Jets round-up - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets round-up

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:46 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Trade Martin before it's too late.

We've been hearing this argument for how many years now? And Curtis just keeps on producing.

In a redraft league, it doesn't matter what has been said or done in the past. Especially when the Jet's are falling apart around Martin in the present.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:33 am

Kensat30 wrote:
Wesley Walker wrote:

We've been hearing this argument for how many years now? And Curtis just keeps on producing.

In a redraft league, it doesn't matter what has been said or done in the past. Especially when the Jet's are falling apart around Martin in the present.

What's happened in the past does matter if you're trying to predict the future. This isn't the first instance of uncertaintly at quarterback the Jets have experienced since Martin joinded the team. This isn't the first time the O-line has been hurt by injuries since Martin became a Jet. Martin lined up behind Ray Lucas and Rick Mirer at quarterback. Regardless of all this, Martin has always produced.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:55 am

Wesley Walker wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Wesley Walker wrote:

What's happened in the past does matter if you're trying to predict the future. This isn't the first instance of uncertaintly at quarterback the Jets have experienced since Martin joinded the team. This isn't the first time the O-line has been hurt by injuries since Martin became a Jet. Martin lined up behind Ray Lucas and Rick Mirer at quarterback. Regardless of all this, Martin has always produced.

If you want to look at the past as an indicator....

Martin has been steadily declining since 2001. If you ignore the great season he had last year as an outlier (on a playoff team, behind an unexpectedly solid defense, stable QB position, and a stellar O-line...), Martin is a borderline fantasy option at this point.

His ypc average has been terrible thus far because every other carry is stopped in the backfield. The guy is only running for 70 yards on 30 carries! Sure he's on pace for 1,000+ yards like always, but exactly how is that helping you with a statline that looks like 23/62/0 every week? Not to mention, as the season progresses, and the Jet's fall out of the playoff race, will Martin be asked to shoulder the entire load? With the Blaylock injury, I think Martin has been thrust into the workhorse role due to lack of confidence in the teams other RBs. Even last year when Martin tore it up, Lamont Jordan was adding major late game and change of pace production. We're not seeing that this year.

Most telling to me, is that Martin wasn't making any long runs at all in his terrific 2004 season. When you win the rushing title without any long runs, you have to realize the team around him played a big role in that.... All RBs break off a long run from time to time, but Martin didn't have a single one in 2004, yet he still won the rushing title.

This season, the team has lost their QB, their backup QB, their 3rd string QB is on the bench, and FA Vinny freaking Testaverde is leading the offense. Their WR#1 has a gimp foot and can't stretch the field. They lost their RT in the offseason, they just lost the leader of the O-line and best run blocker in Mawae due to injury.. They have a much tougher schedule this year, sorry no NFC West to pad the stats... Anywhere you look I don't see how you can see things falling apart around this team.
----

2001- 243 Fantasy points
2002- 188 FP
2003- 169 FP
2004- 278 FP
2005- on pace for 176 FP
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:43 am

Wesley Walker wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Wesley Walker wrote:

;-D
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:21 pm

Kensat30 wrote:If you ignore the great season he had last year as an outlier (on a playoff team, behind an unexpectedly solid defense, stable QB position, and a stellar O-line...)...

No, I won't ignore it. The fact that it was a playoff team was, in large part, due to him. If we throw out the high-end outlier, then we must throw out the low too. But then you're point isn't as valid.

Kensat30 wrote:Sure he's on pace for 1,000+ yards like always, but exactly how is that helping you with a statline that looks like 23/62/0 every week?

He's averaging .5 TDs per game, not zero. It's infinitely different.

And how exactly do you define a long run? Sure, his longest of '04 was 25 yards, but he had at least a half-dozen of 20 yards or more, and only twice last year did he go a whole game without busting a run for 10 or more yards.

And that's to say nothing about this idea that a back who is consistent, but may not break off a 60-yard run now and again, isn't succeeding on his own merit but, rather, on that of his team at large. I don't buy that argument either.

Because so many people seem to hesitate when it comes to C-Mart, because he never gets the respect he deserves, then I doubt you'll get for him what he's worth in a trade. My initial point was simpy to object to your advice: "Trade him while you still can." I'm saying his value will stay more or less constant throughout the season, despite the team's struggles. And I feel history tells us that C-Mart is consistent without much regard to his team's success. He's no LaDanian or Shaun -- but what would you give me for him in a trade? Whoever you answer with, I suspect that to me it wouldn't be worth it.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby logan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:25 pm

2005- on pace for 176 FP

and if that's where he finishes that would put him in the top 15 at the RB position using last years point totals.above guys such as duece,jamal, bettis,tjones,taylor,k jones,c brown etc and in the saem area as dunn and green. i don't think anyone here is saying he is a top back but as i stated a solid number two option.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Previous

Return to Football Talk