The Bears loss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Baltimore Ravens

The Bears loss

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Bears loss

Postby somasoul » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:05 pm

Okay, I've been a fan for four years and every Sunday I sit my small tookus in front of the TV to watch the Ravens. They have never been the most exciting team to watch but I do enjoy the suspense because in past years you never knew if the Ravens would win or lose. They were always an 8-8 team or a 9-7. But this year they are nearly unwatchable. The penelties slow everything down, they can't accomplish anything on offense, they barely have any take-aways on defense. And while our defense is still good it's hardly the beast it used to be. What happened to the time when four Ravens would be in on every tackle? Is Suggs anywhere near on track to his 12.5 sacks last year? Is Reed anywhere near 9 picks? Will Jamal Lewis ever carry the ball for more than 3 yards? And why do the only two people making tackles seem to be Ray Lewis and.......Will Demps? We have two pro-bowl corners, a pro-bowl safety, a defenseive rookie of the year, the best cover corner of all time, two defensive players of the year and three pro-bowl linebackers but it's our free-agent SAFETY always running up and stopping the run. Why is this?

These games are completely uninteresting to watch........boring even. Mr. Zastadil gets twice as many touches as Derrick Mason and our Pro-bowl TE Todd Heap. In the past everyone has blamed our WR situation and our QB situation. Watching Anthony Wright complete 5 passes in row in pouring down rain leaves me to not point my fingers at him, at seeing our recievers not drop passes like in previous years and gain yards after the catch leaves to believe they are doing a decent job. This is the first time ever, me thinks, that the passing game is the one aspect we are doing well in.........at least, by Ravens standards, doing acceptable in.
somasoul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PACKman1144 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:26 pm

Well the Ravens have never eally been a sexy team. In terms of an electric offense, passing it all over the field lighting up the scoreboard. we are always, run first. Get a few points. Then let your defense carry you through. So I really have nothing against that part of the game. I do agree that the penalties have been out of control. And we aren't creating turnovers like we need to. Now I think we all knew we were not going to get that scoring drive at the end there, but what is wrong is that we only got 2 FG's before hand.

There is nothing wrong with the style of smashmouth, big D, football we are playing. it has worked previously. Super Bowl year? But we are not doing the things we did when we were successful. The line is horrendous at run blocking, and pass blocking for that matter. This is killing our running game. Also offensively yesterday it seemed obvious the recievers were not getitng open. Wright was standing around every other play looking for an open reciever, that simply was not there.

Defensively we are not attacking the ball. Be it tackling the ball carrier or being aggresive and create to must make turnovers. In previous years we relied on great field posistion to get towards the endzone. With out that we stuggle. This also increases our time of possesion, which is crucial to our success as a team. It keeps the defense well rasted which allows them to me more productive. 3 and outs are just killing us.

As a team we have been very sloppy. Until that is fixed it looks like we're going no where fast.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby klaxs258 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:13 pm

i agree that our ofensive line has not been good vs the pass but last game they were fine its just that our mobile quaterback is a toad in the words of my dad. He just runs around in the pocket and gets sacked. I blame our offensive struggles on billick for not benching jamal. You can not say our offensive line cant block because chester is avgerage 6 yards a carry. So what we need to do is split the carries to about 60-40% in favor of chester just because i think having them rotate will have the defense on their heels. I also believe that chester is more of a thret out of the backfeild.
Last edited by klaxs258 on Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[b]Tiger Woods[/b]
2006 British Open Champion
Woods-11 Nicklaus-18
[b]Wins At Age 30[/b]
Woods-50 Nicklaus-33

[b]The Greatest Golfer ever Tiger Wood[/b]
klaxs258
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby somasoul » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:25 pm

On the topic of the Offensive co-oridinator......

I really like Fassel's play calling. I know that sounds idiotic seeing as how well the team is doing but in past years if it was 3rd and six Cavenaugh would call some rediculous run play. Fassel understands that even if you have a running game you shouldn't run on such downs and he trusts Anthony Wright to throw a 3rd and nine, which seems to be where Wright excels, oddly enough. And Fassel also utilizes more play action than Cavenaugh did and he calls plays that seem to be able to open up the field in other ways. With Cavenaugh you'd get some silly stuff, stuff that seemed brainless like the aforementioned running on 3rd and six or throwing on 3rd and 1 (this was when the team could always run for two yards) or calling for some long ball thrown at some crucial point for a team that just didn't throw that well.
somasoul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby klaxs258 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:11 pm

somasoul wrote:On the topic of the Offensive co-oridinator......

I really like Fassel's play calling. I know that sounds idiotic seeing as how well the team is doing but in past years if it was 3rd and six Cavenaugh would call some rediculous run play. Fassel understands that even if you have a running game you shouldn't run on such downs and he trusts Anthony Wright to throw a 3rd and nine, which seems to be where Wright excels, oddly enough. And Fassel also utilizes more play action than Cavenaugh did and he calls plays that seem to be able to open up the field in other ways. With Cavenaugh you'd get some silly stuff, stuff that seemed brainless like the aforementioned running on 3rd and six or throwing on 3rd and 1 (this was when the team could always run for two yards) or calling for some long ball thrown at some crucial point for a team that just didn't throw that well.

