Texas new #1 in BCS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Texas new #1 in BCS

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:26 am

Those four teams meeting in the Semis and beyond are a "dream scenario."

If you're going to do a true playoff you have to have at least 12 if not 16 teams. I'm just assuming that those four would be among the finalists.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:38 am

I have to agree with knapplc, that despite Plindsey 88's well informed arguement, its all based on these screwball "human" popularity contests. IMO, Texas, SC are the top2 (order doesnt matter), I put VTech a step below just because I think Vick is as much of a liability as an asset to that team. IMO many of the SEC teams are overrated, or at the very least are given too much credit due to their names. The best win any of the SEC teams have is over a 3-3 Tennessee team. Whats their greatest non-conference feat? LSU beating a 3-3, Arizona St team? Do I think ASU was a better team then? I do. But again, its my opinion. I've got nothing concrete to back that up. What does UCLA, as a whole, have going for them other than their 8-0 record, that makes one say, "Wow!, What a great team."? Cal, IMO, is a good, but not so good that a top10 should have to struggle mightily to beat them. IMO I would put TT right along with UCLA as far as either teams that are good but not great and/or overrated.

You know I guess this debating crap is somewhat fun. But, jeez, could you imagine the NFL deciding playoffs or Super Bowls, based on IMOs? Voters' lives would be lost!
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

knapplc wrote:Those four teams meeting in the Semis and beyond are a "dream scenario."

If you're going to do a true playoff you have to have at least 12 if not 16 teams. I'm just assuming that those four would be among the finalists.

What I always thought would be cool (It'll never happen.) would be to have a March Madness type tournament where if you werent invited you had nothing to bitch about and, despite the amount of teams, the last 2 standing wouldnt play any more games than we've seem some teams play over the last 7-8 years.

I had this all broken down at one time, but ultimately you would have EVERY D-1 conference champion in the mix. If Harvard wins the ivy league then they're in! Maybe at No.64. Anyway you fill the rest of the field with at larges, either based on a BCS ranking, committee, or what have you. If youre ranked 45th and dont get in you have nothing to bitch about.

Conferenc championship games wouldnt be needed. Record and the ususal tie-breakers would determine conference chamipions. Also, a 12th game isnt added to the schedules. The higher seeded team plays host or the lower tiered bowls could place host since they'd throw a stink about not being included. The last 4 games would be played in the major bowls.

If memory servers, it might not, I think in '96 BYU played 16 games and NU played 15 games. Maybe it was 15/14 respectively. The most any team would play would be 17 games and that would be only the final 2 teams. If that was too many, the regualar season could be knocked down to 10 games to make it happen or present byes for maybe the top 16 teams or something.

I think it'd be awesome to see, but I know that nothing remotely closed to that (48 teams or something) will ever happen.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:22 am

Yes, the "my conference is better than your conference" argument is always a laugher. It's all based on conjecture and opinion, and usually on one game one person saw from one or two teams from one conference cements their opinion of that conference.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:41 pm

I say we drop the non-conference games from the schedule of every school and add a 16-team tournament to the end of the year...

Every school would play 10 regular season games, and then those that got into the tournament would have at most another 4 games....

That kind of schedule would be easily fit into the current NCAA football season...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:53 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:I say we drop the non-conference games from the schedule of every school and add a 16-team tournament to the end of the year...

A lot of people (or at least those who's opinons get to count) would poo-poo that idea. But I think that would be very neat. It would put an end to the "which conference is better debates" and it would add an unbiased way to get into the tournament: Win the conference or youre out.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:56 pm

I don't know, Plindsey. Those Texas/LA Lafayette and Michigan/Eastern Michigan games would be tough to give up...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:59 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:I say we drop the non-conference games from the schedule of every school and add a 16-team tournament to the end of the year...

A lot of people (or at least those who's opinons get to count) would poo-poo that idea. But I think that would be very neat. It would put an end to the "which conference is better debates" and it would add an unbiased way to get into the tournament: Win the conference or youre out.

That's not necessarily so.... We would base the top 16 teams that get invited on rankings... Kinda like the BCS.... So you could have 4 ACC teams, 4 SEC teams, 3 Big-10 teams, 2 Pac-10 teams, 2 Big-12 teams, and Notre Dame in the tournament, but no one from the Big East or the lesser conferences.... It wouldn't make any sense to include a team like Miami of Ohio only to leave out a team like LSU....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:01 pm

knapplc wrote:I don't know, Plindsey. Those Texas/LA Lafayette and Michigan/Eastern Michigan games would be tough to give up...

Hey, I'm an FSU fan.... We would be giving up one of the biggest non-conference rivalries in college football (FSU v. Florida)... BUT, there is a chance we would pick it back up in the tournament....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:50 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:

That's not necessarily so.... We would base the top 16 teams that get invited on rankings... Kinda like the BCS.... So you could have 4 ACC teams, 4 SEC teams, 3 Big-10 teams, 2 Pac-10 teams, 2 Big-12 teams, and Notre Dame in the tournament, but no one from the Big East or the lesser conferences.... It wouldn't make any sense to include a team like Miami of Ohio only to leave out a team like LSU....

One flaw comes to mind though, and that is the ranking system. Funny how the arguement always ends up about rankings. Anyway it would be even tougher than it is now for teams with identical records to be ranked fairly if all you're playing is your own conference. Not saying that the 3 bs inter-conference games that most teams play every year make it easy to judge them fairly, but it least it provides some basis for arguement. How would you potentially judge the 3rd best Big10 team against the 3rd best SEC team to see who gets that 16th spot or higher seeding?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to College Football