When the BCS comes out..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

When the BCS comes out.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

When the BCS comes out.....

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:53 am

When the new BCS poll comes out today, I sure hope to see Alabama ranked at 4 and Georgia at 5.... How can Georgia be ranked above Alabama in all those other polls? I mean Georgia has beaten ONE quality opponent (Tennessee) so far this year... Alabama has also beaten that same opponent, AND they knocked of Florida when Florida was ranked 5th in the country.... They have both beaten South Carolina and Arkansas, and Alabama had more convincing wins over both schools....

Assuming Georgia is ranked above Alabama this week, I sure hope they either blow out Florida like Alabama did, or they get leap frogged next week, cause there is no way Georgia should be ranked higher than the Crimson Tide....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:53 am

this is why I actually wish computers did everything. Poll people dont drop a team unless they lose which is why Auburn got screwed last year. Let computers do it all and not have polls put any signfigance in and you will see who the real best teams are
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:55 am

I see your point, but either way, it's not really a big deal becaue even if both were to win out they would play each other in the SEC championship game. So if both go undefeated one of them won't end up getting screwed.

Regardless, both teams are missing their best player and haven't been anywhere near the same without them. I don't think that either of these teams holds up undefeated heading into bowl week.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:50 am

I agree with both replies. I like the fact that the computers are able to dissect, who played who, and how their oppenents did, etc. etc. I cant believe Tennesse at 3-3 is still ranked even with little offense to speak of. I do think that Bama will eventually lose due to their offense since Porthro went down. If Georgia can still win without Shockley then they deserve every bit of the ranking and perhaps should be higher (at least 4th). So right now even if Bama is ranked ahead of Georgia, they may not stay there. Also, who has Bama beat other than Tennessee? Florida (overrated), Ole Miss? I think both teams can only claim wins over a 3-3, offensively challenged UT team as their signature wins.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:41 pm

computers get it right again Texas is #1 like they should be to bad Va Tech isnt #2 like they should be :-°
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: When the BCS comes out.....

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:20 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:When the new BCS poll comes out today, I sure hope to see Alabama ranked at 4 and Georgia at 5.... How can Georgia be ranked above Alabama in all those other polls? I mean Georgia has beaten ONE quality opponent (Tennessee) so far this year... Alabama has also beaten that same opponent, AND they knocked of Florida when Florida was ranked 5th in the country.... They have both beaten South Carolina and Arkansas, and Alabama had more convincing wins over both schools....

Assuming Georgia is ranked above Alabama this week, I sure hope they either blow out Florida like Alabama did, or they get leap frogged next week, cause there is no way Georgia should be ranked higher than the Crimson Tide....

I agree with you 100%, but the computers don't. Georgia is still at #4. But, as Free Bagel said, the teams will probably play each other in the SEC championship anyway. And, it could be resolved much sooner than that with the Dawgs facing Florida this weekend without Shockley.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: When the BCS comes out.....

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:20 am

VHawk15 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:When the new BCS poll comes out today, I sure hope to see Alabama ranked at 4 and Georgia at 5.... How can Georgia be ranked above Alabama in all those other polls? I mean Georgia has beaten ONE quality opponent (Tennessee) so far this year... Alabama has also beaten that same opponent, AND they knocked of Florida when Florida was ranked 5th in the country.... They have both beaten South Carolina and Arkansas, and Alabama had more convincing wins over both schools....

I agree with you 100%, but the computers don't. Georgia is still at #4. But, as Free Bagel said, the teams will probably play each other in the SEC championship anyway. And, it could be resolved much sooner than that with the Dawgs facing Florida this weekend without Shockley.

Actually the computers have Alabama at number 4, as well... It's when you factor the USA Today and AP polls into the equation that they drop to number 5....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:57 am

Crimedogg32 wrote:this is why I actually wish computers did everything. Poll people dont drop a team unless they lose which is why Auburn got screwed last year. Let computers do it all and not have polls put any signfigance in and you will see who the real best teams are

Amen! Opinion polls are a joke, and have traditionally showed a regional bias.

Also, considering the fact that there are 40-50 games each weekend, there's NO WAY pollsters or coaches can watch every game and make an informed decision.

When Team A (ranked 12th) loses to Team B (ranked 10th), Team A gets dropped almost every single time. It doesn't matter that Team A played lights-out and should have won except for that fluke punt return where their defender slipped on the turf - the final score is what they vote on because they probably didn't see the game. Team A gets screwed, even though they played very well.

A computer will see that and not penalize Team A as much as a voter who only sees that they lost, not how they lost.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:41 pm

Ulitmately its too bad that we cant have both working in harmony. Its like the fact that we cant get a middle of the road president. If he's democratic, he's way on the left, if republican, way too far to the right. I favor the computer polls over the human polls. But the computers do miss the emotion aspect of the games that cant be ignored. To me ND is the best example of this.
I think the computers dropped ND too far after their loss to USC. Yes, ND lost to MSU, but I think most of us would agree that ND is a better team than MSU. But that loss is costing them a lot more than say, NU losing to MU is gonna cost NU, because MSU's season is now heading south where MU is now considered a conference contender. In the computers both loses will be treated equally when MSU, at the time, was a different and better team than they are right now even if only in terms of their psyche.
On the flip side, the pollsters got way to caught up in the emotional aftermath of "one of the greatest games ever". The only time I ever see a team lose and yet still maintain their ranking is usually after no1 and no2 play in a bowl game. For pollsters to not only not drop ND, but to keep them in the top10, goes against a trend thats been around for at least the last 25 years. ND, at the time, was a 4-2 football team. Rare is it, I cant think of any team off the top of my head, that starts a season 4-2 and remains in the top10. I think the pollsters voted with their hearts and not their heads and I believe they do this way too often.
I dont really have a nice, neat way to wrap this up, other than to say that I direct these comments mostly at the AP. The coaches poll to me is a complete joke. Athough I'll pose this question. I think we can all agree that the media people see some games, but not enough to force their opinions on us as fact. But why is it that the coaches poll, where admittedly they see very few games other than the ones they're involved in, always seem to so closely mirror the media poll? I know it cant be because they all think the same thing. Thats way to coincidental with all the different opinions out here. Any thoughts?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Return to College Football