Morton for Bruce? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Morton for Bruce?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheFanatic » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:19 pm

He's a chump. He'd rather take a sack and hurt the team than throw the ball away and hurt his passer rating. That guy is not a leader and he doesn't play with pain. Gruden won't stand for that crap. I got BRAD Johnson at the league minumum ($500K), so I'm hoping that he can win the job and free up a roster spot for me to grab someone else.....
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:42 pm

Anything except Brad Johnson at the helm would be a huge surprise, but it's still worth watching. At the minimum salary, he's a terrific investment..

As for Rob J., I don't think I'd accuse him of not playing through pain, but until he figures out what the pocket is for, he'll be the third stringer.

What's your league's salary cap?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheFanatic » Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:10 pm

The Cap is $32 mil. We started the league 2 years ago and based salaries on multiplying however many points a player had the year before by $10K (1 point for 20yds passing, 10 yds rec, 10 yds rush, 3 pts for passing TD's, 6 for rush/rec TD.) So a player that scored 200 points had a base salary of $2 million the first season. Salaries have gone up from there because we have open bidding on players that are not under contract after the season ends. Before last season Garner was signed for $6 mill a year!!!! Did I mention we did our Free Agent Night in Feb, so no one knew that he would be dumped by SF? We moved FA Night back to March this year and my dumb ass signed Buckhalter to a $2 million dollar a year contract. We are going to move it into May next year. We have our rookie and left over player draft at the end of July. We have to have 20 players and 2 D/ST. The only stipulation is that we have at least 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 2TE and 2 K. How many more we want at each position is up to each owner. One guy has 11 WR's on his team.

We have a standard starting squad each week with a Home Field Advantage rule. Whichever team has Home-Field can pair one player with another player at that position. It helps if you have Fred Taylor and Stacy Mack. If you are the home team you pair them. Whichever one gets the most points, you get that players' stats figured into your score for the week. It sucks if you have 3 RB's and you pair the 2 that bust off 20+ point weeks and leave the guy who gets 6 points on his own. Instead of close to 50 from the RB's you only get 28....
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:15 pm

Sounds terrific. That home advantage rule is pretty unusual, and sounds like a very solid addition. Is any position, such as qb or defense) eligible for this?

$6M for Garner... ouch!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheFanatic » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:00 pm

You can use any position, but the players being paired have to be from the same position. It would be nice to pair my TE with my backup QB, but they don't allow it. It works well in injury situations. I used it a lot last year with Jimmy Smith ant Keenan McCardell. From game to game those guys tend to star while the other one sucks. Pairing them guarantees to get the peak performer. The format of the league keeps us all into Football year round. We have no off season. When Buckhalter went down I had 2 different people inform me of the event before the end of the day. 8 of the 10 owners are extremely serious. The other 2 aren't so much, but still hold their own (one made the SuperBowl last year but lost and the other made a killing in Free Agency this year and will definitely contend for the playoffs).

And last year, well before the season (it was Feb remember) Chris Carter went for $4 mill a year for one season and Antonio Freeman went for 3.9 mill a year for 2 years.

This year spending was much more focused on proven guys that were closer to their prime like George, Moss and McNabb. Priest Holmes, Buckhalter and Hearst were signed to big deals too, but the jury is still out on whether or not they will be worth it (except on Buckhalter, I got screwed on that one)....
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:51 am

Interesting... I'd certainly be more willing to spend big money on Holmes than on Hearst...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheFanatic » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:15 am

Hearst was my Transitioned RB. The highest bid was $2 mill a year plus a $500K signing bonus. The signing bonus comes right out of the salary cap that year, so it would have dropped my cap to $31.5 mill. I had to let him go because my Franchised player, McNabb had a huge signing bonus tacked on to the bid as well. The good thing about Franchise players is that if the team matches then the team gets a 10% discount.

Holmes was a franchise player as well. He had a huge signing bonus tacked on to the contract offer. When I got him in the deal, all I have is the salary of $2.3 million. The signing bonus is still eating into his last teams cap. It was well worth it because Stephen Davis' salary was well over $3 million (he had been traded after a not-trade clause was placed on him which saves the owner 10% on his salary, but when he got traded 50% of the value of his contract is added onto the current contract.) Eddie George was traded twice after having a NTC placed on him and his contract was close to $5 mill last year.

Complicated enough?
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby cpgecko » Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:51 pm

you might want to think about taking ashley lelie in that five slot...i know ferguson is lined up in green bay, but that is a huge risk. lelie is stepping into a solid team with nice running mates, one of whom is recovering from injury so that lelie should get some balls thrown his way without drawing massive coverage.
cpgecko
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TheFanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:26 pm

No offense, but I don't think any of the rookie WR's are going to have much of an impact this year, particularly Lelie...He is having a hard time learning to block....Playing in full pads in the NFL is going to be a rude awakening....

Actually, I am thinking of trading the 5. With Westbrook signing in Cinci (and they have a cake schedule), I feel that Westbrook, Morton, McCardell or Coles can become a viable #2 on my squad. Someone offered me the #15, #17 and #18 for the #5 and the #25. I have the #14, so that gives me 4 picks in the second round to pick up a 2nd TE, 2nd K, 2nd D/ST, and maybe a backup to one of my players (possibly Rob Johnson to back up Brad) or take a shot on a Brian Westbrook falling to 14 and taking him (I have Buckhalter and Levens).....

I basically need a bunch of filler on my squad, not any serious contributors. Therefore, getting some value out of the 5 makes a lot of sense to me....
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheFanatic » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:27 pm

No offense, but I don't think any of the rookie WR's are going to have much of an impact this year, particularly Lelie...He is having a hard time learning to block....Playing in full pads in the NFL is going to be a rude awakening....

Actually, I am thinking of trading the 5. With Westbrook signing in Cinci (and they have a cake schedule), I feel that Westbrook, Morton, McCardell or Coles can become a viable #2 on my squad. Someone offered me the #15, #17 and #18 for the #5 and the #25. I have the #14, so that gives me 4 picks in the second round to pick up a 2nd TE, 2nd K, 2nd D/ST, and maybe a backup to one of my players (possibly Rob Johnson to back up Brad) or take a shot on a Brian Westbrook falling to 14 and taking him (I have Buckhalter and Levens).....

I basically need a bunch of filler on my squad, not any serious contributors. Therefore, getting some value out of the 5 makes a lot of sense to me....
TheFanatic
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk