Texas new #1 in BCS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Texas new #1 in BCS

Moderator: Football Moderators

Texas new #1 in BCS

Postby JayM09 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:31 pm

here

USC falls out of BCS top spot

Southern California and Texas are in control at the top of the Bowl Championship Series standings for the second straight week. However, their positions are reversed.

The Longhorns are ranked No. 2 in the USA Today and Harris Interactive polls and are ranked No. 1 in all five computer polls except Sagarin. Texas took over the top spot in the standings Monday, with a BCS grade of .9763. The second-place Trojans, who last week had a BCS grade of .9923, were not far behind at .9756.

Rounding out the top 10 are Virginia Tech (.9164), Georgia (.8679), Alabama (.8513), UCLA (.7384), Miami (.7114), LSU (.7065), Penn State (.6450) and Florida State (.5735).
[b]cafe leagues
nkl 9-6 #3 seed, runner-up
budbowl 10-5 #3 seed. 3rd place
vxl 11-4 #1 seed, runner-up
gbffl 10-5 #2 seed, lost semis
cafe champs 12-4 #1 seed, runner-up[/b]
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:35 pm

USC has no business being ranked that highly....

If either GA or AL goes undefeated and the championship game is Texas v. USC I would not be at all surprised to see the SEC withdraw from the BCS....

Another year with a team from the toughest conference in America going undefeated only to see teams in joke conferences play in the big game would just be too much....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:10 pm

At least the Pac-10 has some decent competition, the Big 12 is just a joke.

I'd love nothing more than to see USC, Texas, VT and AL/GA finish undefeated just to further make a mockery of one of the most ill-conceived ideas in modern sports history.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:00 pm

Seeing USC drop out of the top spot with the joke schedule they play year in year out does not surprise me.

However, them falling behind a team like Texas, who also plays a pretty pathetic schedule, isn't exactly what I had in mind.

To be fair, I DO think that USC and Texas are the two best teams in the country this year. But I also think that the chances that either of them would make it through the season undefeated in a tougher conference are quite slim.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby VaderFin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:51 pm

The more controversy the better. There is alot of season left though...I still think there won't be more then 2 undefeated teams come years end.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PACKman1144 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:02 pm

Texas vs. Virginia Tech is the best National Championship game I think we can have at this point. USC almost lost to Notre Dame. While ND is good, Texas and Va Tech are in another league. Usc gets off to slow starts every game, they can't come from behind like that against VA Tech or Texas.

This does create another major BCS issue ecspecially if 'Bama takes ths thing out undefeated. I'll make a thread about it in a bit.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:56 pm

ironman wrote:At least the Pac-10 has some decent competition, the Big 12 is just a joke.

Not saying I disagree, just curious what your basing this off of: records, media's rankings, what?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:50 am

All I'm saying is this... Let's assume at the end of the year there are four undefeated schools:

Texas
USC
Va Tech
Alabama/Georgia

If Texas goes undefeated they will have beaten the following ranked opponents, and their opponent in the Big 12 Championship will likely be unranked:

Ohio State (currently 13th)
Texas Tech (currently 17th)

If USC goes undefeated they will have beaten the following ranked opponents:

Oregon (14th)
Notre Dame (10th)
Cal (21st)
Fresno State (24th)
UCLA (8th)

If Va Tech goes undefeated they will have beaten the following ranked opponents, and we'll assume FSU in the Championship game:

West VA (17th)
Boston College (11th)
Miami (6th)
FSU (10th)

If Georgia goes undefeated they will have beaten the following ranked opponents, and we'll assume Alabama in the Championship game:

Tennessee (25th)
Florida (18th)
Auburn (19th)
Alabama (5th)

If Alabama goes undefeated they will have beaten the following ranked opponents, and we'll assume Georgia in the Championship game:

Florida (18th)
Tennessee (25th)
LSU (7th)
Auburn (19th)
Georgia (4th)

OK, let's crunch some numbers.... We will assign a ranking of 30th to all the schools that the teams play which are unranked....

Let's look at the strength of schedules:

Texas' average opponent: 27.2

USC's average opponenet: 23.9

Va Tech's average opponent: 23.7

Georgia's average opponent: 25.6

Alabama's average opponent: 23.6

So, by strength of schedule comparison, it would appear that if all of: Texas, USC, Va Tech, and Alabama go undefeatd, they should be ranked as follows:

Alabama
Va Tech
USC
Texas

And Texas, should not even be in consideration if there are more than 2 undefeated teams, because they have by far the easiest schedule of the 5....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:47 am

Plindsey, that's a great analysis but it's inherently flawed because you're basing it on opinion poll rankings. I understand that this is the data you have so that's all you can use, but there it is.

Your four-team undefeated scenario is yet ANOTHER argument for scrapping the BCS and moving to a playoff. How do you REALLY know that the Pac-10 is weaker than the SEC/SCC/Big XII? It's a crapshoot, and again all you can base it on is conjecture.

I'd really like to see a four-team playoff between USC, Texas, VA Tech and Georgia. That would be three must-watch games, don't you agree?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby daullaz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:19 am

knapplc wrote:Plindsey, that's a great analysis but it's inherently flawed because you're basing it on opinion poll rankings. I understand that this is the data you have so that's all you can use, but there it is.

Your four-team undefeated scenario is yet ANOTHER argument for scrapping the BCS and moving to a playoff. How do you REALLY know that the Pac-10 is weaker than the SEC/SCC/Big XII? It's a crapshoot, and again all you can base it on is conjecture.

I'd really like to see a four-team playoff between USC, Texas, VA Tech and Georgia. That would be three must-watch games, don't you agree?

But how do you stop at four teams? I know the Big Ten hasn't been as good this year as in year's past, but I think their champion deserves a chance to play for the national title.

And the Big East is still considered a big conference (at least, they get a berth into a BCS game). Give West Virgina a shot at playing for the title.

While I agree that a playoff would better determine a national champion than the current system, I don't know that a four-team playoff would be the answer. Although I have to say, I'd like to see those four teams play too. :-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to College Football