Fantasy Football player insurance - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Football player insurance

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Football player insurance

Postby MiniDitkas » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:06 pm

Not sure if this has been posted here or not. I saw it over on another ff message board.

Two guys from NYC have come up with a business where you can buy insurance policies for your fantasy players, protecting you from losing out when they get injured.

Check out the article
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Fa ... in2012.htm

"A $9.95 protection plan for Walker, Brett Favre’s favorite target and a rising star in the league, would have paid out $85 because of when he went down. You’re allowed to take out up to five insurance plans on each player, meaning the total compensation could reach well into the hundreds of dollars."

I thought this was an amazing and unique idea. I guess it's been around since 2003, but I';ve never heard of it.

Anyone actually do this?
MiniDitkas
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:08 pm

That's unreal...
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pangbones » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:53 pm

I'm not sure I'd do it, but it is a unique idea. Who knows, everyone may be using it in 5 years!!
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby matmat » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:59 pm

opens up a whole new business of freak injury prediction!
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DrSpackle » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:07 pm

It's one of those ideas that are just so stupid, you know they will work. I bet these two twentysomethings retire as thirtysomethings.

Gotta love America! ;-D
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby saundman2000 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:32 pm

Buying insurance for something that isn't truly critical to your existence is pretty much burning money.

I doubt that too many FFL owners actually buy their policies, but the ones who do are the same guys who buy extended warrantees on electronics and supplimental insurance on rental cars.

Insurance is all based on statistics and statistically, you are wasting your money. :-t
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:41 pm

Actually if it is based on statistics then you'll do well. Many a player will miss at least one game due to injury.

If you are that serious about it, go ahead. Get insurance on your starting running backs and maybe a WR or two. And it might actually pay off.

Not sure if that's really worth it though... :-?
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The_Dude » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:49 pm

saundman2000 wrote:Buying insurance for something that isn't truly critical to your existence is pretty much burning money.

I doubt that too many FFL owners actually buy their policies, but the ones who do are the same guys who buy extended warrantees on electronics and supplimental insurance on rental cars.

Insurance is all based on statistics and statistically, you are wasting your money. :-t

Exactly right... we take out insurance on our car because its illegal not to, and on our lives because, well, we're risk averse.

Its sort of like the lottery - a tax on people who can't do math.

You forgot to include on your list the people who buy insurance at the blackjack table.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:04 pm

The_Dude wrote:
saundman2000 wrote:Buying insurance for something that isn't truly critical to your existence is pretty much burning money.

Exactly right... we take out insurance on our car because its illegal not to, and on our lives because, well, we're risk averse.

Its sort of like the lottery - a tax on people who can't do math.

You forgot to include on your list the people who buy insurance at the blackjack table.

If the math doesn't work out then don't do it. But it's possible that it might work out. This is called hedging your bets. It's not just a betting concept but it works in business too. It's not usually smart to put all of your eggs in one basket so if you are heavily into one thing buying "insurance" of one type or another may protect you from being disasterously wrong.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The_Dude » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:07 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:If the math doesn't work out then don't do it. But it's possible that it might work out. This is called hedging your bets. It's not just a betting concept but it works in business too. It's not usually smart to put all of your eggs in one basket so if you are heavily into one thing buying "insurance" of one type or another may protect you from being disasterously wrong.

What you're talking about is risk aversion, which you have to pay for... I'm talking about expected value in expected utility theory. You might make money here, but that's only if you're lucky. If they're calculating their insurance rates correctly, this company is making a killing (if they have any business).

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Next

Return to Football Talk