Morton for Bruce? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Morton for Bruce?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Morton for Bruce?

Postby TheFanatic » Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:31 pm

Last weekend after a few beers with the other owners in the Dynasty League I'm in, I traded Isaac Bruce and Anthony Becht for Johnny Morton and Tony Richardson. I already have Priest Holmes, so Richardson was a nice little insurance policy. My TE is Chamberlain, so the loss of Becht is no big deal. The crux of the deal is Morton for Bruce. Morton's intangeable in the deal is that he is in the first year of 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd, and Bruce was going to walk since Ahman Green is going to get my Franchise Tag and Jimmy Smith my Transition tag as my team stands today. Did I get a good deal? Will Bruce outperform Morton. I'm hoping that Al Saunders and Dick Vermeil will institute Air Martz West in KC. What does everyone think?
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:24 pm

Interesting deal... Very interesting, in fact, since the value of both players you're getting hinges on Priest Holmes.

I agree that getting Richardson as a backup is a good move, but Morton is the crux of this deal. Obviously, his contract status is excellent, but whether KC will be the second-greatest show on turf any time soon remains to be seen. My feeling is that Holmes is the key here, even more than Green or Morton himself; if he (and the offensive line, of course) remains productive, the Chiefs will have quite a bit of room to be creative with their receivers. As far as production this year is concerned, I like Bruce a bit more than Morton this season, mainly because I feel the Chiefs will need a bit of time to put all the pieces together. In sum, I'd call this a pretty fair deal (although cwebb is the real expert on trades made after a few beers...). With a bit of patience, this could pay off nicely.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheFanatic » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:25 pm

The biggest thing is that I wouldn't be able to keep Bruce in the off-season. I won't be a big player in free agency. I won't have much cash.

I really need another WR to step up for me. My other WR's include the afore mentioned Jimmy Smith, Westbrook (I had to eat him in the Holmes trade), Lavereneus Coles, McCardell, and Pinkston. WR is definitely my week link with McNabb at QB and Ahman Green and Father Holmes as my 1, 2 punch with James Stewart waiting to spell those 2 during bye weeks. All I really need is decent #'s from my WR's to get to the playoffs. If one Westbrook, Morton or Coles can catch fire and Jimmy Smith stays consistent I will compete for heartily for the title. But if one of them catches fire I will probably lose him to Free Agency since Morton, McCardell and Pinkston are my only players that I have under contract for next year.....
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:33 pm

Sounds like you'll have your work cut out for you after this season. But that's part of the fun...

I really think highly of Coles; wide receivers are tough to gauge, but he certainly has the talent to be a force in the league. Let's hope the opportunities are there aw well.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheFanatic » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:05 pm

I truly believe that Coles could actually crack the top 10. Top 15 is more realistic, but I like his upside a great deal. Between Coles (who we jokingly referred to as Touch Down Laverneus last year), Westbrook and Morton, I will have a solid #2 and #3 WR behind Jimmy Smith. Which 2 it will be is still a mystery, but I'm willing to go into the season with them as my squad.

I have the 5th pick in the draft next month. What do you think of Robert Ferguson in GB? With 10 teams each with 20 players, the draft is very thin. Is he worth it? I can't get any of the rookie RB's at 5, and I think Glenn will flake and Ferguson will wind up the #1 in GB by default.....
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:25 pm

Who else is available? Ferguson really seems to have changed his attitude, and I think he'll be rewarded for it. Glenn, as always, is an enigma who could spend the season pouting or come roaring out of the gate with a huge chip on his shoulder...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheFanatic » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:53 pm

There are a total of 61 WR's on our 10 team rosters, so pickins are really slim....All the rookies are available, but selecting a rookie that produces before his maximum of a 3 year contract is up is difficult (we can only do a 1 or 2 year contract plus one option year). And besides Moss, Glenn and Chris Chambers, I can't remember a WR that tore it up in his rookie season. Holt, Harrison, and Boston all sucked their rookie seasons......I could take Corey Bradford or Brandon Stokley, but both of those teams are likely to really suck this year....Even if Glenn tears it up, Ferguson will see a lot of one-on-one coverage and put up decent points if he is the #2 man in GB....

Here's another Q....Is Brad Johnson going to start in Tampa? If he isn't then I need to do something at QB. He's backing up McNabb...
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:14 pm

At the moment, it looks like Brad johnson will be the starter, but both King and Rob Johnson might get the call if they impress the coaching staff enough. Watch this one very closely, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Brad didn't wind up as the #1.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheFanatic » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:11 am

The way I feel about ROB Johnson is, if I have to put him on my team, could someone kick the shit out of me? I hate that guy......
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:12 pm

I actually feel sorry for Johnson - he's one of the hardest-working guys in the league, and the only break he can get is in his collarbone...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk