Tanking a Game? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tanking a Game?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tanking a Game?

Postby BigMusky » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Team 1 is 1-5 and playing his wife's team that is 4-2 and tied in a four way tie for first record wise. She is last in the tie breaker of overall points by quite a bit. This week he is starting Kerry Collins over Brett Favre. Do you see this as tanking?
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ampant » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:40 pm

That's tough. MIN has the 8th ranked pass D, but BUF has the 1st ranked pass D, and Collins is without Moss.

Favre has a record of doing poorly indoors, though, and playing MIN at home is definitely a factor, so . . . .

It might be tanking, cause I would definitely not start Collins over Favre, but it's tough to say so definitively. And it's not like the rest of the league can veto his lineup. So what would you really do about it? If it's a money league, I would def not allow husbands and wives to play. It's probably only natural that you would want to help your spouse, etc.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ampant » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:41 pm

You might want to ask him why he is starting Collins, and mabye even say that you hope he's not tanking is team.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:53 pm

Does he have Porter? Maybe he is looking to get double the pts. But the Minn-GB game is going to be high scoring (according to their history). A bit suspicious, but u cant do much.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:40 pm

Hell No. Both are viable options. I may be tempted to start Collins too as Favre has had some nightmare games in a dome. I dont see it as tanking at all. Now if he was starting someone like Alex Smith over Favre or Collins I could see it.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby warrick95 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:11 am

No, I really don't. There'd have to be some hardcore evidence to show that someone's tanking (such as benching most of the roster, or benching a stud such as LT...but for the latter, there could be reasoning for that. perhaps he just thinks LT is just gonna have a worse day than whoever he's starting...and since fantasy sports are based on knowledge, if his knowledge sucks, it sucks) and Collins vs. Favre isn't that far off. In fact, Kerry was taken higher in many drafts this year and be stubborn on starting his "#1 QB."
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby FatFoot » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:52 am

Is he doing anything else questionable in his lineup? Because that's really a stretch...
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby pangbones » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:58 am

I don't see how that is tanking. I could make an arguement for either QB, and a lot of times when a game is supposed to "high scoring", it turns out to be low scoring. Now if he was benching Favre for lets say K Orton, then you may have something. But even then, you can't do anything about it. Vetoing trades is one thing, but you can't mess with the guys lineup, unless he is tanking and what you decribed isn't IMO.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:44 am

I would not call starting one player over another tanking in any way. If you obviously started like 4-5 losers over good players or just left some of your positions blank, then you have a case.

I would just assume they think Collins has a better chance of doing well...or they could be scared about the Favre Dome Jinx. :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GMoney » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:39 am

gotta agree with the other guys here. Starting a guy like Kerry Collins can never be called 'tanking' IMO.

Plus it is more than possible that at the time of this post he still had last weeks roster in (GB had a bye last week). It is more than possible that he hasnt had a chance to change the roster yet.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk