1. Fire Mariucci and the entire coaching staff on down: OffCO, DefCO, everyone - gone. Hire disciplinarian coaching staff.
2. Go after Kitna, Holcomb, Brad Johnson, Schaub, Volek, Weinke, or any other somewhat veteran QB who has been in the league a few years to manage the offense. We dont need a playmaker as much as we need a QB who manages the game an provides some leadership. We also dont need to spend a lot of money bringing in a big name. Obviously cut Joey and the ridiculous contract of his. The savings will help land a couple big name FAs.
3. Sign the best DE on the market.
4. Sign the best LT on the market - drop Backus in the process (although he could be a FA after this season anyway).
5. Other areas of concern to address either through FA or draft: MLB, possible OLine upgrades (C, RT, LG), CB, QB development, DT depth, DE depth (still need to get best veteran DE on market - the draft would be for depth - not to find a starter).
6. Get cheerleaders
As for shutdown CBs - these guys are the rarest and most sought after players in the NFL. Unless you have a top 10 pick in the draft, your team will have no chance of drafting one (as seen this past yr). The other ways to aquire a shutdown CB is to trade (Portis for Bailey comes to mind), or sign one via FA for massive money (no true shutdown CBs were available through FA this offseason unless you consider an aging and injured Law to still be a shutdown CB). Of course if one is available to the Lions with their high first rd draft pick, then Id say go after one - just like they wanted to do this yr.