upcoming schedule:
@Atlanta - 28th Run D
Bye
vs SD - 3rd run D
@CAR - 2nd run D
@DEN - 5th run D
vsNO - 26th run D
@NE - 25th run D
vsOAK - 23rd run D
@MIA - 14th run D
vsNE - 25th run D
vsBUF - 30th run D
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:17 am

i see far more bad D's there than good. 3 top run d's and the rest very promising. i agree he won't be a top guy like last year but he does make a very good #2. cmart had a pretty decent day against tampa and they are one of the best run d's in the league. true it was helped by the two goaline touches but as long he stays involved in the goaline opps i think he can do well.

course if you are looking to sell him now is definetly the time.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby MrStrange » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:21 am

CuMart should have a good game monday @ Atlanta. I mean look at what New Orleans was able to do (and they havent been able to run all year). But it may be hard to sell high, (if you were looking to), with a bye week coming on.
MrStrange
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:26 am

There are some weak run defenses around fantasy playoff time so that is a positive. But watching this team every week the O-line has been a major problem and not getting a good push at all. Plus the Jets have no backup for Martin and he is going to be getting a lot of carries and has the potential to burnout.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:09 pm

Trade Martin before it's too late.

It was impossible to trade him earlier in the season, but perhaps now after back to back solid fantasy games someone will bite on him. The Jet's have been poor running the ball this season, and it is only by attrition that Martin is having any fantasy success at all. Martin benefitted from a couple long runs on Sunday to boost his numbers, but you cannot expect that kind of success going forward. Martin's long run last season when he was the rushing leader was freakin 25 yards. This guy is not a playmaker, he is a chain mover that is simply not moving the chains.

Testaverde doesn't help things and the Jet's schedule is not looking good.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby silverZ » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:34 pm

As a Cmart owner im trying to sell him right now. Losing Pennington for the year hasnt affected his number badly but losing your probowl center HAS to. From the 5-6 quarters of jets games ive watched he hasnt looked like the same runner he was last year. He's lost at least half a step and doesnt seem to be getting that extra yard or two after first contact. He's been durable his entire career but without a capable backup i dont think his body is gonna hold up the rest of the year. I forget how many carries he had last year but it was A LOT, theres no way he stays 100% the rest of the way.

If theres ever a time to sell him now is it. Also that game against NE during the fantasy playoffs might not look so good if Tedy comes back 100%
circa 2005
silverZ
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:00 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Mawae was known for his ability to do pull-blocking and generally prowess in the run-blocking aspect. So if anything, his loss hurts the running game more than the passing game.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:01 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Trade Martin before it's too late.

We've been hearing this argument for how many years now? And Curtis just keeps on producing.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Football Talk