Did you read my post at all. Fassel is not even calling plays. Basically all he is doing is running practice drills with the team at practice. This is because Billick thinks he is the second coming of God, and thinks he can do everything to run a football team. Kind of like Angelos and the Orioles

[b]Tiger Woods[/b]
2006 British Open Champion
Woods-11 Nicklaus-18
[b]Wins At Age 30[/b]
Woods-50 Nicklaus-33

[b]The Greatest Golfer ever Tiger Wood[/b]
klaxs258
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby somasoul » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:31 pm

klaxs258 wrote:Fassel is not even calling plays.

I do believe that Fassel calls all the offensive plays. This is why Billick sent Fassel up to the booth, to see better, to call plays better. Fassel is never on the field during a game for this very reason.
somasoul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SniperShot » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:24 pm

I hate Fassel. He's just buddy-buddy with Brian. Anyway I love watching the Ravens D in past years they were just awesome and the first half vs Indy they were the best. Then something happened in that 2nd half vs Indy that seemed to funk the Ravens into this 7 week slump I think. Believe me the Ravens played superbowl D in the first half holding Indy to 3 points. I think Brian needs to take better control of this team. We are huge underdogs heading into Pittsburgh but I think we still have life left. We just need some guys to step it up.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:32 am

there are so many issues its impossible to pin it on even a few things. the o-line, penalties, injuries, and billicks attitude all seem to factor into the teams lack of productivity. id say through it all the penalties piss me off the most. i dont know how many 3rd down penalties we commit on both offense and defense that are just plain backbreakers. they need to get that crap in check if the ravens want to win. i agree with the talk about rayray and demps doing a lot of work..those two guys are looking insane and the rest of the team is no where to be found. Mcallister makes a nice tackle here and there but half the time he is losing his jock at the expense of some no-name WR. i dont know what the deal with suggs is....after that costly personal foul against the lions and now that broken coverage against the bears he is leaving me scratching my head. i am shocked at the lack of INTs this season but i can see that the reason is because we arent getting enough pressure on the QBs for them to make bad throws. as for the jamal/chester debate....im kind of split. i think some people are confusing chesters YPC average and what he does now with what he might do as the starter. teams dont gameplan for chester now, they gameplan for jamal. chester also has much fresher legs, which does make a difference especially late in games. the lack of good o-line hurts jamal a lot more than it hurts a speedy , recieving back like chester..so that might be why he is doing so much better.. jamal doesnt quite have the moves to get out of trouble in the backfield like chester. jamal doesnt look the same as he has in the past, but if you watch the games (i have watched all of them) he doesnt have anywhere to run 95% of the time. ogden isnt what he used to be and it shows. if you watch the games, pay attention not only to how fast jamal is getting hit, but how many guys are getting to him...its usually 2 or 3 guys.

so...chester might be the better back for the current situation, but with a decent o-line i still think jamal would kill chester. it will be interesting to see what billick does with the situation. obviously it wont be pretty this week against the steelers either....

im not giving up hope, there is enough talent on this team to turn it around...hopefully they get everything under control...and soon. id love to see a win against the squeelers.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dciguy01 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:34 pm

PACKman1144 wrote:Well the Ravens have never eally been a sexy team. In terms of an electric offense, passing it all over the field lighting up the scoreboard. we are always, run first. Get a few points. Then let your defense carry you through. So I really have nothing against that part of the game. I do agree that the penalties have been out of control. And we aren't creating turnovers like we need to. Now I think we all knew we were not going to get that scoring drive at the end there, but what is wrong is that we only got 2 FG's before hand.

There is nothing wrong with the style of smashmouth, big D, football we are playing. it has worked previously. Super Bowl year? But we are not doing the things we did when we were successful. The line is horrendous at run blocking, and pass blocking for that matter. This is killing our running game. Also offensively yesterday it seemed obvious the recievers were not getitng open. Wright was standing around every other play looking for an open reciever, that simply was not there.

Defensively we are not attacking the ball. Be it tackling the ball carrier or being aggresive and create to must make turnovers. In previous years we relied on great field posistion to get towards the endzone. With out that we stuggle. This also increases our time of possesion, which is crucial to our success as a team. It keeps the defense well rasted which allows them to me more productive. 3 and outs are just killing us.

As a team we have been very sloppy. Until that is fixed it looks like we're going no where fast.

what's all this WE and OUR talk? I didn't know you were on the Ravens team?
dciguy01
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:55 pm

dciguy01 wrote:what's all this WE and OUR talk? I didn't know you were on the Ravens team?

deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baltimore Ravens