Game -time decisions are a major pain - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Game -time decisions are a major pain

Moderator: Football Moderators

Game -time decisions are a major pain

Postby SeaWolf » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:13 pm

This was in the local paper on Friday.

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/05/10/ ... all001.cfm

There are three words that will make a fantasy football owner cringe. No, they aren't "Touchdown, Robert Royal."

They're "game-time decision."

Actually, the hyphen might just make it two words.

Regardless, those words suck, and they'll turn your Saturday night into a tossing and turning spectacle that'll make you see big fat "zeroes" in the points column for your star running back or wide receiver.

These days, it seems like there are more and more game-time decisions going on, and too many are involving some pretty significant players.

Last week alone, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, running backs Corey Dillon and Thomas Jones, and wide receivers Torry Holt and Hines Ward were all game-time decisions heading into their weekend contests.

Roethlisberger didn't play, although many fantasy owners held out hope because he'd returned to practice late in the week.

Dillon didn't play, but Jones did and turned in 89 rushing yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Holt played and did alright (six catches for 70 yards, but no scores), but Ward did not play.

So, what's a fantasy owner to do?

The answer depends on your commitment and your league's lineup deadlines. Some leagues allow you to switch out starters until their game kicks off, while others require a complete lineup before the first game of the weekend has begun.

If you need to have your lineup in before all games have started, it's generally best to play it safe.

It stands to reason that most players won't reach their potential if they're pushing to get back from an injury, anyway. Although Rams running back Marshall Faulk a few years ago made a habit of returning early from injuries only to rush for four touchdowns.

Even if you have the luxury of being able to switch up until kickoff, submit an early lineup with the safer play - the backup.

Then scour the news like a bloodhound.

NFL.com, espn.com, yahoo.com, cbssportsline.com, foxsports.com will all give you the scoop, up to a point. But they'll generally make you pay for the "real" scoop.

But if you aren't willing to pay for one of these Web site that simply pull together headlines from around the nation, you can find up-to-the-minute updates if you know where to look.

The NFL is the biggest game in town and there are probably more reporters covering it than any sport, so there's no shortage of information.

The first place to go is Google News (news.google.com), which is a simple news database that grabs headlines from news outlets all over the world.

Sure, they pull together information about what's going on in the world and stuff like that, but who wants to know about that?

It's a great place to get the latest on your fantasy players.

Simply search your player's name in quotes and, if you know it, entering the injury will help pull

up more specific stories (i.e. "Torry Holt" knee). Make sure you choose to sort the results by date to get the most recent ones first.

On game day, local newspapers and the Associated Press usually will run a short update on a player whose availability was questionable.

Also, watching the Sunday morning pregame shows is a good place for updates from on-field reporters at the game moments before kickoff, as long as you can still get to your lineup in time to make necessary adjustments.

Remember, Fox has reporters at NFC games and CBS has them at AFC games. The network that handles games from the visiting team's conference covers interconference games. (If the visiting team is from the NFC, Fox will cover it. If the visitor is from the AFC, it'll be covered by CBS.)

You won't be able to prevent every misstep in trying to predict injuries, but being well-informed could save you some frustration and leave with a big grin after making the right move.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:32 pm

Fantasy football analysis was in the local paper?
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SeaWolf » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:34 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Fantasy football analysis was in the local paper?

Yep. Every Friday one of the writers does a little piece on Fantasy Footaball. Most of it is for newbies. Some of it is quite interesting.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby warrick95 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:07 am

Pretty interesting topic and relaxing read, but it's sort of funny that he omits the best two places to check for updates on the internet (on TV, ESPN's pregame show is good with Mort's reports): The Fantasy Football Cafe and Rotoworld.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:48 am

Very nice article; I think it's great that your local paper has a fantasy column. ;-D

Yeah, if you're an informed owner or really care about your team, it's best to check here (of course ;-)), any Mort Report on ESPN.com, and http://www.sundaynohuddle.com for the latest updates on "game-time decisions." :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aussieboy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:59 am

You think you hate Game time decisions?

Spare a thought for guys like me who don't live in the USA. GTD's usually mean I have to stay up to 2:30am or wake up at 4:30am so I can make sure my roster is sorted out.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GMoney » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:30 am

for the rest of us out here in Aussie Land we just put our rosters in on Friday noght and hope to god they all play.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:50 am

aussieboy wrote:You think you hate Game time decisions?

Spare a thought for guys like me who don't live in the USA. GTD's usually mean I have to stay up to 2:30am or wake up at 4:30am so I can make sure my roster is sorted out.

You know what aussieboy and GMoney - my sympathy for your NFL time situation is greatly diminished by my envy for your weather and lower taxes... I'll trade you in a second...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby aussieboy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:13 am

lmcjaho wrote:
aussieboy wrote:You think you hate Game time decisions?

You know what aussieboy and GMoney - my sympathy for your NFL time situation is greatly diminished by my envy for your weather and lower taxes... I'll trade you in a second...

I'll accept that trade.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GMoney » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:26 am

lower taxes?

Must have the wrong country... Australia has the 3rd highest tax rate in the world behind switzerland and sweden i do believe.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk