Bulger Trade Pulled- Right Thing To Do - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bulger Trade Pulled- Right Thing To Do

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bulger Trade Pulled- Right Thing To Do

Postby Gang Green » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:55 am

Over this past weekend, one team in my league traded Leftwich and Portis for Bulger and Antwain Smith. The trade was processed Monday morning. After Bulger got injured, the team that acquired Bulger wanted the trade squashed. The commissioner decided to null and void the trade and the other team owner obviously is upset. The commissioner wasn't exactly 100% on what to do and was putting out feelers as to what he should do. Our league is split 50/50 on this issue. What do you think should be done?
Gang Green
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:58 am

I don't like to do trades while games are being played. I think trades should be done from Tuesday Morning through Sunday at Noon.

However, I don't think the trade should be squashed. The trade was before the injury.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LooseCannon » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:01 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:I don't like to do trades while games are being played. I think trades should be done from Tuesday Morning through Sunday at Noon.

However, I don't think the trade should be squashed. The trade was before the injury.

That's what causing the raucous... yeah I think the trade should be "squashed"
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
LooseCannon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:01 am

I'd say unless (a) there was a decision made on how pending trades would be dealt with if one of the involved players got unjured after it was accepted but before it was finalized, or unless (b) trades are vetoed based on league votes and the league menbers decide to veto on that basis, then it should stand. Injuries are part of the game and EVERY NFL player is sunbject to injury EVERY instant they're on the field.

That said, Bulger might not even miss Week 7. Or he could go the way of the Chad and be out for the season. Who knows?

I'd hesitate to veto the trade as a commissioner (were it a league were the commish alone decided which trades to veto, which is a sketchy system if you ask me -- particuarly if the commish owns a team too, which is almost always the case) based on an injury, unless I stated before the draft that I would always veto such a trade involving a newly injured player.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moonhead » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:05 am

LooseCannon wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:I don't like to do trades while games are being played. I think trades should be done from Tuesday Morning through Sunday at Noon.

The fact that the trade was accepted before the injury is causing the raucous? I think that should silence any dissenters. I don't know how you could squash this. Caveat Emptor.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:05 am

LooseCannon wrote:

Does it really matter that the trade was a day before the injury?

A day, a week, a month....it doesn't matter to me. It sucks for the guy who's getting Bulger, but it was a done deal.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:11 am

i'd have to agree with the fact it should go through. there is a risk involved in any trade with any player at any time. this is why i normally wait till all games are done to make sure the player i'm getting or giving is not injured.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby garamond » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:11 am

No way you quash the trade. It was made fair and square and if the trade were done four days earlier, you wouldn't think twice about leaving it be
QB - Hasselbeck
RB - S. Jackson, Addai
WR - T. Holt, S. Smith, DeSean Jackson
TE - Carlson
BN - D. Driver, R. White, C. Perry, Deuce
garamond
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby footballchick23 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:27 am

The trade should stand...if it was approved before the injury, end of story. Too bad for the guy that got Bulger, but it's not like he's out the rest of the season!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Gang Green » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:28 am

Just to clarify. Our league votes on a trade, with the commissioner having to power to veto or override a decision. I stand corrected. This trade was never processed/approved Monday morning. It had been agreed upon by the two teams Sunday afternoon. The commissioner informed us to get back to him if we had any problems with the trade. He normally gives us a few days to give feedback. Then, the next day, Bulger gets hurt. I don't know if this changes anyones opinion but I'd figured I'd try and clear up the situation.
Gang Green
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk